Anyone using the 400W bed power output?

1 hour ago, 19SierraX31 said:

What about adding a second battery to run the outlet off of?

maybe.....I have 2500 HD and have spot for second battery under the hood, may have to look into that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 19SierraX31 said:

Just a second battery probably isn't enough if you want to use that outlet for awhile with regular appliances.  Most expect to have about 15A available (power tools, for example), and 15A at 115VAC needs at least 150A at 12VDC to the inverter.  That will drain the battery pretty quickly, and even exceed the output of the base alternator if you left truck running and had the motor sped up to be able to put out that maximum output (it can't at idle).

11 hours ago, 19SierraX31 said:

2019 and newer don't have a spot for 2nd battery.  At least not if you have a 6.2L engine.  My 2016 with the 5.3L does have a spot.

Additional battery, high output alternator(225a+), high idle switch and replacing the inverter for one capable of 1200-1500 watts min would all be required. Lots of work and cost to do it. Cheaper to just buy a stand alone gas generator if you use a lot of AC powered tools. Or go with a good quality battery setup. The battery chargers are ok in the 400watt receptacle... Just my 2c.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

a little late but just to figure out how to calculate your wattage usage... 120v X <your appliance Amps Usage> = Wattage... 

i.e. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/1-gallon-135-psi-ultra-quiet-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64592.html

2.8 amps of usage...  120 X 2.8 = 336 watts.   

Less than 400. So I should be good.  ;)... hope this helps.. 

Edited by Parrish Mooneyham
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, davester said:

maybe either check the owners manual or phone the dealer and find out if it can easily be changed over to getting always on power.  I recall that in the past, there was some power outlet (might have been just a 12V) that had an easy method for switching between key-on power and always-on power.

Actually, there probably isn't a way to do it, unless there is a switch in the outlet to notice when something is plugged in, to turn on the inverter.  If the inverter were always on, it would drain the battery.  You probably will have to re-wire the inverter to get power with the key off, with a remote switch near the outlet for convenience to turn the inverter on and off, maybe with a timer so you don't kill your battery in the middle of nowhere leaving it on.

There is an alternative fuse slot for the 120v just swith slots for "always on"

14 hours ago, michael.matchett.myk@gmail said:

There is an alternative fuse slot for the 120v just swith slots for "always on"

Have you done this? If you move it will the button no longer function and stay green all the time even with the truck off? I know you can long press the start stop to put it in acc mode but that is putting needless drain on the battery. I know the outlet will most likely would be used for bigger drain items then the cigarette lighter socket but even so that gets constant power. 

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, Richard Palmer said:

Yes well I tried to use it, I needed to cut some pipe with a portable band saw and it tripped out. I guess it’s only good for a lamp. Not happy about it at all and the that was a big selling point for me. 

Really?  It was a big selling point, but you did zero research on it?  Good thing the truck was only, what $50+K. 

Maybe you can claim the salesman tricked you into buying the truck by showing you how powerful the outlet was by plugging in an electric shaver, and return the truck...

Edited by davester
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...