noise from roof - pop

I have it almost daily. I’ve narrowed it down to the spoiler on the rear of the cab. Generally speaking, and I can’t back this up with a scientific explanation lol, I think it has to do with expansion. I notice it a LOT more when going from somewhat controlled climate like the garage, to warmth outside and hitting that first bump or two. For me, that is pulling out of the driveway at home, and hitting speedbumps in the garage and surrounding areas at work. Once it’s warmed up in the sun, I don’t hear it anymore. 

• Like 1

Anyone had their truck into the dealer for this yet?

I thought mine had mainly gone away, but a few hot days and its back as bad as it was originally.  The worst I get it is pulling out of my warm garage in the morning into cooler air and driving over the slightly different grades between my driveway and street.

I have had the noise a few times in my 800 miles.  Seems to happen to me in the same spot on the way home from picking up the kiddos from daycare.  I thought something dropped onto the roof at first, but as others have said it happens even when no trees are around.  Doesn't really bother me much though.  

I've had my truck for about a month (1400 miles on it). I heard a few pops coming from the rear area of the roof a few days after buying the Sierra SLT. 

I took it to the dealer, they said it could be coming from the third brake light. They had the truck for over a week, said they took off the light and replaced it. 

Popping noise still happens from time to time, even when parked. Sounds like something falling from a tree hits the roof. 

Looking forward to if anyone finds a solution to this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, Jackwards said:

Bumping this to the top.  Anyone else getting this once and a while pop from the roof?  Mine is starting to do it more than once per drive now.  Hell, even my 7 year old daughter said “what just tapped the roof”?

Hey Jackwards,  Your not alone !! My '19 Custom Trailboss does it every single morning pulling out of the garage. If I had to describe the sound it has the exact sound of a large bird dropping a duece or like a small pinecone hitting the roof. I have just over 3,100 miles on the truck now and it still does it every morning. I do hear it on other occasions such as if I park at work in certain areas of the parking lot then leave for the day I'll hear the roof pop. I'm actually starting to get use to all the noises these new truck's make. How about the fuel pump noise you hear each time you open the drivers door, like it's priming up getting ready for you to fire her up., Or the loud clock ticking noise the truck makes when sitting there idling like it's counting down for some unknown event. Lol. It's not the exhaust ticking noise you typically hear from the pipes heating up, it's a profound clicking noise of a fuel rail or timer of some sort. 

I could go on and on. The truck definitely let's you know there's allot going on when your using it. But... This is my best Silverado I've owned so far. I don't know why but this '19 Silverado pulls my big enclosed snowmobile trailer much easier than my '14 did and I had many mods done to my '14 (Full Gibson exhaust, CAI, Edge programmer) pulling a large enclosed trailer down the road is like pulling a billboard sideways. Big parachute. 

So far even with all the pops, ticks and those fuel pump prime noises each time you open the door "I still love this truck" ?

On 5/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Michael621 said:

No noise here, although I do have the sunroof.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:10 PM, Smoothie said:

No noises from mine, but I also have the sunroof.

X3. No noises, also have a sunroof. 

LT Crew Cab with no sunroof and I have the popping noise.  It's completely random when it happens, to include having been sitting in my driveway turned off for a few hours.  I just happened to be standing by the truck when it happened and it really sounded like it came from somewhere inside the third break light or the housing that runs the width of the cab.  On that particular time it was in the evening and my guess was it had something to do with the temps cooling off since it was pretty hot that day.  Inside the cab, it sounds like an acorn or pine cone hitting the top of my truck.

Took it to the dealer and got the normal "couldn't duplicate the problem" answer.  I can't say for sure, but I think I heard it for the first time around 800-1,000 miles.  Frequency doesn't seem to have changed any now that I'm at right at 2,000 miles.  It may be 3x in one trip, or I may go 3 days without hearing it.

Subbing to the post in case someone finds a solution.

Edited by ndking1126

On 5/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, DirkDiggler84 said:

Anyone getting a popping noise from their roof?  Every morning when I pull out of my garage and go over a slightly angled transition between my driveway and the street I get a popping from the roof.  I've heard it several other times when driving at low speed as well.  It sounds like the sheet metal is flexing, like if you were to slightly indent a piece of sheet metal, it slightly indents and then you push it in another spot and it pops out of that indent.  I have gotten a very similar noise from the lid on my washing machine.  I do not have a sunroof.

I'm in a loaner now, which does NOT have a sunroof, and it has the roof popping noise! My new LT Trail Boss with sunroof does not have the popping issue. Hope this helps. I'm sure over time they'll come up with a solution to take care of it via service dept. would be my guess. Sounds like a common issue.

• 5 weeks later...