No BS Opinion Needed

I currently have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0,  Crew Cab, Standard Bed, LTZ, Z71 that I use to pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. The FW weights a tad over 9K loaded with 2K of pin weight. My current truck pulls the FW just fine with the exception of hills where it downshifts to 5th, 4th, and sometimes 3rd to maintain 63mph. 63mph seems to be the sweet spot for best fuel economy while towing.

I'm considering a 3500HD 8' bed with the same equipment as my 2500HD with the difference being diesel. My concern is that I don't use the truck much other than short trips to Wally World and occasional short trips of less than 50 miles. Our camping trips are about once a month and can be just a few miles or 1500 - 2000 miles. The longer trip(s) are usually only twice a year.

So, with a driving history like that, am I going to have more than usual emission system trouble?

I think the 3500hd will be better for pin weight.  I have the same, and with that pin weight it maxes out the trucks gvwr. The def fluid has a shelf life on it. Just have to keep that fresh.  Other than that run it ones and while up to full temperature to keep thing good.

FWIW, you can run your truck in 3rd gear for years with a 9k trailer and not hurt it.  If you trade it in now, 20 years from now, someone else will be still towing 9k behind it in 3rd gear, getting crappy gas mileage and thinking about whether they should get a diesel.  

Thanks for the opinions folks … I've decided to keep the 2500. She pulls my FW just fine. I don't believe the added ownership cost of a diesel is worthwhile in my situation.

• Like 3

I would agree.  Diesel may be nice and fun, but given what your application is, not worth the extra cost.  It is the primary reason I will keep my 2015 2500 6.0 for quite some time.  I will leave the diesel to my commercial stuff where I can justify  the cost.  I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year commercially.  I have been dealing with diesels since the 1960's and even 10 years living in the interior of Alaska.  I don't have the starry eyed view of diesels that some seem to have.  You can almost see it in how they talk about diesels.  Just the mere mention of diesel and some almost go into an orgasm.  Many other see it as a status symbol.   Far fewer people actually need it.  There is a reason why commercial buyers, at least 3 to 1, choose gasser HD pickups over diesel pickups.  

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We pulled with gas one tons before there were diesels. One of our first pullers was a two ton wrecker we put a ball in. 6 cylinder stick two speed rear. 60 mph was all she do screaming. It would do it all day. 350s, 454s, 390s. 410 rears screaming all day long. Miss those trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, tripleb said:

Thanks for the opinions folks … I've decided to keep the 2500. She pulls my FW just fine. I don't believe the added ownership cost of a diesel is worthwhile in my situation.

I think that's a good decision. The maintenance cost of a 6.0 is about as cheap as it gets. And, a gasser is great for short trips and daily driver type stuff. Like you said, your 6.0 is pulling that camper just fine. It's made to kick down a couple gears and turn some RPM on hills. You won't hurt it.  

In addition, there's a major increase in up-front cost with a diesel. Although many diesel guys brag about the higher resale value, they're also paying around 10k more up front. I like to pay off my loans early, and it would take quite a while longer to pay off that extra 10 grand.   

• Like 3

Well I went from an 07 2500 gas to a 2017 diesel - part due to a want  and the fact that I was moving up to a larger TT and looking to do more traveling in the next few years. I will be retiring at the end of next year and plan on doing longer trips. Currently it is a daily driver that sees about 20mi a day and does towing duty on the weekends. Even on the daily grind it gets better fuel mileage than the gasser did - I am talking almost double - not to mention on the hy. I average 13 city and 24hy and about 14 towing. I have way more power to climb hills no more screaming at 3500+ in 4th - it is like 1600 in 5th. In two and a half years I have used my two free oil changes and purchased 2 - usually around 100.00 at the local dealer. Last time I also needed DEF - let the dealer do it cost me 46.00 - never again.  local store had Blue DEF for 12.00/ 2.5gal jug (need to watch the date but still). I have not looked at this from a cost/mile aspect - I will be comparing notes with my friend who just bought a 3500 Gasser and a TT similar to mine - he just got back from a 5k mi trip from OR to UT, CO, WY, SD and then back to Portland OR. We will be camping with them later in Sept and will get to compare notes. 

My buddy got wound up in the status symbol thing...paid the extra ~10k for the diesel option...of course he had to have the Denali trim...doesn't even own a trailer LOL.

Most he's ever hauled in the bed was a few mountain bikes.

His money though.  He's happy is all that matters

I went with the diesel after the same back and forth... yes more expensive blah blah. im happy with the decision. i drive it for business 2 days a week maybe 50 miles pulling about 5k and then couple weekend days a month pulling the 14k-15k boat maybe 10 miles round trip from home to the launch. 68,000 miles and 0 issues with emissions 

I was debating the same thing last year. We decided to get another bumper pull travel trailer but needed to upgrade out tow vehicle from a half ton. We had a diesel a few years ago to pull a travel trailer, it rhymes with Mummins, but I never actually used it for its intended purpose. We only tow 5 times a year at best. That truck seemed like it was always in the shop with emission problems. Maybe it was because I used it as a city daily driver in the Arctic and only for a few miles per day, or maybe we had a problem child. All I know is that when we were looking at Chevy's last summer, we decided to go with gas. Yeah the diesel would pull our trailer better, yeah we would get better MPG's towing, but for the extra 10 grand just for the motor, I can buy a heck of a lot of tanks of gas. Over 100 as a matter of fact when I did the math.  We may not be the first ones over the mountain to the campsite, but I  never have to add DEF, never have to regen, and the maintenance cost is lower. If I was towing a lot, or even drove more, maybe diesel would be more appealing but I'll keep my high revving gasser because it does the job I'm asking it to do. 

• Thanks 1