Stock hitch class?

I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 double cab with the 6.2L.  According to GM, this truck is supposed to be capable of towing up to 9100 lbs (I don't have the max tow package), but I'm not sure what class the factory hitch is?

My son bought a "project" car (a 1980 Mercury Capri with a 302 v-8 in it) and we need to tow up here to my house to begin the project.  I can't use a dolly because PA says if any of the wheels are touching the road it has to be registered and have a tag, so that means I have to rent a car hauler trailer from u-haul.  The trailer is 2230ish lbs and the curb weight on the car (per spec) is a little over 2600lbs.  I'm gonna be safe and say 5,000lbs total for trailer and car.  With that weight, that means I'm looking at a tongue weight of around 750 to 800lbs. 

Before I go buy a ball mount that can handle 1,000+ pounds tongue weight, I want to be sure the hitch can take that (and I can't find my freakin truck manual).  I looked in the glove box and the sticker there only references maximum slide in camper weight.

Anyone know if the factory hitch is a class III or IV?

Hmmm.  Then I read this at https://www.reese-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes:

Class III - Larger trailers and accessories

1. Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 600 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW).
  2. Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW)

I don' think that stock class III hitch is a weight distribution hitch? 

Tag on the bottom of receiver.

33bcdf866789658dab1c8344fee57e50.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

Mine is 5.3 work truck, don't know what that class hitch is but hopefully you have a tag in the same place.

2 hours ago, EDL said:

I don' think that stock class III hitch is a weight distribution hitch? 

Class 3 hitch can be used with a standard ball mount or a WD set up. Weight Distribution is a type of ball mount system with some bars and sometimes sway control depending how fancy you get.

Check out etrailer.com enter your truck info it will go over the rest.

Don't forget to check for a local trailer place they can set you up usually cheaper then most online places and have better service.  

I went with a weigh-safe ball mount very nice set up, some even have built in scales, mine did not.

Another great reference.

https://www.curtmfg.com/understanding-towing/introduction

Edited by Timd32

Class III

These versatile trailer hitch receivers are typically installed on pickup trucks, minivans, and full-size SUVs. Class III hitches use a 2" x 2" receiver tube for the ball mount, and they are rated for towing a gross trailer weight ranging from 3,500 to 6,000 lbs and a tongue weight ranging from 350 to 600 lbs. These are usually used for towing mid-sized campers, utility trailers, and mid-sized boats.

Opening Sizes GTW Tongue Weight Capacity
2" 3,500-6,000 lbs 350-600 lbs

Class IV

These heavy-duty hitch receivers are typically installed on heavy-duty pickup trucks and large SUVs. Class IV hitches use a 2" x 2" receiver tube for the ball mount, and they are rated for towing a gross trailer weight ranging from 6,000 to 10,000 lbs and a tongue weight ranging from 600 to 1,000 lbs. These are usually used for towing heavy loads, including large campers, boats, and toy haulers.

2" 6,000-10,000 lbs 600-1,000 lbs

Class V

These hitch receivers are the heaviest-duty models that can be installed on the rear of a tow vehicle, and they’re typically mounted on heavy-duty and commercial trucks. Class V hitches use a 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" receiver tube for the ball mount, and they are rated for towing a gross trailer weight of more than 10,000 lbs and a tongue weight ranging from 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. These are usually used for towing heavy loads including full-sized campers, large boats, and equipment trailers of all sizes.

2-1/2" Over 10,000 lbs 1,000-1,200 lbs

1 hour ago, Mozzer said:

As both class 3 & 4 have 2" receiver, how does someone tell what class hitch they have if the original info is not stamped on there?

There will be something stamped on it somewhere. Just look around

3 hours ago, Mozzer said:

As both class 3 & 4 have 2" receiver, how does someone tell what class hitch they have if the original info is not stamped on there?

Look for RPO codes Z82 and Z85 on the placard in the glove box.

I know what I have, I was more thinking about older vehicles that could have some random aftermarket hitch. Maybe if the sticker/tag is gone or illegible then it's time for a change anyway.

If class IV hitches are only good for 10,000lbs or less, why would i have a class IV hitch for my max tow of 10,800lbs? I would Guess the 6.2 max tow would only have the class IV too but be able tow 12,000lbs.

Mine (photo above) says it's good for 12,000 lbs.

• Like 1