Anyone using the 400W bed power output?

Sure, you just have to figure out where to mount it so you can access the plugs, route some cables from the battery to the unit, buy new connectors so you can hook it up to the battery/fuse box somewhere instead of using those battery clamps, and add a fuse to the +ve wire.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:24 PM, mrbflat said:

I'm fine with the power limitations, honestly. What I have an issue with is that it can only be run for short periods with the ignition. This goes back to GM forcing this 15 minute nonsense on us though. I was going to use it to tailgate, and 400W is plenty for a TV. But, GM won't let you leave the truck running. 

1 hour ago, 1454 said:

Was this at me? I would leave the truck running. But can't do that. 

Yes, I have not really done much tailgating, so was not sure how people did it.  I thought alot of folks just used a generator.  Wouldn't that cause you to have to idle the engine for hours?? Not to mention, the exhaust fumes blowing into your tailgate area.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrbflat said:

Yes, I have not really done much tailgating, so was not sure how people did it.  I thought alot of folks just used a generator.  Wouldn't that cause you to have to idle the engine for hours?? Not to mention, the exhaust fumes blowing into your tailgate area.  

Most do. I prefer not to carry any more than I absolutely need to. I wouldn't be concerned about 16 or so hours a year on my truck from tailgating. That's just me, though. Exhaust is a concern, but as much as is blowing around tailgates anyway, I doubt it would really matter much. IMO. 

That being said, GM shuts us down at 15 minutes, so it won't work anyway. Basically the plug, in this case, IMO, is useless. There are a about 50 ways they could have tried to make it useful, but they didn't. Unfortunately. 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:38 AM, davester said:

Really?  It was a big selling point, but you did zero research on it?  Good thing the truck was only, what $50+K. 

Maybe you can claim the salesman tricked you into buying the truck by showing you how powerful the outlet was by plugging in an electric shaver, and return the truck...

Why be a Di** about it though ? 

Not to be a D###.

I had an off grid home for 20 years. Designed and installed the solar system myself. Did a lot of research on line, phone calls and learned about using inverters. If you didn't do your research I don't feel sorry for you. You drank the cool aide. 

The internet is a wonderful tool.

You bought a feature you knew nothing about.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, davester said:

note, some appliances may use a lot more current when they start up, so while their power usage once going may be within the limit, their startup current may blow the fuse...

Ya I forgot to mention that... i.e. refrigerators and AC units and even power saws etc...  so ya what Davester stated... there are tools the require what they call 'starting watts' vs 'running watts'.  My apologies for forgetting that crucial bit of info.  After getting into that for trying to figure out my home wattage usage for a portable generator connection, for example, my home fridge is a 400 watt 'running' watts but to kick it on takes 1200 'starting' watts.. So ya.  

• 8 months later...

I carry med's that require being kept cold.  I run an electric cooler off of the box receptacle. I did have a deep cycle battery setup with a power port as a backup when I had to turn off the truck for ferry rides or lunch time stops. I just ordered from Amazon a 1200w portable power station. It provides 992Wh of power with 1200W continuous and 3600W peak output. I wanted to run my 115V, 5a (575W) house freezer with a 17.6 LRA (2235.2 surge watts) as well as the cooler in the back of the truck. Many of the power stations have pass through now so while traveling I'll plug the cooler into the power station and the power station into the 400w inverter of the truck. The 1200w power station max charges at 280w input and the cooler runs at 47w. Sounds great in theory doesn't it? lol 

Edited by Gene G
remove my name from post since registration has my name.