Dash Camera Options

I’ve been debating a dash cam for a couple years and now regret not having one. Swapped cars with the wife yesterday and it turned out to be a bad deal for her. Probably not totaled but an uninsured driver ran a stop sign and clipped the front of me. Icing on the cake is that she didn’t even get ticketed because there was “no proof.”

So, what is the best dash cam that is reliable and around the $100 or less price point. I’m going to need three of them so cost is a slight factor, but want decent quality too. I know blackvue is a decent brand but all of the others seem like randome Chinese brands. Is there a specific manufacture to look for?

Picture of my wife’s freshly wrecked Honda for attention:

C34C17AB-CE27-49D3-9AC7-9F0816840B85.jpeg

Edited by damnthetorpedoes
  • Sad 1

First off,  I pay about 50 bucks a year for under/non insured driver protection. That's something you should consider.

Second, don't cheap out on those dash cams. They may have come a long way since, but the cheap ones I've tried in the past didn't survive a hot summer.

IMO Blackvue is the way to go. I'm sure that there are other cams out there with the same quality for a lower price. I'm just tired of being the guinea pig.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 2

4 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

First off,  I pay about 50 bucks a year for under/non insured driver protection. That's something you should consider.

Second, don't cheap out on those dash cams. They may have come a long way since, but the cheap ones I've tried in the past didn't survive a hot summer.

IMO Blackvue is the way to go. I'm sure that there are other cams out there with the same quality for a lower price. I'm just tired of being the guinea pig.

so long

j-ten-ner

I definitely have UM coverage, but factoring in the impending hit to my premium plus my deductible it still stings when it’s someone else’s fault. 

I’m thinking about ordering this one to try: https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr590-1ch/

If it goes well I will put them in all of our vehicles. 

• Like 2

BlackVue is good but overpriced imo. I have a front and rear setup in my truck and a front in my work van. Both sit in the sun all day long and both have worked flawlessly with beautiful HD footage. They even sell Rexing right inside Best buy known as best buy edition with a free hard wire kit and SD card just for 99.99. It's a great deal!

Edit: they no longer sell the Best buy edition unfortunately but here is Amazon w/o hard wire kit and SD 

Rexing V1 Wi-Fi Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Supercapacitor, Mobile App https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zkOxDbDBBEPJV

Dual cameras for another $30.00

Rexing V1P 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dual Channel Wi-Fi Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with Rear Camera, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Mobile App https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX8ATKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MlOxDb34JT49T

Edited by DominatorZ71
  • Like 1

I have this one in the truck but it's quite a bit more than what you're looking for. I got it for $125 on Prime day

Rexing V1P 3rd Generation Dual 1080p Full HD Front and Rear 170 Degree Wide Angle Wi-Fi Car Dash Cam with Supercapacitor, 2.4" LCD Screen, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Mobile App https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCSMJZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fCOxDbAMDK88P

• Like 4

Also, don't cheap out on the SD card. Get a high endurance card. These are designed to last longer and for use in extreme environments.

Regular SD cards can't withstand the high temps encountered in dash-cams or the vibration. They are also limited on the number of times they can be over-written before they start to corrupt. High endurance cards will last, typically, 20 times longer.

• Like 3

I have this one in the truck but it's quite a bit more than what you're looking for. I got it for $125 on Prime day
Rexing V1P 3rd Generation Dual 1080p Full HD Front and Rear 170 Degree Wide Angle Wi-Fi Car Dash Cam with Supercapacitor, 2.4" LCD Screen, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Mobile App https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCSMJZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fCOxDbAMDK88P

I’ve been looking into one as well, this one looks like a nice one too. Wish we had some made in the USA as well as Japan, like the high quality days! Thank you for posting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ve been looking into one as well, this one looks like a nice one too. Wish we had some made in the USA as well as Japan, like the high quality days! Thank you for posting this

Sure thing! I used the hard wire kit from my Bestbuy edition box and everything is tucked away nicely. Wish I could find a fuse that shuts off with the ignition though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Also, don't cheap out on the SD card. Get a high endurance card. These are designed to last longer and for use in extreme environments.
Regular SD cards can't withstand the high temps encountered in dash-cams or the vibration. They are also limited on the number of times they can be over-written before they start to corrupt. High endurance cards will last, typically, 20 times longer.

Second this, very important part of any dashcam

I have a YI dash cam in my truck, got it on Amazon.ca for $69.99 60fps, 1080p works great. I'm looking for another for the new Optima, might go with the same. Or find one with the rear cam. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DominatorZ71 said:

Sure thing! I used the hard wire kit from my Bestbuy edition box and everything is tucked away nicely. Wish I could find a fuse that shuts off with the ignition though.

See here:

• Like 1

I bought an Aukey DR01 last fall and it has been great for the price (1080p, small size, no battery...I think it has a capacitor instead for extreme temp changes).  They are only $50 on Amazon right now.  I have mine mounted to my rear view mirror stalk with a mount kit and a hidden hardwire kit to the drivers side fuse box. 

As other has stated, Rexing is the way to go. I have one in my truck mounted on the windshield behind the review mirror. Hardly noticeable and works like a charm. I have it hardwired in and love it. Their customer support is good too. I have the V1 but would like to upgrade to the newer model with review connections at some point.