Anyone using the 400W bed power output?

The outlet in the bed of my 2019 Sierra works without the engine running. Just hold down the start button for a few seconds to turn on ACC.

It only works for 10 minutes, then you need to turn off ACC and turn it back on. I just had it running for about an hour without ever turning on the engine.

• Like 2

Mount LED flood lights on top of the sports bar and/or set on a hitch mount, connect to a 12v transformer plugged into the bed outlet and you have an OEM lighted, dash controlled switch for controlling off road lighting without the need for a separate relay and aftermarket switch.

• Like 1

I’ve always found the best option is to connect the inverter to the battery using good quality , protected, and adequate gauge wire. Use a fusable link between the battery and the positive cable so if something shorts, the fuse will blow. I mounted my inverter under the rear seat then used a heavy extension cord to go from there. You do have to stay conscious of your battery level so you don’t drain it to the point you can’t start the truck to recharge. 

Edited by Cali Tom

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, Street Queen said:

So basically, the bed power outlet is only realistically useful if I need to charge something in the bed while driving.  Kind of a pointless option I guess.....

Assuming you were being sarcastic? I am coming from a Tacoma that had a bed outlet and I used it all the time. Having a bed outlet was one of the deciding factors getting a Sierra since GM is the 1/2 ton that offers a bed outlet. My truck is a week old so I haven't had a chance to really test it out, but i regularly use it in the woods to run a chain saw sharpener while cutting firewood,  inflate white water rafts and recharge lap tops (while driving). 

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, redwngr said:

Typical 115V plug is on a 15A breaker -- so about 1700W.

I don't understand why people are surprised that 400W won't run power tools.

Don’t you understand one of the purposes of the internet is to give people a platform to complain about things that they don’t understand?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...

I got conv 2 pkg for the outlets and premium infotainment but the premium isn't much different than the conv 1 pkg info and outlets are useless for what I need them for.....maybe it will be one of those things in year or so ill have to do something and be glad I got it