Instead of catch can, why not delete PCV?

52 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

Depends, I mean the engine vacuum seems pretty "normal" or in range to me compared to other engines I've seen. I think part of the problem might be air/oil separation through the PCV system...GM has neglected this in the past, only later to have to come back and correct it. 

But oil tracking into the intake manifold does happen with lots of other manufacturers and engines. Owned a Lexus 460 for years...that intake always seemed to have oil in it...I'd even see it tracking through the fresh air portion of the PCV system, right up the air snorkel and into the throttle body.

Something maybe to consider with these engines is that manifold vacuum drops when it goes into V4 mode, that's the reason why the brake booster is not fed by manifold vacuum, but rather from a vacuum pump...because they couldn't chance drops in vacuum effecting braking. Now what I wonder is, when the switch from V4 to V8 mode occurs...might there be a vacuum "snap", a sudden uptick in vacuum that pulls in more oil initially? 

Just a thought.

I have 4 cyl mode disabled with my tune.

I installed that Amazon can which is a China knock off of the ADD-1 can which costs hundreds more. 

I added some stainless scrub pad into the baffle and wow, 400 miles and have almost 1/2 inch of oil already. 

Dont want that stuff coating my intake system. 

Hooked mine up with OEM quick disconnects, in case I have to visit my dealer, can have it out with my 15mm wrench and a blade screwdriver in less than 5 mins. 

I keep both tools and my stock PVC line in a bag behind my seat.  ?

Edited by Slvijoe

Dealerships will do anything to void your warranty. Some I suppose are neutral about it, but I’m not going to take the chance of some pencil pusher voiding mine. 

They might not say a thing about it, but be rest assured they have it documented for future visits. 

Edited by Slvijoe

1 hour ago, Slvijoe said:

I installed that Amazon can which is a China knock off of the ADD-1 can which costs hundreds more. 

I added some stainless scrub pad into the baffle and wow, 400 miles and have almost 1/2 inch of oil already. 

Dont want that stuff coating my intake system. 

Hooked mine up with OEM quick disconnects, in case I have to visit my dealer, can have it out with my 15mm wrench and a blade screwdriver in less than 5 mins. 

I keep both tools and my stock PVC line in a bag behind my seat.  ?

Yeah I take mine off if I need to take it to the dealer...usually takes me 10 minutes (although I don't have the quick disconnects). Dealer will definitely document and use it against you later down the road...then when you need that warranty repair you'll be in for a fight. Another thing I worry about is oil changes, I do them myself and I've heard they've denied warranty repairs if there's not documentation of oil changes (and I don't save my receipts). Probably should.

9 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

Yeah I take mine off if I need to take it to the dealer...usually takes me 10 minutes (although I don't have the quick disconnects). Dealer will definitely document and use it against you later down the road...then when you need that warranty repair you'll be in for a fight. Another thing I worry about is oil changes, I do them myself and I've heard they've denied warranty repairs if there's not documentation of oil changes (and I don't save my receipts). Probably should.

Definitely keep your receipts for oil and filters and any other gear lube changing that you do yourself. 

Make sure you using the lubes GM calls for, doesn’t mean it has to be GM, but the specs they call for. 

I have the dealer do all the work, as oil changes are included every 5k miles till 40k...  but I guess I can remove the catch can for when I go in... will take 5 min to return things to stock...

for the intake valve cleaning... pay the dealer to do it, or do the Seafoam kit myself?

2 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

Where do you get the OEM connectors?  Would make it easy I guess, just in case.

Go to :  mightymousesolutions.com              

Search OEM connectors. 

23421959-E7DC-47A7-91CA-E9CD638168DA.jpeg.baad3e2eb26f8467a2130e784480781c.jpeg

Edited by Slvijoe

7 hours ago, Slvijoe said:

Definitely keep your receipts for oil and filters and any other gear lube changing that you do yourself. 

Make sure you using the lubes GM calls for, doesn’t mean it has to be GM, but the specs they call for. 

I'll have to start doing that, my truck did come with two free oil changes, I've used one but I don't think I'll use the other...I can't stand having someone work on my truck and I probably waited 2 hours for that oil change to get done. It was a pretty bad experience...and when they set it up on the lift all of the under coating got pushed off (had to refinish it). Did I mention I'm OCD? Lol

7 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

I have the dealer do all the work, as oil changes are included every 5k miles till 40k...  but I guess I can remove the catch can for when I go in... will take 5 min to return things to stock...

for the intake valve cleaning... pay the dealer to do it, or do the Seafoam kit myself?

Free oil changes till 40,000 miles? Where did you get that, because GM will only give you two "free" oil changes within the first two years? That's a great deal.

personally I'm so OCD that I can't stand having them do it, did it once, don't think I'll go back for my second one. Plus I know they use cheap bulk oil (I worked in dealers for years). My dealer didn't no even want to do my oil change when it had 5,000 miles...they kept telling me it was too soon...that I needed to wait until my light went off or it hit 7,500 miles. I told them no, I want to do it now. I don't let it go past 5,000 miles...not with a direct injection engine.

3 hours ago, Doublebase said:

Free oil changes till 40,000 miles? Where did you get that, because GM will only give you two "free" oil changes within the first two years? That's a great deal.

personally I'm so OCD that I can't stand having them do it, did it once, don't think I'll go back for my second one. Plus I know they use cheap bulk oil (I worked in dealers for years). My dealer didn't no even want to do my oil change when it had 5,000 miles...they kept telling me it was too soon...that I needed to wait until my light went off or it hit 7,500 miles. I told them no, I want to do it now. I don't let it go past 5,000 miles...not with a direct injection engine.

Was just part of the package deal that I negotiated with them when I bought it.  I wanted a spray in bed liner, upgrade the cloth seats to leather, 2.25" level kit installed up front and 3" blocks in the back, upgrade the tires to 1 size larger than stock, Nitto Ridgegrapplers, etc...  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

you guys figure why we have a pcv ?lol

1.it removes moisture buildup in oil and cleans the oil

2.stops oil from becomming acidic and corroding internals.

3. pulls vacuum on the rings for better oil control and ring seal at idle or low rpm conditions.

4. reburns by-passed hydrocarbons instead of escaping into the enviroment.

seems like many benefits, except oil consumption issues

Edited by flyingfool