Real world city MPG?

• 8 months later...

I have a Silverado crew cab with 4.3v6. 

I have noticed that the computer and the fuel mileage at the pump are alway out 0.5/1 mpg. (I’m getting better mileage than the computer is saying.) 

Just did a 300mile trip computer said 20.6 and at the pump I calculated 22.1. (Bigger discrepancy than normal)

Has anyone else had this issue?  Not really an issue, but I’m OCD about mpg’s. 

Also, I’m having issues with the infotainment screen freezing up. Anyone else?

• 4 weeks later...

I get about 16mpg (DIC 50 mile avg) in town with my 33" BFGs on a 6.2 max tow with 2" lift.  Sometimes with lots of really short in and out trips it goes down to 15.   That is about the same as when I had the stock bridgestone 2ply tires that came on it.  For a little while I had 305/55/20 Ridge Grapplers on it.  That dropped my in town MPG down to around 14 avg.  Also killed mpg on the highway.  Thats weird because its the same diameter and lighter than the BFGs.  They were quieter and rode better too.  Must be the extra inch of width that really effected it.  Not sure.

Anyone who is saying they get 20+ MPG in these is FOS. I get 16-17 on a good day around town and that is without a lead foot in the 5.3. You can probably get somewhere in the ballpark of 19-20 on the highway if you keep it at 65. 

You don't buy these vehicles for their gas mileage. Are they better than most other half tons? Sure. But you should take your truck back to the dealership and have them swap out your broken Fuel Economy info screen if you think you are getting 20+ MPG on the reg. 

8 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Anyone who is saying they get 20+ MPG in these is FOS. I get 16-17 on a good day around town and that is without a lead foot in the 5.3. You can probably get somewhere in the ballpark of 19-20 on the highway if you keep it at 65. 

You don't buy these vehicles for their gas mileage. Are they better than most other half tons? Sure. But you should take your truck back to the dealership and have them swap out your broken Fuel Economy info screen if you think you are getting 20+ MPG on the reg. 

I don't do display numbers. I hand calculate over tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of gallons. My math is pretty good and I'm not full of crap. Worst full tank I ever ran was over 22 mpg. Now 112, 000 miles with a lifetime average over 27 mpg. 

:lurk:

PeppersMPGHistory.thumb.png.98fdabc30012e1c88ec5be170fee7785.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Wow.  That is quite the response.  I posted my pictures to have fun.  I didn't realize somebody would be soo offended by them.  Calm down, superhighsierra!  Yes, they are highway miles.  No, there is nothing wrong with my fuel economy screen.  Calculated I typically get about .1 to .5 MPG higher than the screen.  I have a unique drive that is about 50 miles down hill, (no, not both ways)thus the exaggerated 25 and 50 mile "bests" reading.  But, I have continuously got over 20 MPG on my mountain commute when I drive the truck.  There are multiple people with well over 20 MPG on the highway.  I track my miles through fuelly as well.  If I'm not pulling a trailer, I'm close to, if not over 20 MPG.  True, not a lot of city, but some.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I don't do display numbers. I hand calculate over tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of gallons. My math is pretty good and I'm not full of crap. Worst full tank I ever ran was over 22 mpg. Now 112, 000 miles with a lifetime average over 27 mpg. 

:lurk:

PeppersMPGHistory.thumb.png.98fdabc30012e1c88ec5be170fee7785.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Ratchetarms said:

Wow.  That is quite the response.  I posted my pictures to have fun.  I didn't realize somebody would be soo offended by them.  Calm down, superhighsierra!  Yes, they are highway miles.  No, there is nothing wrong with my fuel economy screen.  Calculated I typically get about .1 to .5 MPG higher than the screen.  I have a unique drive that is about 50 miles down hill, (no, not both ways)thus the exaggerated 25 and 50 mile "bests" reading.  But, I have continuously got over 20 MPG on my mountain commute when I drive the truck.  There are multiple people with well over 20 MPG on the highway.  I track my miles through fuelly as well.  If I'm not pulling a trailer, I'm close to, if not over 20 MPG.  True, not a lot of city, but some.  

It ain't that serious my man. 

Sure you could get 30 mpg if you are driving straight down-hill in neutral just break-checking it along the way. Hell you could probably get 40-50 mpg doing that. However people on here contemplating getting one of these trucks and coming on here and reading that they get 22-23 city mpg like buddy up top mentioned does a disservice to everyone. 

I digress...

spacer.png

Edited by superhighsierra

Performance package and premium fuel I get about 16 city and 20 hwy but it took few miles to start getting that. Towing a trailer is about 12 mpg but I love my AT4 GMC 6.2

2020 gmc at4.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2019 L84 5.3 in a High Country.  I did a 30 mile test on a 90 degree day.  The road was mostly Illinois flatland.  I got 25.4 MPG with the cruise set to 60 MPH.  The 25 mile Average trip gauge, the trip MPG and my ODBLink MX+ all matched within about .1 MPG at about 27 miles into the trip. 

I have been working on a way to estimate how many cylinders the motor is running on and in what situation.  Data is collected on the ODBLink and plotted using MegaLogViewer HD.  The software is designed to look at engine data.

As a side note, my 2019 Colorado ZR2 got right at the same numbers on this same test route.  The ZR2 was very wind speed sensitive.

Andy

1490102269_L82fuelmapping2.thumb.JPG.ff7271b053ad9ce457203fb7141fd672.JPGat truck was very sensitive to winds on mileage.

1543728237_L82fuelmapping.thumb.JPG.433c7ee4f9da4dbd83369f301137f2c5.JPG

Andy