Instead of catch can, why not delete PCV?

I definitely have some oily residue on the two short vent hoses whenever I disconnect them from the air intake plenum.

Would the air intake not draw the crankcase air in whereas during your test you were only finding if the crankcase was sucking or blowing?

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

1 hour ago, Mozzer said:

I definitely have some oily residue on the two short vent hoses whenever I disconnect them from the air intake plenum.

Would the air intake not draw the crankcase air in whereas during your test you were only finding if the crankcase was sucking or blowing?

i have seen a drop or two as well, but that little bit isn’t the problem...  the hose I discovered down lower, is the culprit and has a LOT of oil in it...

12 minutes ago, Mozzer said:

Agreed, I have a catch can on the pcv line but am interested in getting the remaining gunk out of the intake.

I guess there is no harm in putting a catch can on those as well.

I have that exact same cheap catch can from Amazon, installed it when the truck had 10,000 miles...now at 35,000 miles. The thing does catch oil. Haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. I usually drain it every 1,500 miles...depending on the weather it's usually half full or so. Winters you'll get a mix of water, condensation, oil...in the summer it's more oil and less full obviously. 

I lamost added some extra media to the can to catch more oil, but honestly the thing works so well, I never bothered. I've gone through two very cold winters with it, the key is to just empty it, if you do you'll have no problems. 

Now the real question is...how much is it helping? Is it worth it? For the price I figure...hey it can't hurt. Now if I spent $200 on the thing, I might feel different.

8 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Yeah, I see people filling it with stainless steel wool...  might keep the stuff from sloshing around and filter better, but would also require you to empty it more often, it taking up space and displacing oil and water...

Yeah and honestly I just didn't see the point, I mean the thing was doing it's job right away. I mean after the first day I had 100 miles on it, opened it up and yup, there was oil in there. Showed some guys I worked with and they were like...this is from one day?? So I didn't bother with the steel wool (plus the can isn't so small). 

I do wish the can was bigger and I wish it had a drain valve on the bottom (I probably could thread one in though). 

I still run seafoam into the intake every 5,000 miles regardless. Just take the hose off the can, turn the engine on, and slowly poor it right I tim the disconnected hose. I find that easier than trying to spray past the throttle plates. 

I have tried to send a boroscope camera down the intake to take a look at the valves but it's nearly impossible to get a camera in there - the only way to really tell if it's helping is to remove the intake (someday I'll give it a look).

My dealer does the BG valve cleaning service, so I will have them do that the next oil change.  I will check the catch can every week or so and so long as it’s removing most of the oil, I won’t worry too much about it once the valves have been cleaned.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I totally had this wrong.  What is scary is that nobody reading all this, caught it either!  LOL

Anyway, put the valve vent hoses back on the intake tube where they belong.  They are drawing air OUT of the intake tube, not depositing hot oily air into it.

The PCV hose is a single, short hose that comes from the top of the case, below the intake tube, and routes to the driver side of the motor, into the side of the intake manifold.

I have pics of the catch can mounted with the hoses, and I marked the hoses with green and red arrows, so you can see the direction the air flows...  
20190825_121039.thumb.jpg.5ca04638f93b12e1e7982c487d3e4096.jpg

20190825_121045.thumb.jpg.9e8d01f13e16669018ff9e60dcd02dc7.jpg
20190825_121022.thumb.jpg.e7dd9b66fbe1e366792087203e837737.jpg

So a small filter on the one under the intake tube and cap the one in the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the amount of oil I see in that lower hose, I think putting a filter on it might drip oil everywhere...

although you could attach a hose to it and mount a filter a couple feet away, as high up as possible and that would probably mitigate any mess.

but with decent catch cans being $30 shipped from Amazon, no reason not to have one.