Real world city MPG?

2019 4WD LT Z71.  Stock 18" wheels and tires.  5.3L 8 speed.  

So most of my driving is short distances in the city.  Speed limit is mostly 35mph.  I'll go 5 over or so.  I spend a lot of time waiting at lights for the light to turn green.

I'm getting a whopping 12mpg.  Does that sound right?  What are you getting?

I have gotten it up to 25mpg on the highway.  

Please don't blast me for asking an MPG question lol.  First time truck owner and even if this thing got 5mpg I'm not going back to a car lol.

20190609_144900.jpg

Edited by Philipgonzales3

Remember, this is a three-ton vehicle and takes an insane amount of energy to get it up to 35 mph.

It's like you pushing a car. If it's already in motion, it's very easy to keep it moving.

That's why I try to avoid hard acceleration whenever I can.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

So most of my driving is short distances in the city.  Speed limit is mostly 35mph.  I spend a lot of time waiting at lights for the light to turn green.

I'm getting a whopping 12mpg.  Does that sound right?  What are you getting?

That's not unheard of. stoplights are about the worst thing for fuel economy. 

My worst tanks ever are during snow plow season, when I may only get 10-11 mpg for a tank. That is nothing but stopping and starting + more than usual idling when I get out to shovel.

If you are concerned about your fuel usage, try to practice coasting up to lights so that you don't have to brake to slow down, but instead can roll through the intersection.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aseibel said:

That's not unheard of. stoplights are about the worst thing for fuel economy. 

My worst tanks ever are during snow plow season, when I may only get 10-11 mpg for a tank. That is nothing but stopping and starting + more than usual idling when I get out to shovel.

If you are concerned about your fuel usage, try to practice coasting up to lights so that you don't have to brake to slow down, but instead can roll through the intersection.

I got 10mpg when the highway was closed one day.  Had to drive about 6 miles during rush hour in stop and go traffic.  Seems like the stoplights around me take like 2 or 3 minutes to switch.  Haven't timed them but does take a while sometimes.  Not really too concerned, was just curious.  I guess the EPA doesn't stop and go as much as I do.  

Edited by Philipgonzales3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, aseibel said:

.... coasting up to lights so that you don't have to brake to slow down, but instead can roll through the intersection.

Absolutely agree here, it really helps. The brake pedal is like kryptonite to me, I hit only if I absolutely have to. I coast to stop lights all the time. If there's somebody at the intersection, I try to pick the empty lane and try not to brake until the last minute.

41 minutes ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Ouch, now with that premium fuel I would be concerned lol.  

Its not too bad. I usually avg 16-18 for a tank. Most of my driving is hwy. If i drive like an old lady i can get 21 but thats not my norm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

I'm just jealous because I couldn't afford the 6.2L lol.

Lol. Truth!  I am a car nut. Have owned about 40 vehicles. In the last 8 years i have owned 5 6.2 trucks i think. Its an addiction. Went back to a 5.3 once and it served me well. With the option i will always pick bigger. 

• Like 2

I honestly like the 5.3 engine note better. I think GM might have made it calmer because its in the high country (truck for older gentleman usually) but the power on the 6.2 kicks a$$ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moend said:

I honestly like the 5.3 engine note better. I think GM might have made it calmer because its in the high country (truck for older gentleman usually) but the power on the 6.2 kicks a$$ 

Yeah I'm still browsing all the trucks to justify my choice or if I should show up to the dealer demanding they get me into a better model lol.  Only one I would go for that's in stock at my local dealer is a trail boss and like 9K more.  Not really worth it to me.  I glanced at the high country and it didn't really do anything for me.  I'm only 29 so I don't think I'm the target demographic for that truck lol. 

I'm sure the right exhaust and that 6.2 would sound angry!  

Anyway I'm loving my truck.  Don't think I would trade it for a new model now if I could.  Got everything I wanted at a price I wanted.  So nothing to complain about here lol.  

4 minutes ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Yeah I'm still browsing all the trucks to justify my choice or if I should show up to the dealer demanding they get me into a better model lol.  Only one I would go for that's in stock at my local dealer is a trail boss and like 9K more.  Not really worth it to me.  I glanced at the high country and it didn't really do anything for me.  I'm only 29 so I don't think I'm the target demographic for that truck lol. 

I'm sure the right exhaust and that 6.2 would sound angry!  

Anyway I'm loving my truck.  Don't think I would trade it for a new model now if I could.  Got everything I wanted at a price I wanted.  So nothing to complain about here lol.  

Yeah same here. 9k for a lift kit and some mods. I think you can get a lift and lots of mods for 9k. And I have to agree with you. HC is not targeting the younger guys. The one that I some what regret not getting is the RST. But they were about 3k more here and not a single option aside of the exterior look I wanted

• Like 1