noise from roof - pop

Mine has started doing it more, meh it's just cheap plastics, gotta be the rear spoiler. Has anyone tried moving their side mirror caps around? I swear these things are barely popped on to the mirrors. I saw one of mine was sticking out a little so I pushed it back in.

My 19 Trail boss does not at 5k miles. The 19 lt double cab loaner I have did it three times on highway today. Sounded like an acorn dropping from 30 feet up and hitting the roof towards the rear brake light area.

Perhaps the bolts that hold the third brake spoiler to the truck are torqued too tight?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 9/5/2019 at 4:08 PM, jkspinks said:

Has anyone had the dealer see if they can fix this issue?  My AT4 is at the dealer right now for the pop.

Let me know if they are able to fix it. If so, it would be awesome if they let you know what they did to resolve it. It seems nobody has an answer yet. Thanks! 

• Like 1

I was reading these posts as they would come to the top, thinking "wow, this stinks!" On the way home from church today, 19k miles on the truck, I heard the pop. quite a few times too. It seemed as if when going 35ish miles an hour and let off the gas, that I would hear it. Dang it!

On 9/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

Have someone sit in backseat and try to identify where noise is coming from

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's definitely coming from the roof/spoiler. Others have recreated the noise. Question is what exactly is the cause and how to get Chevy to figure out a solution. 

Dealer had mine last week, and thought they had identified the issue causing the pop.  They had me come in Friday after work and drive around for a bit to make sure what I was hearing was the same as what they are hearing.  It was.  Took it back Monday morning because I needed it over the weekend.  They called today to tell me they found the issue.  It is the spoiler causing the pop.  The service advisor said that the spoiler is two parts that are plastic welded together (his term).  At two spots, on mine the welds have broken  He says because of this technique to put the two parts together, they can't fix it because they don't have the equipment to do it.  They were going to try epoxy, but decided against it.  They checked the system to get a new spoiler, which will have to be painted.  When they checked, it showed none available nationally.  Then they do something else for a special order request.  Right now they are waiting to see how long it will take to get the part to replace it.  He said they should have a better idea tomorrow.

3 hours ago, jkspinks said:

Dealer had mine last week, and thought they had identified the issue causing the pop.  They had me come in Friday after work and drive around for a bit to make sure what I was hearing was the same as what they are hearing.  It was.  Took it back Monday morning because I needed it over the weekend.  They called today to tell me they found the issue.  It is the spoiler causing the pop.  The service advisor said that the spoiler is two parts that are plastic welded together (his term).  At two spots, on mine the welds have broken  He says because of this technique to put the two parts together, they can't fix it because they don't have the equipment to do it.  They were going to try epoxy, but decided against it.  They checked the system to get a new spoiler, which will have to be painted.  When they checked, it showed none available nationally.  Then they do something else for a special order request.  Right now they are waiting to see how long it will take to get the part to replace it.  He said they should have a better idea tomorrow.

Good to get confirmation on what it is, I was 99% sure it had to be the spoiler after pushing on it a little and hearing the creaking it made. The sad thing is that even after you get your new one, it will probably happen again.

Just got my CC RST no sunroof this past Monday, as of today it has 170 miles. Noticed the sound yesterday but didnt think about it too much thinking that something had dropped on the roof. Did it again about a handful of times today on the freeway with open sky, twice in 5 minutes. Glad to know that the sky isnt falling ?

Edited by 808 HI

i have the same noise on a 1 month old 2020 ccsb 2500 HD, no sunroof. it makes the noise every morning on the same turn on my way to work. from inside, it kinda sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear corner of the roof. the first time i heard it i thought something hit the roof also. i heard it from the outside of the vehicle while i was washing it too. it is coming from the rear roof spolier/high mount brake lamp area. i was washing the roof when i heard it so at least i was up kinda close to it. curious as to what it is but cant imagine it is too much to worry about.