Dipstick-less Transmissions

Has anyone seen a procedure for how the dealer is supposed to replace or inspect the fluid? Considering changing mine after a few thousand miles because I don't believe I have the new fluid that is now listed in the TSB and honestly would rather just replace it myself without having to deal with trying to convince the dealer that I feel a weird shift every now and then. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, Thomcat said:

Some penny pinching, eco friendly bicycle rider at GM has removed the automatic transmission dipsticks from the '19 truck transmissions. I was waiting for this as soon as they started pulling this crap in their FWD sedans/SUVs.

Now their trucks have adopted the same mantra as their front drive sedans, no dipstick, no filling port, no fluid checks necessary unless you see a leak, and the GM will then get a service visit. Can't leave fluid changes in the hands of a novice, they may dispose of it improperly and kill some fishies or some other lame excuse to tout maintenance free as a guise for saving a few bucks on parts and labor on their bargain priced $50K trucks.

Wasn't too bothered when it disappeared from sedan - but, really? -  some clueless designer actually removed it from a truck? Trucks have beds and hitches for hauling heavy crap like towing a boat on mountain roads up and down to the river. Manual gear selection and tranny temp gauges are useful for this purpose, but equally important is the dipstick to check the condition of the fluid. On hot days with a heavy load in cresting hills at max tranny temps it is always a good idea to check the smell and color of the fluid. Fading or disappearance of the red color of the heat sensitive dye in the fluid is cause for immediate concern and a fast fluid change to avert future damage. Now without a dipstick to monitor fluid, you're SOL without raising the vehicle and guessing which tranny bolt will permit access for checking without giving you a Dextron shampoo.

Good move GM. Next to disappear is the engine oil dipstick with drivers being dependent solely upon the OLM and a low oil check light for oil monitoring. Then the ultimate hood welded shut and buy a new one when the engine light comes on.

this isnt new to the 2019s this started on the last generation of the trucks based on what trans you have. if you have an 8/10 speed it has no dipstick. but if you had the 6 speed it did. but there is ways to check the fluid level, truck has to be running and at operating temp, there is a check plug on the pan. pull it. fluid will run out, when it slows to a drip put the plug bag. its full. if it dont run out at all then it is most likely a lil low. there is a fill plug on the side of the case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jay webb said:

this isnt new to the 2019s this started on the last generation of the trucks based on what trans you have. if you have an 8/10 speed it has no dipstick. but if you had the 6 speed it did. but there is ways to check the fluid level, truck has to be running and at operating temp, there is a check plug on the pan. pull it. fluid will run out, when it slows to a drip put the plug bag. its full. if it dont run out at all then it is most likely a lil low. there is a fill plug on the side of the case. 

Thank you! That was informative 

• 9 months later...

How many threads do we have complaining about transmission issues? 

How many of those issues are caused by neglected fluid?

How many believe there is such a thing as any 'forever' part? 

Really? Define forever! 

My forever is around a million miles

GM's forever is about 60 thousand

Before you say a million is unrealistic ask yourself is 60 K is

• Like 2

Yeah I used to believe transmissions that were sealed were lifetime till I had to service one at 50K miles from slipping. Was an eye opener. Any tow rig that isn’t changing the fluid every 40K miles can expect to see an early life fail IMHO. Even if you keep the trans temp under 200F fluids still wear out. Fluid is a whole lot less costly than a rebuild.

BTW I consider 300K miles or under an early life fail!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, jay webb said:

WHERE on the case? I see a 1/8" pipe plug1B48E385-6D4C-4675-8DF8-2C81B7E4B6BE.thumb.jpeg.e5bed608e40a0e37ab927cffce743da0.jpeg

I figure one of the reasons for 'dipstickless' is that they got tired of damage from owners that ignored / didn't know the correct check method and ended up with damage from the incorrect level. 

Severe service maintenance schedule is still 45,000 miles for trans oil and filter change.

Edited by redwngr