noise from roof - pop

I have a '19 Silverado LT that makes the exact sound as described in the thread. I had it at the dealer to install a bedliner on Friday and asked if they had heard or seen a bulletin on the noise, they checked and said no. I had them document it and will wait to see if Chevy comes out with something. 

Edited by SPM2019

Mine is definitely caused by the plastic spoiler on the roof of the cab. Popped as I was walking by, and popped again when i pressed on the corner. Eh, not too loud and doesn't bother me as long as I know what is causing it. A little silicone spray might temporarily quiet it down.

No way I'm taking it to the dealer for this nonsense. Without a definite fix solution, I'm not about to have him dismount it and reinstall it just to have it pop louder....doesn't leak water, aligned properly, attached securely, lights work and no scratches in the finish....and I want to keep it that way.

• Like 1

Have a 19 RST no sunroof and have heard the pop sounds on several occasions but not all the time. Dropped my truck off yesterday at 7am to get a few things looked at since my brakes were making noise and the brake life is down low already after 1300 miles. They fixed all that pretty quickly but told me they needed it overnight to figure out what was going on with the pop noise. It was suppose to be ready today around noon but when i called they said they were on the phone trying to talk with technical support to figure out what was causing it. I even showed them all the comments on the forum to prove that other people were having the issue. My friend with the same truck as mines says it happens to his truck also. Anyways they said they would call me tomorrow in the morning to see if anything gets figured out. Guess we will see. Hopefully they don’t cause a worse issue. I will update this post to see if they figured something out. 

• Like 1

Mine pops multiple times a trip but I just figure it's the roof expanding/contracting in the Georgia heat. It doesn't really bother me. However, one time it sounded like something slid from the front to the back. My girlfriend was in the car and thought I hit something but there wasn't any damage to the truck so I have no clue what it was. Unless I see any kind of problem coming from the pop I'm not going to have it checked out. TBH I don't want anyone mucking around with my truck other than me unless it's for required service.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So I've been watching all the posts over the weeks hoping that GM would figure something out, it didn't seem like anyone had found a solution. Fortunately, i was able to figure it out. I did a few things to fix it but i'm not entirely sure exactly which one did it. I knew it was coming from the spoiler, so i dropped the headliner down. You may be able to drop just the rear section of the headliner down, but to do it right and without the possibility of putting a kink in your headliner, and to give you more room its better to drop the whole thing down. Once i did that i removed the spoiler. There's about 10 bolts holding it on along with 2 yellow clips. I'm almost positive that it was coming from the clips themselves so i removed them entirely. The spoiler is completely secure without them so there's really no need to worry about them not being there. The second thing i did was put electrical take between the surface of the spoiler and the truck itself where all of the bolts go in. I thought the noise could have been caused by the spoiler moving and binding up against the roof of the truck. So i figured adding more padding between them would help. When putting it back together i made sure the bolts were all really tight to make sure it wasn't going to bind up. I also covered the two locations where the clips were. Its been 2 weeks since i did these steps and it hasn't made a popping noise since. It would happen 3-4 times every time i drove it. Again, i'm almost positive it was the clips causing it but i wanted to be sure. Hopefully this helps anyone wondering what its from or how exactly to fix it.

Edited by Cody2019TB
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cody2019TB said:

So I've been watching all the posts over the weeks hoping that GM would figure something out, it didn't seem like anyone had found a solution. Fortunately, i was able to figure it out. I did a few things to fix it but i'm not entirely sure exactly which one did it. I knew it was coming from the spoiler, so i dropped the headliner down. You may be able to drop just the rear section of the headliner down, but to do it right and without the possibility of putting a kink in your headliner, and to give you more room its better to drop the whole thing down. Once i did that i removed the spoiler. There's about 10 bolts holding it on along with 2 yellow clips. I'm almost positive that it was coming from the clips themselves so i removed them entirely. The spoiler is completely secure without them so there's really no need to worry about them not being there. The second thing i did was put electrical take between the surface of the spoiler and the truck itself where all of the bolts go in. I thought the noise could have been caused by the spoiler moving and binding up against the roof of the truck. So i figured adding more padding between them would help. When putting it back together i made sure the bolts were all really tight to make sure it wasn't going to bind up. I also covered the two locations where the clips were. Its been 2 weeks since i did these steps and it hasn't made a popping noise since. It would happen 3-4 times every time i drove it. Again, i'm almost positive it was the clips causing it but i wanted to be sure. Hopefully this helps anyone wondering what its from or how exactly to fix it.

Anything special about dropping the liner? Just the usual drop the visor, center overhead console, and dome lights, then pull the A, B, & C pillars? were you able to move it out of the way enough without pulling it completely out of the truck?

So glad to see this thread... I was wondering what that popping noise is. I get it almost every morning when I pull out of my garage, and sometimes in the afternoon when I leave my office. It sounds like a tree branch falling on the back of my roof. I also have a sunroof. I never really made a big deal out of it cause I figured it was the aluminum making some type of noise. I'm actually okay with the one pop sound. It doesn't bother me and I don't plan to fix it cause I may just make things worse lol.

OK Cody2019TB, I will pass this along to our service rep and other's that have a similar truck. I am sort of like hcop33 in that it does not bother me right now. But that could change and now I have a potential solution if I want this fixed before warranty expires. Thanks

Sometimes the solution can be worse than the problem.

Might be a good reason why the bolts are just loose enough so it pops, caused by the expansion differential of the metal body compared to the polymer spoiler.

Seems the basic problem is the the spoiler is not made of the same metal as the cab......thank you GM for reducing weight to save the planet.....but just like a straight laminated bimetal strip that bends in response to increase of heat.......something has got to give, and if it doesn't give it breaks.

Making the bolts tighter may stop the popping but won't change the different expansion rates of the polymer spoiler or the metal cab - could be at the expense of introducing cracks where the steel studs are mounted in the spoiler. Doesn't bother me as long as I know what it is.........based upon the future success or failure of this fix, I might rethink it in about a year.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, jd64 said:

i have the same noise on a 1 month old 2020 ccsb 2500 HD, no sunroof. it makes the noise every morning on the same turn on my way to work. from inside, it kinda sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear corner of the roof. the first time i heard it i thought something hit the roof also. i heard it from the outside of the vehicle while i was washing it too. it is coming from the rear roof spolier/high mount brake lamp area. i was washing the roof when i heard it so at least i was up kinda close to it. curious as to what it is but cant imagine it is too much to worry about.

I've heard it with my 2020 2500HD ccsb, no sunroof, too.

I have Had my Silverado 19 truck since June of this year and heard the popping noise the 1st day I drove it.  I have Had it in the shop at least 3 times for this.  It is the spoiler area, I was The first to complain at my dealer and they haven’t had anyone else complain.  They say.....  there is No way,  because I had Another 19 truck to drive while they were fixing mine and it did the exact same noise.  I also thought it sounded like an acorn hitting my roof, but after several times hearing the noise and not being close to any trees, realized it was the truck.  You can push on the spoiler and hear the same noise.  

Anyone hear of a fix for this yet?  

Anyone else think all of these 19 Silv. trucks are lemons? I have Had my truck in at least 4 times for different rattles, my front diver seat off track, the head rests in the back seat rattle,  rattle in the dash. And there is another noise coming from the back end that the dealer can’t “Find” either.  They hear it, but can’t centralize it to fix.....

And now there is a New rattle next to my ear is the driver side seat belt area.  I’m OVER this truck!!!