Dipstick-less Transmissions

6 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Some penny pinching, eco friendly bicycle rider at GM has removed the automatic transmission dipsticks from the '19 truck transmissions. I was waiting for this as soon as they started pulling this crap in their FWD sedans/SUVs.

Now their trucks have adopted the same mantra as their front drive sedans, no dipstick, no filling port, no fluid checks necessary unless you see a leak, and the GM will then get a service visit. Can't leave fluid changes in the hands of a novice, they may dispose of it improperly and kill some fishies or some other lame excuse to tout maintenance free as a guise for saving a few bucks on parts and labor on their bargain priced $50K trucks.

Wasn't too bothered when it disappeared from sedan - but, really? -  some clueless designer actually removed it from a truck? Trucks have beds and hitches for hauling heavy crap like towing a boat on mountain roads up and down to the river. Manual gear selection and tranny temp gauges are useful for this purpose, but equally important is the dipstick to check the condition of the fluid. On hot days with a heavy load in cresting hills at max tranny temps it is always a good idea to check the smell and color of the fluid. Fading or disappearance of the red color of the heat sensitive dye in the fluid is cause for immediate concern and a fast fluid change to avert future damage. Now without a dipstick to monitor fluid, you're SOL without raising the vehicle and guessing which tranny bolt will permit access for checking without giving you a Dextron shampoo.

Good move GM. Next to disappear is the engine oil dipstick with drivers being dependent solely upon the OLM and a low oil check light for oil monitoring. Then the ultimate hood welded shut and buy a new one when the engine light comes on.

I hear ya brother. I work in the industry and unfortunately people like us are not the majority - most people don't care and/or don't know if they need to change such a thing (life time bs) and I agree with you the hood will be a dealer only deal pretty soon people don't want to be connected with their vehicle that way they want to be connected the Bluetooth way.

I like doing my maintenance myself for few reasons:

1. I actually enjoy it - I can't explain why but I see people running in the street for no reason and they enjoy it, can't judge me for turning wrenches in my garage :)

2. I don't want a scrawny kid who is spacey %90 of the time and mastering fortnite dances the other %10 to change my oil.

After my father retired he worked as a part time lube tech at one of the best dealers here in town I want to say it is the number one. he could not stand how worker treated customer car (the 20millions point inspection) it is just a joke most tech don't do it and even if the air filter is dusty the tech will recommend to have it changed. And any recommended maintenance the customer agree to perform the tech will get a percent on it - and they will not let tech show customers bad parts unless customers requested that.

Also, some people don't care - drop the car off, get in the courtesy vehicle, get a phone call later, agree on all recommendation, whips out a credit card, get the car back (God knows what been actually done), and then drives home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aseibel said:

How many times a year do you push your transmission to the max, such that you have to inspect the fluid upon coming to a stop? Have your fluid changed every 50k if it bothers you.

If you're this worried about it, then maybe a 2500 would be a better fit for your lifestyle. I'm guessing the vast majority of 1500 owners won't care or even notice.

Not worried, just commenting. No more generator oil ports, distributor oil ports, grease fittings, clutches to adjust, spark plugs/wires or other things to check and play with, only oil, air and filter changes even before they are due. I haven't owned a vehicle that hit 50K, changed tranny fluid or bought a set of new tires in over 20 years.

7 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Since you are on the penny pinching topic.....   also note that your T1 has a plastic hood release lever.

Was this to save money or weight, or both ? :dunno:

You forgot also so GM can also make big bucks on the replacement parts. Door handles are a good indicator, many an outside handle has broken and now the inner release handles are hollow plastic.

6 hours ago, Jglew82 said:

I worked for Toyota up until 2006, and they released some trannies with that "world standard" lifetime fluid. No dipstick, even back then. This isn't really a new thing. 

What have the U.S. automakers come to? Now we're copying the Japanese.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And why I don't buy used with more than a few thousand miles on them. 

:banghead:

Lol, okay. You're old school, Grumps. 

Here in the modern world, trucks do not need that level of consistent, manual monitoring any longer. If you're doing routine, scheduled maintenance on your vehicle, all will be well. 

My 2007 was in top shape when I traded it back in March. I took great care of that thing... and never once checked the trans fluid. 

4 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Is there anything about these trucks you won't be an ass backwards curmudgeon about?

I see the good and bad in everything -

Good: Sure beats walking! 

Bad: Front ends are too weak and messy for practical deer hunting.

Love my wife kept her for almost 50 years. Liked my dogs kept them for their lifetimes. It's been all good and not a bad word to say about any of them. 

But, no sentiments whatsoever for the 3 dozen or so vehicles I've owned, not even from the first day they rolled off the dealer's lot - like the wife and dogs, they're fun to play with -  but not for long with these transportation whores -  it is hasta la vista as soon as one pi$$es me off or a flashier one catches my eye.

8 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Lol, okay. You're old school, Grumps. 

Here in the modern world, trucks do not need that level of consistent, manual monitoring any longer. If you're doing routine, scheduled maintenance on your vehicle, all will be well. 

My 2007 was in top shape when I traded it back in March. I took great care of that thing... and never once checked the trans fluid. 

Why....yes I am econometrics and why are you pointing out my faults? :crackup:Getting old SUCKS. 

We've gotten accustomed to not checking. It's the time you don't when you should have that's the kill' a. 

7 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I've heard that. Seems it's happening to me, too... ?

Don't fight it: embrace it! Has it's advantages if you've still got your wits, your hair and decent preventive maintenance over the years.......just like the many 50's era rides running around in Cuba today proving old ain't dead. Easier to talk to young attractive women without them thinking you're trying to hit on them. Have the roads to yourself, empty movie theaters and no crowds shopping during the day when others are working. Plenty of similar old coots to talk with waiting for the wives. Senior discounts come in handy.

And when retired, no reason to live in fear or worry in an over taxed blue State either. 1863: "God made men, Sam Colt made them equal".

8 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Since you are on the penny pinching topic.....   also note that your T1 has a plastic hood release lever.

Was this to save money or weight, or both ? :dunno:

I saw in a video somewhere that on the T1 it is plastic to create a thermal break. So when you go to release the latch it not hot on your hand if the motor has been running for awhile but... Probably to save $$$ lol   

• Haha 1