Paint/wax/polish

I’ve got a black 2018 and I’ve noticed that the paint seems to have a very thin clearcoat or something. It seems like if there’s a spot on it and I use a soft cloth to rub it off, it leaves tiny scratches.

Anyway, having said that, I’ve somehow gotten some water spots in some areas that I can’t seem to remove. I’m not really looking to do a professional wax job at the moment, but does anyone have a recommendation for some type of polish or wax that is fairly easy to apply that I can use to remove the spots (and maybe even the tiny aforementioned scratches as well)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black is a tough color - shows everything.

First make certain you are using very good micro fiber detailing towels.  I use these among others:

THE RAG COMPANY (3-Pack 16 in. x 24 in. Eagle EDGELESS 500 Professional Korean 70/30 Super Plush 500gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels (16x24, Ice Grey)

I use Mothers products but there are several manufacturers out there with products that can help with scratches in Black paint.

Also most of the sites below offer how to videos on correcting paint issues:

http://www.mothers.com/index.html

https://www.theragcompany.com/

https://www.detailing.com/store/

Just do a search.  One suggestion might be to have your vehicle professionally detailed then go from there.

• Like 1

Maybe have the dealer body shop look at it and give you their opinion.

You don't need a waiting period on today's paints like years ago to apply wax/polish, etc.

Even soft microfiber towels will leave very fine scratches if you run them across your paint dry. Best practice is to moisten them with water when drying or if touching up apply spray detailer to the surface before wiping. 

A good wax can stay on your truck for months and help to lessen the appearance of those fine scratches. Just need to remember that wax is like cover up. It can help to lessen the appearance of imperfections but won’t renove them. 

Those tiny scratches are all tiny valleys in your clear coat. Wax acts like a filler for those so that when light reflects off the surface it reflects clearly. 

I personally wouldnt take a new truck to a detailed for compound work, especially if you think the clear coat is thin. But a good and honest detailer will measure the depth of your clear coat and let you know if it’s even safe to compound at all.

I just took my 2016 Sierra to a professional detailer and he said the black GMC paint is very soft and doesn't know why they use it. That being said I've had the truck for a little longer than a month so I wanted a paint correction, he removed the scratches, swirls and water spots. Then sealed it with a synthetic. He offers ceramic that is good for 3 years but it is not recommended to use a normal car wash, so I went with synthetic since they brine the roads in the winter and use a carwash with an undercarriage cleaning ability. So if you are having questions about your paint it doesn't hurt to see a pro and see what they recommend. I didn't feel confident buffing a black truck, but now I can seal it.

20190629_132212.jpg

Agree with everyone here, black is notoriously tough to maintain. I polish mine once per year with Meguiars M205 and a DA buffer. I’d recommend bringing yours to a detailer, however half the battle is proper washing techniques to prevent swirls and scratches. Use only good quality microfiber towels, never use a drive through car wash (unless it’s touchless), hand wash with double bucket method, etc. Unfortunately, water spots will always accumulate over time.

You may also be able to use something like Meguiars Scratch-X and some elbow grease with okay results. Likely would be a lot of work.

fa98b928a7e81647cc549c31c5de62ce.jpg5e3059d3c158306f7bb9662cfb8432a4.jpge46cd270f0ca8a441ff0e351f4c8034e.jpg

15 hours ago, doropallo said:

I just took my 2016 Sierra to a professional detailer and he said the black GMC paint is very soft and doesn't know why they use it. That being said I've had the truck for a little longer than a month so I wanted a paint correction, he removed the scratches, swirls and water spots. Then sealed it with a synthetic. He offers ceramic that is good for 3 years but it is not recommended to use a normal car wash, so I went with synthetic since they brine the roads in the winter and use a carwash with an undercarriage cleaning ability. So if you are having questions about your paint it doesn't hurt to see a pro and see what they recommend. I didn't feel confident buffing a black truck, but now I can seal it.

do you use a touchless car wash?

Welcome to BLACK. Said I would never buy another. Love my trucks clean and shinned  ,Wax on Wax off. but that black . No matter how good you are ,how well taken care of it is. If you use it, It's gonna show marks!

DSCN1074.JPG

I have a black 2018 like everyone said no matter what black is just a tough one. I don’t go to car washes I use a foam cannon to clean it. with chemical guys soap that don’t strip the wax off. When I fully detail it chemical guys VSS swirl and scratch remover is amazing on a DA takes most of the fine swirls or scratches. Again black is just one of those battles lol.

So far I have found Mothers Synthetic wax to be the best on my vehicles over the years. It really gives the paint good depth, especially on colors like red and brown. https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05716-California-Synthetic-Liquid/dp/B006VU3762 . I probably put on a coat 2-3 times a year, just whenever I feel like my truck has lost its pop

Black is absolutely beautiful when washed and an hour later you will notice dust buildup.  For this reason I ended up trading my black 2014 All Terrain for the 2015 White Diamond All Terrain.  My advice is use the 2 bucket method to wash.  I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax found at Wally World.  Use either soft microfiber towels or a sheepskin mitt to apply soap to your paint and do not use these to wipe wheels or lower body panels.  For the lower panels use a different towel than those used on doors, hood, roof, and tailgate.   Use straight motions when applying soap and drying.  To dry use either microfiber towels or a waffle weave towel and use spray detailer for lubricity.  To remove the light swirls and water spots you described my recommendation is use a Griot's Garage DA polisher with Orange Lake Country pads, Meguiar's M205 and follow up with a quality sealant or wax.  Washing and cleaning a black truck is a job in itself.  Won't ever purchase a large vehicle in black for this reason.  A Corvette,  similar size car or a RCSB truck I am ok with.

Recommend you look at Detailed Image and Autogeek websites plus Ammo NYC YouTube channel for excellent washing tips.