Mechanical Vacuum Pump-Special Coverage Program

Hey all. I received a letter from GM Canada that indicated there may be an issue with the vacuum pump which could cause issues with braking. No recall, but an extended warranty to 6 years 116,000km. Anyone have to have this issue fixed? Thanks.

Were these issues only related to Canadian built trucks? I bought mine used here in the u.s. but it was originally sold and built in Canada. I also got same letter.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It's a global extended warranty and impacts trucks from all over (not just Canada) - see the embedded thread below. My understanding is they will only replace the brake vacuum pump if it displaying issues, but it doesn't hurt to ask your dealer. The problem is that it loses vacuum and the brake pedal becomes extremely hard to push in and stop. Fortunately it seems to only happen at slow speeds, but scary nonetheless. I had the issue happen late last year and paid out of pocket because I was out of warranty. A redesigned pump replaces the original so it won't happen again. Due to this extended warranty I am currently in the process of getting reimbursed from my dealer ($775).

• Like 1

I have an appointment tomorrow to get mine replaced under warranty with the new design pump.  Mexican truck.  No letter (yet).  I just told the dealer I have read about it being an issue, I think it's making noise, and I've had a hard brake pedal a few times.  

Edited by lapoolboy

I have an appointment tomorrow to get mine replaced under warranty with the new design pump.
Is that following a hard pedal issue or are they doing anyway?

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

Just now, Mozzer said:

Is that following a hard pedal issue or are they doing anyway?

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

I've had a hard pedal a few times, but it isn't predictable when.  I get tired of the "could not duplicate issue" line, so I just let them know I want the thing replaced.  It's a safety issue - I'm not real sure why GM is pushing back on this.

The letter states that, "even if your vehicle exhibits this condition, it meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards for brake performance".

So its not like the brakes are going to just fail and you can't stop. The hydraulic brake system remains functional. Its only a firmer pedal "feel".

It goes on to explain that you can bring it in for service if you believe your truck exhibits this behavior.

26 minutes ago, aseibel said:

The letter states that, "even if your vehicle exhibits this condition, it meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards for brake performance".

So its not like the brakes are going to just fail and you can't stop. The hydraulic brake system remains functional. Its only a firmer pedal "feel".

It goes on to explain that you can bring it in for service if you believe your truck exhibits this behavior

That firmer pedal feel is going to catch someone off-guard and they are going to get in an accident.  You get used to a certain pedal "feel".

6 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

That firmer pedal feel is going to catch someone off-guard and they are going to get in an accident.  You get used to a certain pedal "feel".

Agreed, and maybe there are varying degrees of firmness. When mine did it twice I had to nearly stand on the pedal to get to it stop both times, I'm 6'4" 215lbs. My wife occasionally drives the truck and with her not used to driving it on top of the amount of pressure you had to put on the pedal (she's 75 pounds lighter than me) she may not have stopped it. I didn't take any chances and had it replaced immediately - that was 8 months/20k miles ago and hasn't happened again with the redesign.

32 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Apparently this issue has not caused anyone to rear-end another vehicle, or cause anyone to die in a crash yet. If it did, this would be a full recall.

Just now, aseibel said:

Apparently this issue has not caused anyone to rear-end another vehicle, or cause anyone to die in a crash yet. If it did, this would be a full recall.

Give it time.  I, for one, am not waiting on a recall, I'm being proactive and getting it fixed under warranty now because the safety of my family is priority.  

• Like 1

Just now, lapoolboy said:

I'm being proactive and getting it fixed under warranty now

Let us know how it goes. If they don't question you at all, maybe I'll have it done the next time I'm at the dealer. I'm guessing there will be a bunch of people who show up all at once asking for this now that its public.

13 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Did a very quick google search and found this lawsuit where the driver claims the brake issue caused him to crash into another vehicle...

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/gm-brake-pedals-hard.shtml