About to buy a 2019 SLT - couple of questions.....

1) The truck I want was made in Mexico.  It this a problem?  It seems that most of the SLT's in my area are from Mexico for some reason.

2) The 3.23 rear end...how come GM trucks have such a low ratio, while the preferred with a Ford with a V8 seems to be a 3.73?  

3) X-31 or not?  I'm looking at a Cardinal Red Premium Plus with X-31 and Sunroof.  I like the X31 because of the dual exhaust.

4) Will I hate the 5.3L V8 coming from a Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi?  I'm trading my 2019 RAM 1500 for this (don't ask...horrible dealer experience)

1) About 50/50 split US / MX on crew cabs. I wouldn’t worry about it.

2) It’s more or less made up for in the transmission gearing, but it’s just the way GM is...

3) Yes, not only for the dual exhaust, but the two speed transfer case. X31 is a must on the 5.3 4x4 trucks, IMO. Even if you don’t need it.

4) No, you won’t hate it. It’ll be a bit less potent than the Hemi, but it’s also tugging a lot less weight around, and will be much better on gas. You could also at least entertain driving one with the 6.2, which would leave the Ram for dead in every way.

And don’t worry, I won’t ask why anyone trades in a Ram, the reasons are often pretty obvious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1) About 50/50 split US / MX on crew cabs. I wouldn’t worry about it.
2) It’s more or less made up for in the transmission gearing, but it’s just the way GM is...
3) Yes, not only for the dual exhaust, but the two speed transfer case. X31 is a must on the 5.3 4x4 trucks, IMO. Even if you don’t need it.
4) No, you won’t hate it. It’ll be a bit less potent than the Hemi, but it’s also tugging a lot less weight around, and will be much better on gas. You could also at least entertain driving one with the 6.2, which would leave the Ram for dead in every way.

And don’t worry, I won’t ask why anyone trades in a Ram, the reasons are often pretty obvious.

My dad has a ‘19 Denali Ultimate with a 6.2. It’s awesome, but I can’t find an SLT around with a 6.2 and can’t get an AT4 down to where I need it to be. Does the 5.3 sound decent with an exhaust? My Hemi sounds great and so does the 6.2.

I drove an F-150 Ecoboost which was a blast, but it was coming our way too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5.3 sounds just as good to my ears. Depending upon how far you’re willing to travel, there’s a couple GMC dealers around like Laura, who typically have virtually unbeatable prices and a ton of the 6.2 SLTs in stock. Might be worth the trip if you can get more for less...

This is true, but in terms of reliability it should be an upgrade. My truck has spend 43 days in service since I got it in December. So all I’m left with is Ford and GM. At this point I don’t believe a RAM will last as long as a GM or Ford based on how my experience has gone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Moend said:

What I would look more for is the interior. Coming from 19 ram to gm. You are downgrading. Just something to think about.

Depends on taste and what you want out of a truck. I looked at the new rams and while the interior is nice it is way too busy and fancy for what i need or want out of my truck. I like a little more simplicity. 

2 hours ago, fotomatt1 said:

This is true, but in terms of reliability it should be an upgrade. My truck has spend 43 days in service since I got it in December. So all I’m left with is Ford and GM. At this point I don’t believe a RAM will last as long as a GM or Ford based on how my experience has gone.

If you allowed a truck to be in shop for 43 days and didn’t call the BBB , then you should also blame yourself.  No disrespect in anyway to you but your doing your money a disservice. 

Also do your research all trucks have issues. My 14 Sierra was a lemon( got every dime including my down back ) my 16 Sierra had many issues and my 19 has already leaked head liner and had a few electrical issues. 

• Sad 1