Jump to content

The Peckish Synapse


Grumpy Bear

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We don't do poly-tics here. Move the jokes to the joke thread. 

The joke thread is a good place to move political comments.  I avoid serious political debate because it is embarrassing particularly when someone has a different opinion than mine!  Individuals can become very passionate telling me how misinformed I am while I'm scratching my head wondering how s/he can be so ignorant!   Then..... I realize I'm sounding just as stupid as my opponent only with different outcomes.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's ease up on the political stuff. Y'all have gotten out of hand with some postings.

 

Look at the site rules. No body should get butt hurt having their post removed

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 10:00 PM, KARNUT said:

It wasn’t too long ago the current administration promised to eliminate all student loan debt. They realized that wouldn’t be popular. Probably not even legal. 

128 million in predatory student loans was eliminated in February. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, customboss said:

128 million in predatory student loans was eliminated in February. 

The president can get rid of Government backed loans evidently through executive order. So you’re saying those loans were predatory. Interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The president can get rid of Government backed loans evidently through executive order. So you’re saying those loans were predatory. Interesting.

Yup. Kinda like using executive order to separate  children from parents at the southern border and essentially keeping both in cages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, customboss said:

Yup. Kinda like using executive order to separate  children from parents at the southern border and essentially keeping both in cages. 

Pretty slick but I’m not gonna bite.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One side wants to pay for the new playground with a one percent increase in a restaurant tax. The other side wants to fund the playground with a cut to the snow plowing budget. Working that out is Poly-Tics. 

 

There is a eight-ton elephant in the middle of the basketball court and one side wants it moved outside. The other side says it isn't an elephant, but a flamingo flying above the floor. That is just STUPID. 

 

Stupidly is a condition that doesn't require comment. It would be useless. Stupid can't be convinced it is. But it will argue to the death it is not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

One side wants to pay for the new playground with a one percent increase in a restaurant tax. The other side wants to fund the playground with a cut to the snow plowing budget. Working that out is Poly-Tics. 

 

There is a eight-ton elephant in the middle of the basketball court and one side wants it moved outside. The other side says it isn't an elephant, but a flamingo flying above the floor. That is just STUPID. 

 

Stupidly is a condition that doesn't require comment. It would be useless. Stupid can't be convinced it is. But it will argue to the death it is not. 

If there wasn’t much snow and money left in the budget that would be the best choice. We had a reduction in property taxes this year because there was a surplus. I remember during our pipeline clearing days. If one of our customers had a surplus they would call in a panic. Please put everything you have on our pipeline we need to burn our money up. Or they will reduce our budget. It’s funny you use your first example. It reminds me when some states build a toll road . They used to say once the road is paid for we’ll get rid of the toll. Never happens. Your political beat around the bush comments are amusing for someone who doesn’t talk politics. By the way the state that reduced my property taxes is Texas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Your political beat around the bush comments are amusing for someone who doesn’t talk politics.

 

We sir, that is because I'm not commenting on the poly-tics. I comment on rationality and or the lack of it. I could have used an example of garlic in chicken breading recipes or milk in English Tea, and it would have turned out to be the same observation. 

 

People used to say, "I'll believe it when I see it". Now they see it and still don't believe it. People also say silly things like "I only believe in what I can see.", and yet believe in air, electricity, gravity, magnetism, weak nuclear force, dark matter, quarks....... :dunno: 

 

See it, don't see it, I'll believe what I chose, and I chose to be irrational. :idiot:

 

They will look at a house and ask who built it then look at a bird in flight and claim it is a product of an evolutionary process denying it's obvious INTELLENGENT design. To do that they have to abandon both reason and entropy. Higher order does not come from chaos and chance. Higher order devolves into chaos by design if not acted on by INTELLEGENCE. 

 

People are willing to die and kill for irrational thoughts and behaviors. Rational?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

If there wasn’t much snow and money left in the budget that would be the best choice. We had a reduction in property taxes this year because there was a surplus. I remember during our pipeline clearing days. If one of our customers had a surplus they would call in a panic. Please put everything you have on our pipeline we need to burn our money up. Or they will reduce our budget. It’s funny you use your first example. It reminds me when some states build a toll road . They used to say once the road is paid for we’ll get rid of the toll. Never happens. Your political beat around the bush comments are amusing for someone who doesn’t talk politics. By the way the state that reduced my property taxes is Texas. 

Your property taxes are insane so good for you getting a small cut. I left Texas for the overtaxing. For a retiree Texas was burdensome. Here in Colorado we get paid to live here. Not kidding. Low property taxes in our poor county. Annual TABOR repayments of state surplus should be $750 each taxpayer this year. $800 last year. First $25,000 of retirement is exempted from state income tax if 65 or older. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, customboss said:

Your property taxes are insane so good for you getting a small cut. I left Texas for the overtaxing. For a retiree Texas was burdensome. Here in Colorado we get paid to live here. Not kidding. Low property taxes in our poor county. Annual TABOR repayments of state surplus should be $750 each taxpayer this year. $800 last year. First $25,000 of retirement is exempted from state income tax if 65 or older. 

Depends on the house value. I bought my house 24 years ago in a good area. Our neighborhood is an acreage community without an HOA. I made improvements and built another house on the back of my property 15 years ago. My property is worth 8 times what I paid. My assessment for taxes is much less. It would be that way for any long term owner. My taxes dropped 400$ this year. They weren’t high to begin with. I bought my daughter a nice 2 story house 5 years ago a little farther out in the country. Her taxes and payments including insurance are 1200$ per month. She’s surrounded by the national Forest. Couldn’t be nicer. Painting Texas as a high tax area depends on where you live and couldn’t be farther from the truth. There’s a home for any budget. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Depends on the house value. I bought my house 24 years ago in a good area. Our neighborhood is an acreage community without an HOA. I made improvements and built another house on the back of my property 15 years ago. My property is worth 8 times what I paid. My assessment for taxes is much less. It would be that way for any long term owner. My taxes dropped 400$ this year. They weren’t high to begin with. I bought my daughter a nice 2 story house 5 years ago a little farther out in the country. Her taxes and payments including insurance are 1200$ per month. She’s surrounded by the national Forest. Couldn’t be nicer. Painting Texas as a high tax area depends on where you live and couldn’t be farther from the truth. There’s a home for any budget. 

Good for you Stan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

401K's

 

Fifty years ago, when I started mine in my 20's they seemed to be such a good way to save for retirement. Especially when one considers this was about the time company Pension plans were given the green light to be disassembled. And perhaps for a while they were. Deferred tax accounts allow more money to work longer. There is logic to that. As long as you have the ability to invest when and as often as you see fit. There is also the appeal of a company match. Dollar for dollar to some fixed percent. And that was the largest draw for me. The match. 

 

Fast forward 50 years and those rules changed. You no longer have 'forever' to cash it in. There is now a 'Required Minimum Distribution" that has you cashing out pretty quickly. The fixed the trade rules and limit your flexibility. But as inconvenient as that all is the biggest Gorilla in the room is TAXES. Deferred is good unless the tax you pay 50 years later is multiples higher of the tax you would have paid when the money was made. YEA.... :mad: 

 

IF I was twenty again, I'd allot an amount equal to the company match. 100% return trumps nearly any tax. After that it would have been a self-directed ROTH IRA for whatever balance would have made the difference taxed PAYGO.

 

I was always a cautious investor and did not suffer as much as many did over the multiple 'Bubbles" over the last five decades. As it turns out this safe approach netted a higher return than the market even dollar cost averaging. But that is not the brag it would seem. Could have done just as well buying government bonds and rolling them. And as that turns out was a fraction of the REAL inflation suffered over those same five decades. 

 

Real inflation isn't the cost going up. It's that PLUS wage raises that lag than number year over year for decades compressing your buying power to next to nothing. PLUS insurance taking up a larger portion of what you have left. PLUS Rx deductibles getting out of hand PLUS buy school supplies the system used to provide for your tax contributions. PLUS real-estate taxes that reach levels that are more than the PITI of the original note. Dad's is 300% of his VA note. PLUS college tuition that cost more than the average CEO's base pay. A YEAR. :shakehead: I got six kids. :crackup:

 

I've been around since "I LIKE IKE" and a few months after Stalin died. Almost equal split of parties and I've NEVER seen the next administration be better than the last one. Poly-Tics is just the noised used to cook the frogs slow enough they don't notice.  

 

How to Slow Boil a Frog

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I've been around since "I LIKE IKE" and a few months after Stalin died. Almost equal split of parties and I've NEVER seen the next administration be better than the last one. Poly-Tics is just the noised used to cook the frogs slow enough they don't notice. 

AGREED.  Those of us that had ANY pension paid by our employer and it remained to retirement are head over heals better off than the generations of current < 50 YO workers with just 401K or 403B contributory accounts.  THEY DON'T MAKE ENOUGH to retire, they can't. They can't even live on their pay.  However they keep voting for political parties who stole the pensions away from them because of grievance politics and they are the frog that is being boiled to death all while they are lied to about things that chap them.  

 

I will take exception with this comment in that we have never had an administration that tried to dissassemble the constitution and rule of law before 2016.

 

I don't care what party is against that I will vote for them because once we lose the rule of law as imperfect as it is we are no better than any dictatorship.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.