noise from roof - pop

My 2019 trail boss LT has the pop and at first I thought it was just rocks coming out of the tire tread hitting the wheel well.  I sat in my truck for approximately 20 minutes yesterday with it idling and I bet it popped in the backseat roof area probably around 10 times.  It seems to be getting worse and I only have 1200 miles.  just ditched a 2015 sierra Denali that was garbage and now this.  Crazy

I agree it’s an annoyance but that’s all it is. The trucks not a piece of junk because plastic expands or contracts when hot or cold. There really wouldn’t be a Firm fix unless they did a drastic redesign, which will not happen until they completely redo the truck. If putting some butyl in between the roof and spoiler gets rid of the problem, what more do you want?

• Like 1

I hear a fairly loud popping from the roof on my 2019 Silverado Custom. It's not just an occasional pop. It's more like canvas flapping in the wind. It's worst at around 50 mph. A few minutes ago I stood on a ladder to get a good look and found out that I can reproduce the noise easily by pushing down and releasing the sheet metal right over where either the driver or passenger head would be. Both sides pop. It only takes finger pressure to do this. It has nothing to do (in my case) with the rear plastic spoiler. It's just thin, flimsy, unsupported sheet metal flapping in the wind going down the road. I have less than 3K miles on this truck.

While it is very annoying to me I'm more concerned about the long term effects of all this flexing on the paint and metal. Some time in the future I believe I can expect the paint to pop from all the flexing.

I'll be taking the truck in for service later this week anyway so I'll talk with the dealer about what, if any, options there may be to mitigate this issue.

If I don't get some help there I'm going to look around for something to mount at the leading edge of the roof to break up the air flow and see if that helps.

EDIT: No help at all from the dealer. No service bulletin = no help. Since this is not a safety issue I really doubt GM / Chevrolet will address this unless they get a lot of negative publicity.

As far as a self fix goes no luck so far. All the stick on trim I've found so far is too flexible. I looked into sun roof deflectors to break up the air flow but all the ones I've found are stick on and prone to flying off. I don't want to risk having one of those things fly off and hit someone's windshield. Still thinking about a solution.

Edited by OldGuy2019
Add info

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2019 Z71 4x4 RST quad cab. Of course in my short test drive the truck was so smooth no noise. I drove it about 100 miles and the roof started popping. I’m not a happy customer. I paid extra to have the material inside my wheel wells to make it quieter lol! What a joke. 50,000+ on my truck and it sounds like Little Rock’s or acorns are dropping on my roof all day! It even does if not moving! I can be siting in my truck in my drive way but driving it fir hours and it pops. I owned a 2015 GMC Sierra and it was a solid truck. I hope they figure this out! Plus my drive auto window is messing up 

• Like 1

My 2019 Silverado does the same popping sound in the rear cab roof area.  Especially when the sun hits the cab as I’m driving and hit small bumps or driveway ramps.  I think it’s coming from the plastic air spoiler (for the lack of a better term) mounted on the top rear of the cab.  It’s annoying especially since I don’t even have 500 miles on it yet.  I’ll wait it out until the first service visit to have it checked.  I hope it goes away before then.  

4640F977-7035-485B-88FB-7A40CEA697DA.jpeg

Edited by John Corona

With the first 700 miles, I've noticed it 5 minutes after driving out of a closed parking structure to a warm to hot en environment. Now that I'm at about 1100 miles, it probably does it once a week compared to happening a several times a day. 

My "pop" has settled down to a "tick", maybe once per trip. And no sense bringing to a dealer because he can't change the laws of physics regarding different rates of expansion for different materials. And if he does by torquing the crap out of the retainers......no more pop......just one big snap as the plastic cracks.   Actually the redesigned spoiler with LED lighting tilting the light below the sports bar was a great idea as far as I'm concerned more than justifies an occasional tick or pop.

Besides I was getting in my Traverse the other day and heard the plastic spoiler on the rear of the roof pop in the Sun. No pop posts on the Traverse website,  either don't hear it from inside the cab or none of the owners are noticing it.

22 hours ago, Thomcat said:

My "pop" has settled down to a "tick", maybe once per trip. And no sense bringing to a dealer because he can't change the laws of physics regarding different rates of expansion for different materials. And if he does by torquing the crap out of the retainers......no more pop......just one big snap as the plastic cracks.   Actually the redesigned spoiler with LED lighting tilting the light below the sports bar was a great idea as far as I'm concerned more than justifies an occasional tick or pop.

Besides I was getting in my Traverse the other day and heard the plastic spoiler on the rear of the roof pop in the Sun. No pop posts on the Traverse website,  either don't hear it from inside the cab or none of the owners are noticing it.

Wow funny you said that as I was in my wife's Traverse Saturday waiting for her to come out and I heard the same thing.

• 1 month later...

Finally figured out exactly what my noise problem was. It was NOT the roof flexing like I thought it was. Nor was it any of things others were experiencing. It wasn't even a GM/Chevy problem after all.

Back in late June I had a camper topper installed. Mid-July we went on a beach trip. The noise started on that trip and gradually got worse over the next few months until it was pretty much constant at certain speeds. The other day I was looking in the gap between the topper and the truck cab and noticed that the front rubber seal between the bed and top was coming out and actually touching the back of the cab for over a foot in width. I got my wife to sit in the back seat and we did a road test with her listening carefully for where the noise was coming from. She said it was right below the window. From the driver's seat it still sounded right over  my head. And LOUD. Go figure.

In any case, the camper topper has a removable window there so I removed it and cut away all the protruding rubber seal material. Reinstalled the window and road tested again. NO noise!

Just need to get the seal replaced now to prevent any leaks. Sure is nice to have a quiet ride again.

• 2 months later...

So I took my brand new 2020 to the car was for the first time and it has blowers on the crane that move the length of the truck when they hit the roof it popped very loudly. When I got home stood on the running boards and you can move the roof very easily almost like plastic. I’m guessing it very thin sheet metal. I guess a lot has changed since 2005. Come on GM ?

Edited by Usmc249