2018 Silverado Paint

I have a 2018 Silverado CC Z71 with the ocean blue metallic paint which I paid extra for when I bought the truck. Currently the paint is chipping off( looks like rock chips) all over the truck. My front bumper looks like someone hit it with rock salt. After 18k miles the paint shouldn’t look like this. I feel as if it should hold up better. Has anyone made a claim with gm to try and get this remedied. I tried the dealer but they directed me to gm and said there is nothing they can do about it. I’m just wondering if anyone has the same issue. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has been lucky with making a claim with GM. But you never know. This has been a known issue since 2014 when I got my truck. There are several threads about the same exact issue as you mentioned around here.

When I first got my truck,. I paid the money and had the front bumper / lights and first foot of the hood 3m covered. Best thing I ever did as I never had a chip in the front of the truck. Can't say for the rest of the truck.

The paint is super soft and thin and it doesn't make it easy to maintain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Cajun red 18’ has it as well. As stated above this paint is very soft and I have chips all over the truck.  I understand the front of our trucks will get chips but I agree it is excessive. I have 13k and I have so many chips it looks like I have 100k+

Invisiblemask.com

After you get it fixed they make precut 3m Scotchgard pro paint protection film. I'm in the process of body color matching my front end and I'm waiting to get all the pieces finished and the film out on before I install everything. I had my bumper powder coated but every bit of protection from rocks chips is needed. Soft paint on hard metal leads to chips.

• 1 month later...

The paint on my 2018 Silverado Redline is terrible.

I began to complain at my dealer when the truck was 3.5 months old with 7500 miles. The chipping just got worse and worse on a weekly basis. I continued to complain EVERY 3 months since.

I thought all was going to be good as the dealer (service writer) thought that it was not normal and took photos to sent to gm/chevy. Needless to say, they deny any responsibility and blame me for driving the truck in New England during winter and driving on highway. I wish the salesman disclosed that silverados are not recommended for such driving.

Now, 19 months later, the truck paint looks far worse than my daughter's 1999 Subaru.

Not only are there 1000's of paint chips on EVERY body panel, it is very apparent that the paint is breaking down under sunlight / UV. Take a look at the uploaded photo. The pillar is a deep black, The rear drivers side door to the right looks like a poor tribute to Star Wars. The paint is faded and you can see the "micro" chips that are deep in the paint.

I can assure you, the truck did not look like this when I bought it.

A simple google search reveals that this is a widespread problem. There was a magazine article written in 2015 that is still getting comments to this day:

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/how-paint-problems-are-infuriating-2015-chevy-silverado-owners

Search youtube for "silverado paint chips" - Besides others, I have a number of videos showing the deterioration of my paint.

GM refuses to take responsibility for this obvious defect. They continue to say "outside influence". Well gm, it is a bit difficult for me to control the sun! I did not buy a garage ornament.

Since gm/chevy refuse to take responsibility, I have added some graphics

20190719_124519.jpg

20190718_160500a.jpg

Edited by mpj220

Bought an LT with chrome bumpers partly to avoid this. My 2018 graphite metallic paint is chipping behind the tires so I touched it up and installed mud flaps. I too have a fading/opaque clear coat and dealer-installed holograms. I plan on visiting a local detailer to resolve the latter issues. 

Yep my 2018 is the same way. The paint job is not the greatest. I didn’t see it when I bought it but throughout the entire car are dust particles in the paint. Not many but they are there. Every panel including roof. I never had a car I bought new that had them in the paint. So I went back to the dealer lot and looked really closely and saw many other trucks with the same issue. As far as the rock chips, I haven’t experienced that yet, but I can tell gm is not alone with the chipping issue. There are other manufacturers with the same problem and pealing paint. I believe it to be epa standards. The paint just cant be made like it was years ago and be durable. I have never leased a car before but looking at my 2018, I think that may be the new norm after this one. Keep it 3 years and give it back. I know financially it’s probably the worst thing you can do, but at least we won’t have to deal with these headaches as much. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 GMC CC is almost 2 yrs old with 23,000 miles and the paint has only 2 tiny paint chips on the leading edge of the hood.  Its slate metallic, have pained bumpers.  I have learned over many years of driving,  following to close to other vehicles is the prime cause of paint damage, that and oversize aggressive tread tire (retain lots of stone etc).  I recently  drove 250 miles (rt) towing an enclosed trailer (RZR S 900) so I stayed 60 mpg max and I was constantly being tailgated even when there was little to no chances of passing (2-lane blacktop).  Everybody tailgates nowadays, 60 mph and 2 cars lengths behind.  The most annoying one was a newer Silverado HD diesel. When he finally got a to pass he turned at a junction 1 mile ahead and had to wait for traffic to clear while just motored pass him in the right relief lane

Edited by elcamino

Their paint has been crap since 2010. Now I purchase the Symtech paint protection package when I buy a new one. It's a couple grand but it covers rips, tears or even cigarette burns in the interior and frame wax/paint coverage. My 2010 never left pavement and had to get the box re-sprayed. It was 6 months after my Symtech coverage expired and they covered it anyway. Sold the truck right after because I knew the cab paint was on borrowed time. The bumper chips the easiest, but who wants to spend $1,000 3Ming the front of the truck? My 1998 K1500 did not chip or peal like that but we had oil based paints then, this new garbage is water based and only about 0.25mm thick. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. Auto quality has dropped off a cliff in the past 10 years. They only want them to be decent until warranty is up then they fall apart so you always have a vehicle payment. Either trade them every few years, or spend the same amount maintain an old truck, they have us by the balls which ever side of the coin. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1