Weird water problem

My 2011 Silverado LT has had water in the passenger floorboard for quite some time. First thing I checked was the ac drain tube, clean and outputting plenty of water. So next I went a little overboard and removed the passenger seat and bottom ac cover, glove box and flip up compartment and got inside while someone drowned it with a hose. Nothing! No a drop came in around the firewall. But later after a rain event I found the rocker panel soaked and I replaced the door seal, no more wet rocker panel. I thought I fixed it but even though it hasn't rained in a month the padding under the carpet is wet again. I've left the carpet pulled back aloft the ac full blast but Nothing, no water. There is a little condensation on the filter housing, (no filter) but nothing else.  I stumped 

Yeah I agree,  it has to be condensation, I definitely know the smell of coolant, I can not for the life of me figure out how it's getting around my carpet to the padding. I forgot to mention that the carpet is dry on top. 

Could be the windshield leaking. Its easy to test. Spray foaming glass cleaner around the exterior perimeter of the glass. Use compressed air blower on the inside perimeter.

Edited by muddkatt
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Evelhorn said:

By the way, I live in the south so my ac stays on 24/7

I’m in Texas, so I understand.

I do try & turn my A/C off “max” & back to “normal” outside air before I get to my destination. It helps keep mold & bacteria growth down inside the case, and helps to dry the condensation out some too. 

I just wonder if you have a crack in the plastic A/C housing somewhere? Or a seal missing where the 2 halves seat together...?

did you buy this truck new?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 9:58 AM, Evelhorn said:

My 2011 Silverado LT has had water in the passenger floorboard for quite some time. First thing I checked was the ac drain tube, clean and outputting plenty of water. So next I went a little overboard and removed the passenger seat and bottom ac cover, glove box and flip up compartment and got inside while someone drowned it with a hose. Nothing! No a drop came in around the firewall. But later after a rain event I found the rocker panel soaked and I replaced the door seal, no more wet rocker panel. I thought I fixed it but even though it hasn't rained in a month the padding under the carpet is wet again. I've left the carpet pulled back aloft the ac full blast but Nothing, no water. There is a little condensation on the filter housing, (no filter) but nothing else.  I stumped 

Did they spray the roof with water too?  Around the windshield and even the antenna on the driver's side?  You'd be surprised on where water can come from and wind up sometimes.  So no leaks at the evaporator huh?  That's the likely culprit.

A Tech-2 can turn on the "Afterblow" feature which runs the fan after shut down to dry out the evaporator and keep mold and bacteria from forming.

I would take your VIN# up to any dealership service dept. 

They can show you the warranty history. If there was a water leak issue back then, there will be a "paper trail" so to speak. 

I would be curious to see what the original owner went thru...

• Like 1

There is a seam in the firewall about half way up from the bottom that sometimes didn't get enough sealant during manufacture that could be the source of the leak, especially if you drive rapidly through road water.

Just a thought.  It happened to my '13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good stuff, next chance I get I'm gonna really dig into this issue and resolve it hopefully, finding the time is my main problem. Maybe this weekend, I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for sharing your ideas 

• Thanks 1

Did you check your door drains?  Do you still have factory speakers in the door?  I put some different speakers in the doors of my '01 Silverado and the idiot cut the door up and I ended up having to put a sheet of plastic to guide the water to the drains to stop my leak.  I have a friend who does auto glass for a living...we checked all over the place till we took a water hose on low and ran the water at the base of the window with the door open...that's how we narrowed it down.