New Shocks...

20 minutes ago, spenpet said:

Welp...I guess I'm just like most folks on this site...my stock Ranchos need replaced...about 56k miles...good times...

Do you have any b to b warranty?  I am not sure if shocks are covered but I would take my truck back to my dealer if a part failed like in your first picture.  The worst that would happen is they would offer me a good deal on a new set of shocks.  My relationship is good with my dealer but if you are reluctant to visit yours, I'd forward these pictures and a carefully worded letter to the manufacturer  of the shocks.  They may offer you a deal that is worth your while.  I understand that there are forum members who replace their shocks for performance upgrade purposes. ( I always replace factory tires soon after new vehicle purchase)  However, you have a low mileage part failure which deserves some form of credit, compensation or replacement , imo.

I had 70,000 on mine when the truck was traded, only 20,000mi on my 2015 Rancho's. They look like they have traveled the world twice over in nothing but road salt. Embarrassing really when your entire truck looks new and shinier than a diamond but your shocks look like you took them off a 1977 K series. Its like they put 1 coat of paint over an already-rusted shock tube, ultimate cheap skates. Decreasing quality, increasing cost. Welcome to the modern markets. 

• Like 2

56,000 miles out of them is not that bad when some people claim they fail much sooner than that. Even though its widely known that the ranchos are a basic bargain brand, the exterior rust is only cosmetic. There are hundreds of threads on here about replacing shocks, now you get to choose which ones you prefer for your particular needs.

• Like 1

the interesting thing of all this is i had 98k on my 2008 Chevy when I sold it...granted it was a 2wd and whatever stock shocks were on it...but they seemed to be just fine when I got rid of that truck...crazy how bad these Ranchos are compared just to the other stock shocks...planning on replacing with the o'l Bilstein's...I'm probably going to replace the rears next month (myself) and budget for the front as soon as I can...

5 minutes ago, aseibel said:

with 56,000 miles out of them is not that bad when some people claim they fail much sooner than that. Even though its widely known that the ranchos are a basic bargain brand, the exterior rust is only cosmetic. There are hundreds of threads on here about replacing shocks, now you get to choose which ones you prefer for your particular needs.

Well said.  The only times I've ever needed to replace a shock was for failure such as Op's experience.  My past several trucks have been sold or traded-in with their factory shocks. (I usually break 100k with my trucks)  I would not accept an early failure without making some polite noise!

Shocks have a pretty simple job. In the trucks I’ve bought new and kept for an average of 150K miles I’ve never replace shocks. All had weight in them and spent a good bit off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just replaced my factory Ranchos at 75k with Bilstien 5100's.........What a horrible waste of money that was. Truck rides almost EXACTLY the same between the two. Wsa hoping for a more controlled experience, less "nervousness" over expansion joints, and the like.....NOPE.....they're just about the same as the Rancho's I took off.

Aside from the rust there were no outward signs of failure on mine. Once off, they clearly hadn't failed at all and were still relatively difficult to compress throughout the range of motion.

Don't believe everything you read on the forums. If there isn't obvious signs of failure (as in OP's first picture) then they are probably still working just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I looked at my 2018 truck I was all happy it came with Rancho shocks (should have read the forums BEFORE). I couldn't stand the bouncy ride so I replaced the factory rancho's with Bilsteins at bout 3200 miles. In my experience, on the roads I drive, they were night and day. But it really depends on how you use your truck. I hardly ever drive on an Interstate, or even in town for that matter.

2 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

I just replaced my factory Ranchos at 75k with Bilstien 5100's.........What a horrible waste of money that was. Truck rides almost EXACTLY the same between the two. Wsa hoping for a more controlled experience, less "nervousness" over expansion joints, and the like.....NOPE.....they're just about the same as the Rancho's I took off.

Aside from the rust there were no outward signs of failure on mine. Once off, they clearly hadn't failed at all and were still relatively difficult to compress throughout the range of motion.

Don't believe everything you read on the forums. If there isn't obvious signs of failure (as in OP's first picture) then they are probably still working just fine.

So wait, you mean to tell me it wasn't like driving a whole new truck that handled like a sports car on rails and they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread? Bite your tongue... What's next, KO2 tires aren't going to be worth the extravagant money you pay for mediocre performance and can easily be outperformed my many other tires? 

Tyler

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, amxguy1970 said:

So wait, you mean to tell me it wasn't like driving a whole new truck that handled like a sports car on rails and they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread? Bite your tongue... What's next, KO2 tires aren't going to be worth the extravagant money you pay for mediocre performance and can easily be outperformed my many other tires? 

Tyler

Almost read my mind. I have KO2's on there now and will NOT be buying another set. They're far to stiff, heavy and slippery for my liking. Tons of capability off the pavement, and they look amazing. The ride, noise, and weight aren't worth it though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a set of those super duper Ranchos that, per the Internet, after 75k miles are just as good as new Bilstein 5100's, I'll let go for a fraction of the cost of Bilsteins. These only have 3200 miles on them. Let me know.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, typ0 said:

I have a set of those super duper Ranchos that, per the Internet, after 75k miles are just as good as new Bilstein 5100's, I'll let go for a fraction of the cost of Bilsteins. These only have 3200 miles on them. Let me know.

Buying used shocks online whether they are Rancho's or Bilstein's would not be a very wise purchase.  

• Like 1