New to me 2017 Sierra Denali

I posted this in the wrong forum yesterday:

Hi everyone, new to the forum here.  My 2005 LR3 took a crap this weekend, after 13 years of service with me I was upset to see her go, but DAMN!  This Sierra Denali is an outstanding truck!

The truck is a 17 Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 6.2 and 90k on the clock.  High miles but the truck is in excellent condition and rides great!   I am simply amazed with the power, comfort and tech that has been packed into these trucks.

So with all those miles, is there anything I should be looking for, known common issues? Any maintenance advice?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1824.jpeg

Congratulations, beautiful truck. Please make sure to change all your fluids with your favorite lubricant manufacturer, I’m using Amsoil Signature Series. High quality lubricants of oil and air filters make a world of difference in your vehicles longevity. I’m assuming you’ve got a 4x4 with the 6.2 and 323 rear end?

Sent from above

You assumed correctly.  Someone else suggested I do that also,  it looks like I will be changing the fluids for the  tranny (it’s never been done), front and rear diffs and the T-case, It was also suggested to do the plugs.  

I’m in North Texas, we had a heavy rain early Thursday morning, when I got in the truck that morning there was water dripping on my left foot, the carpet wasn’t soaking wet, but wet.  It was coming down the dash just under the driver side window defogger vent and apperntly dripping on the park brake pedal then onto the floor.  Is this common leak point?

Those magentic shocks are pricy to replace out of warranty. Also, the 6.2 will run on low octane but it will also feel like it when you drive so I'd stick with the premium fuel. You'll also be rewarded with the better mileage to help offset the added cost. 

• Like 1

Shark fin antenna, sunroof, third brake light, and passenger side firewall are the most common leak locations on these trucks. If your going to replace your antenna yourself I’d recommend adding a bead of silicone. There’s several threads on here with pics to show you how. Also there is a “updated” shark fin available.

If you have the rear slider window do yourself a favor and pull the defrost fuse out. Some owners have had them shatter when using the defrost or when it’s auto on using remote start.

A small percentage of these trucks have what is referred to as Chevy shake. It’s basically driveline vibrations. If you haven’t noticed it yet you don’t got it.

Some of the 8 speed trannys have a “shutter” problem. GM has a new fluid that supposedly helps with this. They were doing multiple flushes before the new fluid on some trucks to try and fix it. I’d look into using the new fluid & doing a flush since your changing it anyway.

Check with your local stealership and make sure there is no open recalls. These trucks different years have had several. My 015 has had 3 all kinds important stuff seatbelt, electric steering, ect. Also there is a bulletin out for the brakes that the vacuum pump will lose vacuum at low speed and the pedal gets hard to press ie. pulling into a parking spot, drive thru lane, ect. They added additional warranty to the pump but your truck is out of the mileage limit. There is a “new” design replacement pump. If you experience this don’t wait to replace the pump/associated parts as it uses the trucks oiling system for lubrication and when the pump fails it can contaminate the engine oil causing engine failure in the worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wardo5757 said:

I’m in North Texas, we had a heavy rain early Thursday morning, when I got in the truck that morning there was water dripping on my left foot, the carpet wasn’t soaking wet, but wet.  It was coming down the dash just under the driver side window defogger vent and apperntly dripping on the park brake pedal then onto the floor.  Is this common leak point?

I also have a new to me 2017, exact same truck only white.  First rain had the drivers floor mat full of water.  Turned out it was the drain tube from the sunroof had come loose and was dripping down just as you describe.

• Like 1

This truck actually shows what I am talking about in another post ( the deep scratch one ). Lots of very nice used trucks out there. This one is a beauty!

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I do appreciate all the insight and advice.  I haven't had the truck since last Wednesday, I had to get those water leaks taken care of. 

So while it's at the dealership I asked them to do an inspection and fix any issues they may find, they found 2 water leaks, one at the windshield and another at the HF antenna.  They will also be replacing all 4 Magneride shocks, he said those shock only last about 80K miles and mine were leaking oil.  I also had issues with the Apple car play locking up, they said my head unit needs updating to the latest firmware.

Just the cost of those shocks pays for the Ally warranty, wise choice for sure!  Anyway, I should have the truck back later this week, will report back then.

Thanks again!

Eddie

• Like 2

Have a small update, I have my truck back but it’s not repaired.  The truck was at the dealer for a full week, waiting most of that time for Ally to approve the repairs.  Ally had requested the selling dealership to send them a copy of the inspection they did prior to selling the policy because the truck was so recently sold and had oil leaking from the shocks, it a $4,000 repair. Ally’s contention is that those shocks should have been noticed and replaced prior to the policy being written, therefore they will not do the pay for the repair.  

The dealership I bought from has been contacted many times by Ally and twice by me, they are not providing the inspection checklist.   I would not have bought this truck without the warranty, the warranty is not covering the repair because they are considered “prior condition”, me and Ally acted in good faith, the dealership did not, I’m not sure what I’m going to do at this point. 

Edited by wardo5757

2 hours ago, wardo5757 said:

Have a small update, I have my truck back but it’s not repaired.  The truck was at the dealer for a full week, waiting most of that time for Ally to approve the repairs.  Ally had requested the selling dealership to send them a copy of the inspection they did prior to selling the policy because the truck was so recently sold and had oil leaking from the shocks, it a $4,000 repair. Ally’s contention is that those shocks should have been noticed and replaced prior to the policy being written, therefore they will not do the pay for the repair.  

The dealership I bought from has been contacted many times by Ally and twice by me, they are not providing the inspection checklist.   I would not have bought this truck without the warranty, the warranty is not covering the repair because they are considered “prior condition”, me and Ally acted in good faith, the dealership did not, I’m not sure what I’m going to do at this point. 

A dealership not acting in good faith? Say it ain't so!

Rockauto has the front magnaride shocks at $310 and the rear for $320. I am unsure if they are sold in pairs but cannot think of why they wouldn't. Either way, dealer is trying to rip someone off. So if you do have to replace the shocks out of your pocket, I would go this route and pay a separate shop to do the alignment. Nice truck by the way!