Swolen nuts?

snox700

Lug nuts, that is...

I've gone through almost a wheels' worth of lug nuts on my 2016 F-150 due to moisture getting behind the chrome plating and causing swelling, which eventually renders them deformed/unusable.

I'm close to jumping to a new LT TB.  Not a deal breaker by any means, but just curious:  Does GM use chrome-plated lug nuts like Ford?

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but in owning Chevy trucks since 1999 I have never had a rusted chrome lug nut and living in NJ we do get our fair share of salted roads during the winter months. 

18 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but in owning Chevy trucks since 1999 I have never had a rusted chrome lug nut and living in NJ we do get our fair share of salted roads during the winter months. 

Good to know.  I'm NH and winter is not kind to vehicles.

13 minutes ago, Smoothie said:

They are chrome plated as most are.

Thanks.  Seems like they may be a bit better quality than Ford from (lack of) search results.

5 minutes ago, snox700 said:

Good to know.  I'm NH and winter is not kind to vehicles.

Thanks.  Seems like they may be a bit better quality than Ford from (lack of) search results.

My parents moved to NH, MIrror Lake / Tuftonboro in 1998, Dad had Tahoe's until he passed in 2015 and I never noticed his lugs rusting. Also I drove up there many a time in and out of the snow so that didn't bother my lugs either. 

My 2012 has chrome wheels.

The lug nuts are chrome. They have a chrome metal cap over the lug nut.

Mine haven't rusted but some of the chrome caps have cracked.

Going to replace them with these soon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH1I320/?coliid=I20OSSAH49X3G7&colid=25MW9EWLWSL9A&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They are supposed to be good quality compared to others.

:) 

6 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

My 2012 has chrome wheels.

The lug nuts are chrome. They have a chrome metal cap over the lug nut.

Mine haven't rusted but some of the chrome caps have cracked.

Going to replace them with these soon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH1I320/?coliid=I20OSSAH49X3G7&colid=25MW9EWLWSL9A&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They are supposed to be good quality compared to others.

:) 

GM trucks have been using stainless capped lugs for several years now.  I don't recall what my '12 had but can attest '14 up are stainless capped zinc plated lugs. You won't have any rust problems.  2019's definitely aren't chrome.

16 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

They're Stainless capped not chrome.

7 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

GM trucks have been using stainless capped lugs for several years now.  I don't recall what my '12 had but can attest '14 up are stainless capped zinc plated lugs. You won't have any rust problems.  2019's definitely aren't chrome.

Even better! Thanks.