Have dealer install level kit or no?

Last year, I bought the  2" Rough Country level kit on sale but have debated whether or not to install it. I recently went to a new GM dealership for service. While I was there, I happened to notice a sign in their parts department that they install lift kits. I decided to ask the service writer about more info. I asked if besides lift kits if they install level kits as well. He said they did. I then asked if I supplied the level kit if they would install that as well. He said as long as all the parts are there, they would. In the discussion I mentioned that it was a Rough Country kit and he said that's what they install as well. He said that it would be a charge for 2 hours labor along with doing an alignment and came in just over $300.

I know I could do the install myself when I am ready but wanted to ask if there is any advantage to have a dealer do the install instead. My truck is a 2016 with just over 36,0000 miles and because of a special deal I worked out, my warranty was extended through GM to 5 years and 60,000 miles. I just want to minimize any kind of warranty issues that might arise because of the level kit and I was thinking that a dealer installation might be the better way to go. Any thoughts?

I would rather save the money. I know that I will still have to pay for an alignment because that is beyond my abilities besides not having the equipment...

1 hour ago, ullose272 said:

There isn't any advantage to having a dealer install it.

I disagree. The advantage to having the dealer do any work is they SHOULD stand behind it. If you get home and something is making noise, take it back and they should repair it. If you install yourself and run into any problems, then you are on the hook for any additional repair. Now it depends if you are confident in your ability and want to save the $200 (or whatever 2 hours labor is). Like you said, you need to get the alignment done anyway.

I would suspect that any future repair work on the front end has less likelihood of being denied if the dealer installed it. Even though you exended your waranty, they are not bound to cover any parts that are damaged or prematurely worn due to modifying the suspension. Especially if you install it yourself and damage something. The warranty only covers the stock truck.

That doesn't mean you should pay someone else to do the work if you can do it yourself. Just be aware of everything that comes with modifying suspension.

• Like 2

I disagree. The advantage to having the dealer do any work is they SHOULD stand behind it. If you get home and something is making noise, take it back and they should repair it. If you install yourself and run into any problems, then you are on the hook for any additional repair. Now it depends if you are confident in your ability and want to save the $200 (or whatever 2 hours labor is). Like you said, you need to get the alignment done anyway.

I would suspect that any future repair work on the front end has less likelihood of being denied if the dealer installed it. Even though you exended your waranty, they are not bound to cover any parts that are damaged or prematurely worn due to modifying the suspension. Especially if you install it yourself and damage something. The warranty only covers the stock truck.

That doesn't mean you should pay someone else to do the work if you can do it yourself. Just be aware of everything that comes with modifying suspension.
2" level is very minor. Just some spacers on top of the strut assembly.

It'll be just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Mine is the RC 2" spacers that mount to the bottom of the strut. So looking at the responses, I may be better off just saving the money and doing the install myself and then getting the alignment. I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.

53 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Mine is the RC 2" spacers that mount to the bottom of the strut. So looking at the responses, I may be better off just saving the money and doing the install myself and then getting the alignment. I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.

I would have the dealer do the install.  The cost is not prohibitive and the peace of mind is worth the extra dollars, imo.   If the dealer hits a snag during the install, they have the expertise and equipment to complete the job.  There was a member on here earlier this week who broke the head off a bolt holding the lower end of a front shock. He learned a lot from his experience but the money saved from a professional install was probably not worth the stress and aggravation he experienced.    I know problems like this don't happen often in a "simple" spacer install but the less experience you have, the better the chances!  I also place a value on being able to hold the dealer accountable for any future issues that could be related to the front suspension.

• Like 1

Dealers are so weird. My dealer spoke to me like I was opening the gates of hell by putting a leveling kit on. My buddy’s dealer, said they absolutely install them, and it’s no big deal.  I’m goi g to a reputable shop, but I’m getting a deal so the cost is minimal. 

• Like 1

I recently did mine myself.  The only cost being the level kit ($40) and the lifetime alignment from Firestone ($159). So $200 and free alignments from now on. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know it's been awhile but I decided to install the level kit myself. I did it yesterday and although not too difficult, it was a bit time consuming. I took my time as I wanted to make sure I didnt make any mistakes. I had tried using the "easy" methods I came across on youtube and it may have worked if I put the bolts up from underneath but decided I wanted to put the bolts in from the top. Especially because I didnt want to have to cut the bolts down to size. I had one bolt on each side that was just not going to go in because of the 4x4 front axle unless I completely unbolted the top ball joint. I had also loosened the sway bar bushings but didnt take them all the way off. I did that and got all the bolts in the way I wanted and got it buttoned back up. An alignment will be next but sometime later in the week. And I will be checking and adjusting the headlights as well. Now to see if I am going to like it leveled...

I kept the original bolts but not sure if I should keep those clips that the original bolts screwed in to. If I end up not liking the level and decide to go with Bilsteins or something else, will they come with new clips and/or hardware? I'm just wondering if I should just trash the original bolts and clips.