Add HUD to SLT

11 hours ago, WwRGSwW said:

Anyone tried to add the HUD to the SLT?   No parts manuals are online yet,   curious on what connectors it needs.  

The HUD windshield has a special interior coating that properly reflects the projected information from the HUD module. Your HUD will be useless if you install it on a  non-HUD windshield. You will need a new dash for the HUD cut out, programing etc, connectors would be the very least of your parts list, not that simple.

Edited by Silverado4x4

10 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

The HUD windshield has a special interior coating that properly reflects the projected information from the HUD module. Your HUD will be useless if you install it on a  non-HUD windshield. You will need a new dash for the HUD cut out, programing etc, connectors would be the very least of your parts list, not that simple.

Connectors were the wrong word,  as I know they make most wiring harness stock,  what I did not know was the windshield.   That was the one I was not expecting.     Dash, HUD, etc I was expecting. 

I don't expect its going to be an issue getting the windshield replaced before the HUD.  

Edited by WwRGSwW

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 9:23 PM, WwRGSwW said:

Connectors were the wrong word,  as I know they make most wiring harness stock,  what I did not know was the windshield.   That was the one I was not expecting.     Dash, HUD, etc I was expecting. 

I don't expect its going to be an issue getting the windshield replaced before the HUD.  

@WwRGSwW, I don't want to get your hopes up, as I have not done much research yet, but you may be able to add an interior window film (or possibly tint) that can give you the same benefit as a "specialty" windshield being discussed in this topic.  My father just picked up his 2019 Silverado LT All Star and I plan to do some awesome modifications to his truck for him.  One thing I've always liked is a HUD and I hope to look into this over the next month or so.  Just food for thought.

• Like 2

I have the HUD and the windshield is stamped “HUD” in the corner. I suspect that trucks with forward collision alert/ safety package II (but no HUD) also have an HUD-ready windshield since it flashes the alerts on the windshield. So it would be an easier journey to add HUD if the truck already has that package. 

On the other hand, the HUD-ready windshield may not be completely necessary. I added HUD to my 1994 Cutlass and the image was fine with the normal windshield. That said, it was a very rudimentary HUD setup from an early 90s Grand Prix. Speed only, nothing fancy.

We have helped facilitate this for a few dealers, we need to see which cluster you have then custom program it to enable all of the outputs properly then you wire it in (overly simplifying it but thats the gist). If you choose to get the windshield thats up to you, I'd see how it looks first without it then go from there sometimes you get lucky :)  The good news is this is a much simpler process than it was on the K2 platform. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I have the HUD and the windshield is stamped “HUD” in the corner. I suspect that trucks with forward collision alert/ safety package II (but no HUD) also have an HUD-ready windshield since it flashes the alerts on the windshield. So it would be an easier journey to add HUD if the truck already has that package. 

On the other hand, the HUD-ready windshield may not be completely necessary. I added HUD to my 1994 Cutlass and the image was fine with the normal windshield. That said, it was a very rudimentary HUD setup from an early 90s Grand Prix. Speed only, nothing fancy.

Where is that stamped?   Drivers side or pass?    I have the Safety Alert (RED light),  but I dont see HUD on mine.  

2 minutes ago, WwRGSwW said:

Where is that stamped?   Drivers side or pass?    I have the Safety Alert (RED light),  but I dont see HUD on mine.  

Passenger side at the bottom. “HUD” is written in a little box.DFDB34A3-59DB-4A32-91C3-E0A521A93877.thumb.jpeg.dfd560aecf1e193947f8b8404bdce0b6.jpeg

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Passenger side at the bottom. “HUD” is written in a little box.DFDB34A3-59DB-4A32-91C3-E0A521A93877.thumb.jpeg.dfd560aecf1e193947f8b8404bdce0b6.jpeg

Unfortunately I was not that lucky.     Mine does not say HUD.    I can't tell,  can you read the part number for yours? 

I see things getting pretty spendy in a hurry. Even if the thing works fine with the original windshield (which it may)...one can only imagine what the HUD module itself costs from GM, along with the switch, trim panels, and then the reflash.

Don't get me wrong, it’s a cool feature and I rely on it as my speedometer, but I don’t know if it’s “$2000 out of pocket after the fact” cool. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shiro said:

@WwRGSwW, I don't want to get your hopes up, as I have not done much research yet, but you may be able to add an interior window film (or possibly tint) that can give you the same benefit as a "specialty" windshield being discussed in this topic.  My father just picked up his 2019 Silverado LT All Star and I plan to do some awesome modifications to his truck for him.  One thing I've always liked is a HUD and I hope to look into this over the next month or so.  Just food for thought.

I loved it in my 2013 Camaro. Cant believe it's not part of a safety package on all vehicles by now.