noise from roof - pop

Anyone getting a popping noise from their roof?  Every morning when I pull out of my garage and go over a slightly angled transition between my driveway and the street I get a popping from the roof.  I've heard it several other times when driving at low speed as well.  It sounds like the sheet metal is flexing, like if you were to slightly indent a piece of sheet metal, it slightly indents and then you push it in another spot and it pops out of that indent.  I have gotten a very similar noise from the lid on my washing machine.  I do not have a sunroof.

• Like 2

I have a similar sound, but mine sounds like a loose clip shifting when I come to a sudden stop, turn sharp etc.

I've learned long ago to not let interior noises/rattles irritate me.  If you let them, the dealer will end up tearing apart the interior, and I gaurantee it'll never be the same. Noise may be gone but you're left with ill fitting panels, and scratches everywhere.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, Bftx said:

I've learned long ago to not let interior noises/rattles irritate me.  If you let them, the dealer will end up tearing apart the interior, and I gaurantee it'll never be the same. Noise may be gone but you're left with ill fitting panels, and scratches everywhere.

Ya, I try not to go into the dealer at all unless necessary.

5 hours ago, BlackLS said:

I have only heard the popping sound while washing my truck not while driving. When I spray water on the roof I do sometimes hear a loud "popping" noise.

Maybe the same noise, but different causes.  Cold water on hot metal might be having the same effect as my driving over un-level surfaces at low speeds first thing in the morning.  As long as it doesn't get worse I'm not going to worry about it.  I know the dealer would just give me "could not recreate" or "normal operating characteristics" of the vehicle.

Mine does it but its getting less and less and not as loud anymore . I had the truck out all day today and it didn't do it so I guess its about gone. Hell when I first heard it I thought a bird dropped a bomb on my roof.

Edited by Silverado4x4

I drive about 100 miles a day.  I get one clear pop on the way to my shop, and one on the way home.  Freeway, straight driving, normal consistent speeds.  Sounds like something dropping from a tree on the left rear side of the roof.  No trees in sight.  

Anyone had had this addressed yet?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dam, I am glad I am not the only one. Mine never had made any noise and then it randomly started one day and it drives me nuts. It sounds like something landing on the roof. I know for a fact that it is coming from the rear but I can't pinpoint. I thinking it could be coming from that rear spoiler these new trucks have but you have to pull down the entire headliner just to get to the damn thing. I really want to sound deaden the roof but I absolutely hate pulling down the headliner and wanted to avoid it for as long as I could. Just really curious as to what it could be.

Edited by Ericruiz911