Anyone using the 400W bed power output?

Just curious if anyone has used the bed power outlet? It does not operate when the truck is turned off. I am thinking about getting the rear tent and that outlet would be nice if it was functional when the truck is off.  So what Is it’s utility since it does not have its own battery source? Thx

I feel the exact same way, bought it because the idea of camping in the back of the truck was appealing then I discovered the plug doesn't even work when it's off, not even if I use the keyless to start the engine either.

maybe either check the owners manual or phone the dealer and find out if it can easily be changed over to getting always on power.  I recall that in the past, there was some power outlet (might have been just a 12V) that had an easy method for switching between key-on power and always-on power.

Actually, there probably isn't a way to do it, unless there is a switch in the outlet to notice when something is plugged in, to turn on the inverter.  If the inverter were always on, it would drain the battery.  You probably will have to re-wire the inverter to get power with the key off, with a remote switch near the outlet for convenience to turn the inverter on and off, maybe with a timer so you don't kill your battery in the middle of nowhere leaving it on.

12V is always-on. Says so in my manual. Now, I could use the keyless ignition to start the engine but I'd have to be inside the truck to push the brake.

On my F-150, the remote start didn't activate the 110V plugs.. major disappointment there.

It didn't work with my Silverado either. It looks like it has to be in the on position or with engine running.

9 minutes ago, O Town Denali said:

Truck must be running

And not by remote start which I verified. It would be great if I could, start it up, start a coffee machine, turn it off.. well, I know it can't go over 400W though. I thought I could do that to quick charge a phone but that seems to be out. Would be convenient though.

• Thanks 1

Yall are so negative! What about the option to "blend up some smoothies while you're waiting for the game to start"?! ?

Basically, GM's bed outlet is the same as Honda Ridgeline's. So if you're wondering what you can actually do with it, here you go... 

I'd use a 12V cigarette lighter do-hickey for charging a phone, as they are cheap, and most trucks have an always-on plug.  And it'll likely be more efficient as well, as there less conversions (12V to about 5V vs 12VDC to 110VAC to 5VDC).

5 hours ago, econometrics said:

Yall are so negative! What about the option to "blend up some smoothies while you're waiting for the game to start"?! ?

Basically, GM's bed outlet is the same as Honda Ridgeline's. So if you're wondering what you can actually do with it, here you go... 

The dude in that video is such a dork. Lmao

sorry couldn’t resist.  CARRY ON!

• Haha 2