noise from roof - pop

19 Trailboss here. Started to get hot in California and I heard the "acorn dropping on roof" sound everyone here is having issue's with. I figured it had to do with the heat expanding the materials and that seems to be the issue based on the thread. As long as it's not structural I can live with it. These trucks are for beating up and having fun so I won't let a a small issue like that affect my ownership experience. Thankfully I haven't needed to take the truck in for warranty stuff....yet lol.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

On 5/7/2020 at 7:52 PM, TrailBossLT said:

Well I bit the bullet and let the dealer take a look. The spoiler was jammed up against the roof bc of a factory defect, it should have had a 1/4"-1/2" gap. They gave me a loaner and i can clearly see the difference between it and mine. They're calling GM to report it and figure out a fix. Just hope it comes back in the like new condition it was and without damage or leaks. I'll share what I learn when I get it back.

Any update on this?

Took her through her first car wash and heard the loud pop when it was drying. Had to jump out really quick to check it as soon as i was out. No dents or damage. But had me worried for sure

2020 RST Crew Cab no sunroof does the same. Basically from day one!!!!! After sitting in the sun and driving away with the AC on makes its very consistent and multiple pops too.

2019 Silverado double cab. Been having a faint popping sound in the afternoon when I leave work about 5-10mins after the ac has been running. Truck sits outside in the hot Texas sun all day. 

Pulled mine off today to install a new one that has the rear view mirror camera in it. Took some photos to see if there were any differences and the only thing I found was some rubber washers on the yellow clips. Hasn't been long enough to know if the problem is gone but I'll follow up when I've had some more time with it. 

20200720_120737.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Double cab RST, Samsies.

The worst pop was when I went through the touch-less car wash. I thought it had pushed the roof in and caused the pop lol . No damage and seems to be slowly going away. It did it enough that it didn't surprise me anymore and after a month and 4k kms I dont hear it anymore. Hopefully it stays that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my 2020 Silverado to the dealership about the popping noises and they couldn’t replicate the noise with only having it for an hour.. It was early in the morning still in the 70 degree heat, it starts to make the noise around 85degree mark so they put me down to bring it back in two weeks to keep it for a couple day and give me a loaner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 10:14 PM, Zach-91 said:

Pulled mine off today to install a new one that has the rear view mirror camera in it. Took some photos to see if there were any differences and the only thing I found was some rubber washers on the yellow clips. Hasn't been long enough to know if the problem is gone but I'll follow up when I've had some more time with it. 

20200720_120737.jpg

Could you please tell me what size tool is needed to remove or tighten spoiler bolts,  my 2020 denali with rear mirror camera pops like crazy if temp is 85 or above the hotter the more it does it, mine had the spoiler removed to fix the rear window leak, do not ever remember hearing it before that. leak is fixed so not sure i want them messing with it but i might take a look myself.

Edited by DaveHC
double post

Could you please tell me what size tool is needed to remove or tighten spoiler bolts,  my 2020 denali with rear mirror camera pops like crazy if temp is 85 or above the hotter the more it does it, mine had the spoiler removed to fix the rear window leak, do not ever remember hearing it before that. leak is fixed so not sure i want them messing with it but i might take a look myself.

1 hour ago, DaveHC said:

Pretty sure it was just regular 10mm nuts. The nuts had silicone on them and there were rubber washers embedded on the exterior side. I've still heard the noise on mine since doing this but its not as frequent. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Dersch said:

Any update on this?

Took her through her first car wash and heard the loud pop when it was drying. Had to jump out really quick to check it as soon as i was out. No dents or damage. But had me worried for sure

It's gotten better and I'm glad I took it in but it didnt fix it. When it was hot out before it would pop over and over. The pops are now occasional...usually only a couple of times a trip. I'm in Florida so its always hot,  maybe if I lived further north itd be better, but this truck has been a pretty poor showing from GM.

• 2 weeks later...

After researching this I found it's the roof spoiler and that the newest models have rubber washers on the bolts and that is why it is no longer happening on newer 2020-2021 models. I brought my Sierra in and the dealership said it's a "Characteristic of the truck", after that response I filed a complaint with [email protected] which is the GM resolution/complaint department. They reached out to my dealership and the GM engineers who ultimately said the same thing. The rep from GM said the only way to fix this is for a recall but there are not enough corporate complaints at this time to warrant one, so I urge all of you to email and complain so we can get a recall to fix the problem!