AT4 Radio/Climate Knobs. WTF?

I too think the aluminum look looks cheap on my AT4 and prefer the look of the rubberized ones the Silverados have. I pulled out the left side panel which has the headlight and transfer case controls and got the part numbers off to check prices and found one for $38 and the other for $31 online. I have not pulled the center stack yet to get the numbers off of the radio and climate switch so I don't know the costs of those but then again I have no way to cross reference the numbers with the corresponding ones used on the Silverado. Give the prices of the others I can't the center stack controls costing more that a total of $200 so I'm guessing for $200 - $300 you could swap them out if you just had the cross reference info.

• 1 year later...

I agree. I’m searching for some black control knobs for my 2020 AT4.  
The only other complaint I have about the 2020 AT4  so far is that the backs of the driver and passenger seats seem vulnerable to puncture.  I have three kids in forward facing car seats and they kick the backs of the seats all the time. There doesn’t seem to be much padding in the back of the seat and you can feel the electrical wiring components through the thin layer of material.  I’m worried that slight pressure in the wrong spot will puncture the material on the back of the seat. 

Edited by CM__76er

GM still hasn’t fully figured how to make a nice interior. The new GM SUVs are a step in right direction but overall they are still trying to figure out the interior game. This is coming from a guy who owns a 19 Sierra Denali. I know interior is not GM strong suit but somehow I still find myself in a GM truck :) ( my 5th GM truck ) 

it is what it is 

Edited by f8l vnm

On 7/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, f8l vnm said:

GM still hasn’t fully figured how to make a nice interior. The new GM SUVs are a step in right direction but overall they are still trying to figure out the interior game. This is coming from a guy who owns a 19 Sierra Denali. I know interior is not GM strong suit but somehow I still find myself in a GM truck :) ( my 5th GM truck ) 

it is what it is 

Before buying my 2020 AT4 I owned a 2003 GMC Sierra for nearly 17 years.  I like my GMC trucks and these are minor complaints.  To go along with those other minor complaints about the control knobs and the apparent weakness of the backs of the seats would be that it will take some getting used to having the majority of the sound from the speaker system coming from up front instead of the majority of the sound from the speaker system coming from the back.  I've tried to tweak that with the fade and speaker controls, but there's no getting around the fact that the bigger speakers are up front. . . again, a minor complaint since it all still sounds great.

For all of you'll bitchin about GM interiors, have you ever taken the time to step back and think, that maybe just maybe that GMC decided to go with function over form? Now I'm not interior design expert, but the silver/chrome knobs are accent pieces similar to the silver/chrome bezels around the A/C vents, around the cupholders, and along the console. If it was all black like many of you seem to desire, that would look extra cheap and like $hit IMO.

For those of you touting the Ram sales numbers I think it is important to look at context. I think it is fair to say that the demographics of those who are buying full-size pickups might be a little different than the luxury sedan/SUV market. The truth is, and nobody wants to acknowledge that the premium pickup market might be a little more blue collar and lower socio-economic individuals. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but at the same time is important to note. Which brings me to this, it is very easy to sit in a Ram Longhorn or a limited and see the elaborate stitching and badging, the stylized gauge cluster, the big 12" infotainment screen, and the sliding drawer console and the carbon wrapped steering wheel or whatever that is, and then go sit in a Denali or SLT and not understand why the price tag is 10k more? The GMC is a much more utilitarian vehicle where the quality of materials was more important than the stylization. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want a cheap, overbuilt, vehicle with all the bells and whistles, you have the option of buying a Ram. And the fact is, a majority of people will look at all of those bells and whistles and tell you the Ram is nicer. Why? Because most people are dumb. However, GMC went the other direction and continued to refine their utilitarian interior with better materials, a better infotainment center and a slightly updated design. Those looking for an overhaul are missing the boat.

For those saying their 2014 or their K2 had a nicer interior that's funny, because the T1's are just nicer more refined versions of those with infotainment systems that don't have a 2 minute delay every time you press a button and actually look like they were made in the 21st century. The masses are always going to be blinded by shiny objects because at the end of the day people are dumb. Rams are cheap, ugly on the outside, and will depreciate quicker than a cheap boat. It reminds me of the Toyota crowd who always bitched about how the interiors weren't more updated. Go buy a POS Ram if that is what you want IMO. 

GMC = best looking exterior by a mile and utilitarian and refined interior. Best half ton on the market by a mile.

spacer.png

spacer.png

VS.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most people don't have taste. Could GMC's interior be better? Of course, but whose couldn't. 3 years ago everyone wanted a tablet infotainment center and now people realize how goofy they look. The 2019/2020 GMC loaded SLT's, AT4's, and Denali's will have the best resale value of any half ton from the past 5 years or for the next five years respectively. Book it.

Edited by superhighsierra
  • Like 1

I never even noticed my chrome knobs, now they can't be unseen. 

With that said, I really like the interior of the 2020's, I really LOVE the exterior. It looks like a work truck. They found a way to update it but still make it look like it belongs on a job site. 

GM will never be good at flashy interiors. Compared to the competition, they well, just suck.  I'm ok with it. The wife's 2019 XT5 interior isn't all that and a bag of chips either. For what you might expect from a Caddy, anyway.

I'm not much of an interior guy. Seat belt? Check. Steering wheel and brake pedal? Check. Gas pedal and gages? Check. HVAC with hot and cold ventilation? I'm good. I do have to say that for those hopping in and out of trucks every couple of years, you're likely not going to notice much of a change or improvement. But if you're like me, you keep your truck for SEVERAL years before upgrading. I thought the 2010 crew was a nice little jump up from the 2006 extended cab. I needed more cab room. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with the 06. But when I got out of the 2010 and got into the 2020...night and day. Amazing difference in the interior. Still lots of plastic though. 

But GM will continue to suck at interiors as long as people put up with it. Blast them at every turn on how bad you hate the interiors, and be specific as to why it sucks. I personally don't give two craps about the chrome knobs, or if they were chrome or not. But if enough people are specific as to what needs fixing, they may...just may...one day listen for a change and do something about it. 

I'm still learning and getting used to all the gizmos on this beast. The air vented seats are a huge plus and very welcome addition.

The only option I didn't get was the option not to make payments. ?

• 3 years later...

Anyway... Has anyone been able to remove the chrome knobs from the climate control? Not that I don't like them, but I spilled soda on them and now they're stuck. I want to pull them off to clean everything up and get them to work again.