No more upgraded headlights across the board?

This is a topic I’ve been meaning to bring up here..

Let me first say, I am not a new generation owner (I have an 18’ LT). But it really surprises me that GM did not choose to make LED headlights and DRL’s standard across the board for all trucks. To me it’s pretty disappointing that they took a step backwards in this regard.

I was always impressed that GM decided to make HID’s and LED DRL’s standard equipment for all 16’-18’ Sierra/Silverado trims. Definitely gave them an aesthetic edge over all the other major manufacturers who made you pay for it as an upgrade and if I’m going to be honest, was definitely a selling point for me when I chose my 18’.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Let me first say, I am not a new generation owner (I have an 18’ LT). But it really surprises me that GM did not choose to make LED headlights and DRL’s standard across the board for all trucks. To me it’s pretty disappointing that they took a step backwards in this regard.

I was always impressed that GM decided to make HID’s and LED DRL’s standard equipment for all 16’-18’ Sierra/Silverado trims. Definitely gave them an aesthetic edge over all the other major manufacturers who made you pay for it as an upgrade and if I’m going to be honest, was definitely a selling point for me when I chose my 18’.

To be fair, the ONLY reason they made HID standard in 2016 is because the 14-15 headlights were TERRIBLE. They basically had no choice.

In my opinion, in 2019 EVERYTHING should be LED, but having LED headlights in LT and up is a good move. GM still has a slight edge because the F150 XLT and Ram Big Horn (price/ feature equivalents of the LT / SLE twins) are still running halogens as standard.

Besides, you wouldn’t want to compare or trade your 2018 LT for a 2019 WT/Custom/Custom TB anyway, many more trade offs apart from headlights. Stay LT and up and it’s all good!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Isn’t everything LED except custom or work truck? Maybe custom should get LED but any fleet vehicles would surely benefit from the ability to replace a $10 halogen bulb versus a $500 LED assembly.  

Thats probably why they did it- besides the obvious cost cutting stuff...

2019 1500 (new style)

Sierra - 

Lower trims -   Headlamps, LED reflector with incandescent turn signals and LED signature Daytime Running Lamps       
SLT/AT4/Denali -   Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED turn signals and LED signature Daytime Running Lamps

Silverado -

Lower trims -  Headlamps, halogen reflector with halogen Daytime Running Lamps     
LT/RST/TB/LTZ -  Headlamps, LED reflector with LED signature Daytime Running Lamps       
HC   only -  Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED signature curtain Daytime Running Lamps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

To be fair, the ONLY reason they made HID standard in 2016 is because the 14-15 headlights were TERRIBLE. They basically had no choice.

In my opinion, in 2019 EVERYTHING should be LED, but having LED headlights in LT and up is a good move. GM still has a slight edge because the F150 XLT and Ram Big Horn (price/ feature equivalents of the LT / SLE twins) are still running halogens as standard.

Besides, you wouldn’t want to compare or trade your 2018 LT for a 2019 WT/Custom/Custom TB anyway, many more trade offs apart from headlights. Stay LT and up and it’s all good!

Oh really? I knew that the 14-15 models didn’t have projectors for the most part, but I wasn’t aware that the standard halogen lamps were that bad.

I agree. It does surprise me that Ford and Ram skimp on the lights, I mean with Ford you basically have to buy the Lariat or Platinum trims to get upgraded lamps and LED drl’s. When you’re paying $40k plus for a truck, decent headlights should be standard at this day in age (and for competition’s sake).

For sure! I was seriously considering a 19’ Custom since they were in my price range before I ultimately decided on my LT and I don’t regret going with the 18’ one bit.

Edited by mistermcgoo

The worst were the 14-15 Sierra which even had a TSB and a lawsuit over the lousy headlights. And those were projectors (halogen though). The Silverado’s weren’t much better...just adequate.

I’d assume they learned their lesson and did a better job on the 19’s halogens but personally I couldn’t go back to those ugly yellow lights anyway. Seems really outdated and cheap when vehicles costing half the price are coming with LEDs now.

9 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Oh really? I knew that the 14-15 models didn’t have projectors for the most part, but I wasn’t aware that the standard halogen lamps were that bad.

I agree. It does surprise me that Ford and Ram skimp on the lights, I mean with Ford you basically have to buy the Lariat or Platinum trims to get upgraded lamps and LED drl’s. When you’re paying $40k plus for a truck, decent headlights should be standard at this day in age (and for competition’s sake).

For sure! I was seriously considering a 19’ Custom since they were in my price range before I ultimately decided on my LT and I don’t regret going with the 18’ one bit.

My 2014 Sierra SLE has the worst headlights I've ever used in any vehicle ever... with a sticker price of $43k no less. I was seriously considering dropping the coin for 2016+ leds but I balked at dishing out $1600 to fix their shitty design. Ended up with led bulbs that helped tremendously.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The worst were the 14-15 Sierra which even had a TSB and a lawsuit over the lousy headlights. And those were projectors (halogen though). The Silverado’s weren’t much better...just adequate.

I’d assume they learned their lesson and did a better job on the 19’s halogens but personally I couldn’t go back to those ugly yellow lights anyway. Seems really outdated and cheap when vehicles costing half the price are coming with LEDs now.

My thoughts exactly man. It’s borderline insulting that you can see someone driving around in a new Camry with LED’s that cost half of what a new Custom costs with lousy cheap halogens. I’m sure someone in GM’s financial department realized they could profit much more by offering LED’s in the mid/higher trims and I would assume cost cutting had something to do with it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not attempting to crap on GM. I have been and always will be a die hard Chevy supporter. I just thought I may have been being a bit too nit picky, so it’s nice to hear other people feel the same way on this particular aesthetic topic..

• Like 1

All the K2 refreshes from 16-18 had the same grill. Since the Custom and WT do not, I can see why GM decided to skimp on the LEDs or DRLs. 

As others have said here, you have to buy up pretty high with Ford to get LEDs (and even on those trims, I think Ford did a turrible job with the DRLs). 

However, it's strange that ALL the lights on these trucks are not LEDs now, since LED lighting is so cheap flexible. 

I'm disappointed that my RST's turn signals are not LED in the front. Weird. 

I had a 14 SLT and the halogen projector lights were TERRIBLE. In 15 they made HID standard on all levels because of the complaints and law suit. Then they reassigned in 16. As others said GM basically had no choice. It was a safety issue and they were stuck with that basic design for at least several more years

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Initially, I too thought it was pretty lame that Custom trucks got halogen bulbs.  But, a few owners have chimed in, and said they are not too bad. 

While I like the bright headlights in my '18 Sierra, I don't like how often oncoming drivers flash their high beams at me when I only have my low beams on. 

1 hour ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I had a 14 SLT and the halogen projector lights were TERRIBLE. In 15 they made HID standard on all levels because of the complaints and law suit. Then they reassigned in 16. As others said GM basically had no choice. It was a safety issue and they were stuck with that basic design for at least several more years

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ahh I suppose that makes a lot to sense. I was here thinking GM was being pretty generous with the HID’s on all 15-16 models..

4 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Initially, I too thought it was pretty lame that Custom trucks got halogen bulbs.  But, a few owners have chimed in, and said they are not too bad. 

While I like the bright headlights in my '18 Sierra, I don't like how often oncoming drivers flash their high beams at me when I only have my low beams on. 

Is your Sierra lifted? I noticed once I put a 2.5” on my Silverado I started getting some flashes from oncoming cars.. a quick headlight adjustment fixed that.

I think GM took a hit on their safety rating, actually, because of the new LED headlights. I guess because they are so bright for on-coming vehicles. 

After driving my 19 RST around at night, I can see it. The new headlights are so crisp and bright. I personally love them, but I don’t drive on just 2 lane roads too often. 

13 hours ago, Druder said:

My 2014 Sierra SLE has the worst headlights I've ever used in any vehicle ever... with a sticker price of $43k no less. I was seriously considering dropping the coin for 2016+ leds but I balked at dishing out $1600 to fix their shitty design. Ended up with led bulbs that helped tremendously.

Did you just start driving? Do you not remember driving sealed beam headlights? The Sierra's in 14/15 weren't that bad, it is just because so many people are used the super bright/white light of HID's/LED's that either came standard on their previous vehicle or they upgraded to that they complained they were junk when they weren't. I had two friends with those trucks, they were fine. Even better with the TSB though. 

12 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

My thoughts exactly man. It’s borderline insulting that you can see someone driving around in a new Camry with LED’s that cost half of what a new Custom costs with lousy cheap halogens. I’m sure someone in GM’s financial department realized they could profit much more by offering LED’s in the mid/higher trims and I would assume cost cutting had something to do with it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not attempting to crap on GM. I have been and always will be a die hard Chevy supporter. I just thought I may have been being a bit too nit picky, so it’s nice to hear other people feel the same way on this particular aesthetic topic..

You can't use that as a comparison or just price. It costs over twice as much to build a truck because of what it is capable of doing. All the added money in a truck goes to the chassis, axles, drivetrain, size, etc. FIne, you want LED's because a camry does and you want the price you paid for the truck? Then say hello to less capacity  or reliability, is that a fair trade off? Who ever said it is a 40k truck it should have it, um no, that is about the bottom of the barrel in terms of price, these trucks are getting close to 80k.

Plus as someone else noted what business in their right mind would want to replace a thousand dollar head light when a twenty dollar bulb would suffice? WE have to curb truck expenses in somewhere and some choices like this are needed. Prices are out of hand because of all the box checker versions passing the costs on down to the base models, it is pricing out those who actually need and use a truck (which I am guessing is a small percentage of those on here). Anything they can do to keep the prices lower bring it on, not every truck needs to have massive touch screens, leather, big motors and safety features and tech up the wazoo...

Tyler

1 hour ago, mistermcgoo said:

Is your Sierra lifted? I noticed once I put a 2.5” on my Silverado I started getting some flashes from oncoming cars.. a quick headlight adjustment fixed that.

Nope stock ride height, no relevant mods.  I get flashed a ton if I have any payload, but still get flashed with an empty truck too sometimes.