Air Filter

I checked my air filter at 22k miles to see what it looked like. I was given a new AC Delco (GM OEM) filter when I bought the truck as a sort of incentive. I decided to replace the filter since it was at no cost to me. Well...come to find out, the filter in there is a FRAM filter--not the OE filter that was supposed to come with the truck. WTF? It even said "FIAT" on the filter. Not sure when it was swapped out but likely from the dealer when I bought it "new." When I bought it, the truck had 315 miles on it and obviously was used for something prior to getting into my hand.

BTW: The cabin air filter was extremely dirty so I will have to check that more often--this is a highway queen so it's not like I have been surfing dirt roads. 

Not trying to be smart ass but curious how a $20 filter was incentive in buying a $40k +  truck?    Did you check the underside for anything unusual? Even though it was only 315 miles I wonder if it had some high water that entered the filter area before your purchase and they threw in a cheap replacement filter?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, madsen203 said:

I checked my air filter at 22k miles to see what it looked like. I was given a new AC Delco (GM OEM) filter when I bought the truck as a sort of incentive. I decided to replace the filter since it was at no cost to me. Well...come to find out, the filter in there is a FRAM filter--not the OE filter that was supposed to come with the truck. WTF? It even said "FIAT" on the filter. Not sure when it was swapped out but likely from the dealer when I bought it "new." When I bought it, the truck had 315 miles on it and obviously was used for something prior to getting into my hand. 

BTW: The cabin air filter was extremely dirty so I will have to check that more often--this is a highway queen so it's not like I have been surfing dirt roads. 

Got any pictures of the filter you took out?  Any part numbers/brands stamped on the outer pleats?  Usually the OE filters will have numbers/brands printed on the end pleats. 

14 minutes ago, newdude said:

Got any pictures of the filter you took out?  Any part numbers/brands stamped on the outer pleats?  Usually the OE filters will have numbers/brands printed on the end pleats. 

The brand stated "FRAM" made in Canada and then "Fiat" 

It was orange in color - classic Fram air filter. The AC Delco has a black silicone around it. 

I threw it out. It was a proper fit but why was it replaced? Truck only had  300 miles so it's not like they needed to replace it if that was the case. 

There was a $100 accessory credit you could get at the time so I asked that they give me parts instead. I got several oil filters, cabin and air filter, and some o-rings for the oil plug. Basically enough so I could do my own oil changes for some time. 

20 minutes ago, madsen203 said:

I bought it from kendall Automall in Idaho

I meant that more rhetorically, but was it an actual Chevy dealer? An auto mall sounds anything but. And if not an actual Chevy dealer, that begs the question how said dealer got it with only a few hundred miles on it. I don’t mean to sound accusatory but i can’t help but think that some crucial piece of information is missing. 

1 hour ago, madsen203 said:

The brand stated "FRAM" made in Canada and then "Fiat" 

It was orange in color - classic Fram air filter. The AC Delco has a black silicone around it. 

I threw it out. It was a proper fit but why was it replaced? Truck only had  300 miles so it's not like they needed to replace it if that was the case. 

There was a $100 accessory credit you could get at the time so I asked that they give me parts instead. I got several oil filters, cabin and air filter, and some o-rings for the oil plug. Basically enough so I could do my own oil changes for some time. 

Perhaps the entire air box was replaced?  Truck have a clean carfax?

47 minutes ago, reardiff said:

I just looked at their website and they have some great prices.  There's a SLT 6.2 MSRP of $62,560 on sale for $47,303.   That's just over 25% off! https://www.kendallautomall.com/ 

HELL YEAH they got great prices they’re scamming air filters off new trucks everybody knows that’s where the real money is...

Question for the OP does this dealership require the salesman to go out with you on test drives? If not some cheap ass probably swapped out filters cause they are to cheap to buy one. Trust me this kind of thing happens...

Also always change your own oil? If not better check your receipts or maybe homeboy @ the quickie lube needed a new one for his truck?

The cabin filter set up in these suck. I change mine once a year regardless of miles.

(mines a garage queen)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, newdude said:

Perhaps the entire air box was replaced?  Truck have a clean carfax?

Clean as far as I can tell. Who knows...Sketch.

they are a reputable dealer. I got my 2018 last June for 42.1k when MSRP was 62.3k. 

They are are a certified OE dealer/service but have several brands and thus the automall name. 

Im not worried about it-the filter was clean-but was like a huge WTF moment. 

Likely an an inside job. Why? I’m not sure.