Instead of catch can, why not delete PCV?

7 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

Yeah, the catch can won't eliminate oil in the intake, just slows it down...

For 2020 I am considering a new Z71 TailBoss with the 6.2L motor in it, and ordering it with the Callaway 560hp package...  I wonder if they install a catch can?

Can you not see what is included in the package from Callaway? 

17 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

Can you not see what is included in the package from Callaway? 

It doesn't give a lot of details on that particular truck.  I will have to ask my dealer for more info.

A Trailboss with 560hp would be a pretty badass truck though...

42 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

It doesn't give a lot of details on that particular truck.  I will have to ask my dealer for more info.

A Trailboss with 560hp would be a pretty badass truck though...

I have the 2018 Rocky Ridge Callaway SC560. It is a beast of a truck.

It started as a 6.2 8spd Loaded LTZ and then customized by Rocky Ridge and Callaway and retains full factory warranty. I also opted to purchase a 6yr 150K extended warranty.

It came with the AFM tuned out (didn't surprise me)

GenThree Triple Cooled Supercharger

Callaway Honker CAI

Callaway tuned stainless exhaust

4" coil over lift

Callaway 9 spoke wheels

Amp side steps

Carbon fiber interior

NO catch can

NO clean side separator

I installed a catch can and a clean side separator. I check and empty the can every 1,000 miles and depending how hard I drive the truck, it has about 2 tablespoons of crap in the can.

They have some agreement with GM.  My dad just got a 2017 Callaway SC757 Corvette and it's all covered under warranty.  That's the benefit of going the Callaway route... you order it through your dealer, they take care of it, it's all part of the financing and they add their own warranty on top of the factory warranty from Chevy...

If you were to take a new truck and go to some speed shop and toss on a supercharger and stuff, your GM warranty is pretty much toast.  With Callaway, it isn't.

id like to see the warranty.  iv seen in the past were they let you think you have a GM warranty but its really the BS superchargers warranty that only covers so much per component. I find it hard to believe GM would warranty something they didnt design  and test for.  After all for a 3rd of the price you can do the exact same thing Callaway does. If GM will warranty it when Callaway does it why wont they warranty it if someone else does it.  Just contract maybe. 

3 hours ago, JCunningham said:

got that full factory warranty in writing?  Does it say what Factory?  If you have a copy of what they gave you for the warranty could you post it up? 

Go to their website, do some research. Same for Rocky Ridge. Both companies perform the work prior to sale of the truck. Both offer 3yr/36K through the dealership.

Here: saved you some time,

Callaway - Bottom of their webpage: https://www.callawaycars.com/homepage/cars/supercharging/

Rocky Ridge - middle of the webpage: https://rockyridgetrucks.com/lifted-trucks/lifted-chevrolet-trucks/silverado-1500-2500/black-label/

from calaway An optional 5 year/60,000 mile Limited Powertrain Service Contract which matches the GM powertrain warranty term is also available. The page they supply a link for that explains the standard limited warranty does not exist.  Cool you have to pay extra for the 5/60000 that matches the GM warranty but yes it is offered.  No GM warranty though. 

from rocky ridge  WARRANTY & MAINTENANCE 3 year/ 36,000 Mile Warranty on all Rocky Ridge Components. nothing saying that GM wont deny warranty on stuff like wheel bearings or rear end due to pinion angles.  But dealer would have to be real ass holes not to take care of you.  many dealers are though. 

16 minutes ago, g2full said:

Anyone have the link to the amazon catch can? Or did you just search catch can?

Had you entered "oil catch can" in their search engine it would have returned more results than I cared to see.  Sometimes it is better to try the search before asking someone else to do it for you.

6 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

Had you entered "oil catch can" in their search engine it would have returned more results than I cared to see.  Sometimes it is better to try the search before asking someone else to do it for you.

Correct, and thanks for stating the obvious. I wanted to see which brand and which specific catch can was mentioned here. I'm not an idiot, and know how to use a search engine.

Maybe ask clarifying questions before being a dick?

All these companies are is upfitter's, just like motorhomes, ambulances, etc. The upfitter is the warrantor on the modifications, NOT GM.  So if you have such a vehicle and you go to a different dealer than sold you the vehicle, good luck.

Local twp FD is fit to be tied with Furd Ambulance diesel they have. Ford says the upfitter is responsible for the dead battery problems, upfitter says it Ford and they should pay, neither will pay. If it was just the harness, it would be several 100 dollars but the labor to track down the problem is in the 1,000's.  TWP is suing the upfitter.  The local Furd dealers did not sell it, it was out on bids, a gov't grant where a big fleet dealer in another state got the low bid, it was 100's of misc emergency vehicles in the special purchase, they waited almost a year to get it..

On 8/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, SquireSCA said:

What I wish there was, was a way to route the crankcase vent to the exhaust manifold... Let that draw the oily air via vacuum and have it bypass the motor entirely...

You can do that on bikes, which normally dump the crankcase vent into the airbox...  they also have a hose off the airbox that goes into the exhaust manifold to help "clean up emissions"...  So you plug the airbox, and route that hose to the exhaust(normally called SAI or PAIR, depending on the make of bike) and connect the crackcase vent to that, and it will pull a slight vacuum on the crankcase...

I have a  set up like this actually. 

You will need Moroso Part Number 25900, and put the PCV into the exhaust after the O2 sensors like I did.

I want to make a video about it on my YouTube channel, also curious to see how mad treehuggers would get

• Like 1

Have you checked your fuel trims after you breather valve cover mods? you might be causing issues  

seen this before on racecars, but the vacuum on the engine case is much lower than a stock pcv would draw, so it's not optimum in regards to the benefits of a pcv system, maybe utilize both ideas somehow

you could install a super tiny motorcycle turbo dedicated only to crank case vacuum,  run it off of an exhaust primary you only need enough low pressure to keep the cank case in low pressure state and blow it out the muffler

Edited by flyingfool