Exhaust tip removal DIY

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I feel like I am a pretty good backyard mechanic but after I get the torx screws out of the plastic liner, for the life of me. I cant release the 3 clips holding that piece in. Any particular technique to getting it out?

Ok, I feel like I am a pretty good backyard mechanic but after I get the torx screws out of the plastic liner, for the life of me. I cant release the 3 clips holding that piece in. Any particular technique to getting it out?

It was a pain but what I used was a trim tool and went underneath the truck and released each clip one by one by pushing down the tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking at reinstalling the factory tips and found the following part numbers:

11519375 (fender bolt) and 11548298 (exhaust heat shield u nut).

From the original post, I think I need 6 fender bolts and 3 U nuts.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by CrunchyBlack_386

On 8/29/2019 at 12:25 PM, PabloK said:

Work in progress- pics and better detail added this afternoon

Just high level notes so I don’t forgot my write up...

Main goal: Remove plastic footwell in each corner of rear bumper to easily access the 3 bolts holding the exhaust tips

1. Remove three 7mm screws on inside of bumper

e9f98fcfcbf076530699fc36e2cd01e2.plist

2. With trim tool, lift up and remove the outside tread pad on the bottom of the footwell.

e448ab4991238a9e054fbab916e104d3.jpg

3. Remove the five T-15 screws holding the footwell liner to the bumper frame.

b255298a9381f03311b8c4d20c0f3f9f.jpga00d7b2cde623fef0aff9a957ce95295.jpg

4. (Hardest part) pull out plastic wells by releasing the 3 plastic clips holding the trim to bumper.

Once they are out it’s three 10mm bolts that hold the tip in.

fbb3371ec578595e3576b1d4b0a76660.jpg

db65d7bc6999e879303cfd3bf9447a1e.jpg

Enjoy! 336a265d3cedc0032a5009572adb4b38.jpg

Do you have pictures of the hardware that attached the exhaust tips to the bumper? It looks like three bolts and one u clip per tip. Any help is appreciated as I am trying to order these parts to install my tips back on.

Do you have pictures of the hardware that attached the exhaust tips to the bumper? It looks like three bolts and one u clip per tip. Any help is appreciated as I am trying to order these parts to install my tips back on.

f7b45437732c511ec6389ec088499d84.jpg

39cbf557820eef2ef3d87b6d5a2b2b45.jpg

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/2019/chevrolet/silverado-1500/lt-trail-boss-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/exhaust-system-cat/exhaust-components-scat

37 minutes ago, RadoPhan said:

Thanks, this is where I got the parts from on my earlier post, but it doesn’t show how many are need per exhaust tip or what they call a heat shield.

For those who took off the tip, I was wondering how many bolts and U-clips were used. I looked at the first page and I think it is three bolts and one u clip, but not 100% sure

Thanks, this is where I got the parts from on my earlier post, but it doesn’t show how many are need per exhaust tip or what they call a heat shield.

For those who took off the tip, I was wondering how many bolts and U-clips were used. I looked at the first page and I think it is three bolts and one u clip, but not 100% sure

3 of each per side, so 6 total of u clips and bolts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

You aren’t reusing the hardware?

Ryan B.

I don’t have the original hardware unfortunately. The truck had different exhaust tips when I purchased it. I bought the factory tips and just got them back from powder coating today.

I got everything disassembled, but I am not sure how the u clips go on. Do they go on the exhaust tip or did you clip them to the bumper?

I don’t have the original hardware unfortunately. The truck had different exhaust tips when I purchased it. I bought the factory tips and just got them back from powder coating today.

I got everything disassembled, but I am not sure how the u clips go on. Do they go on the exhaust tip or did you clip them to the bumper?

Clip them on the bumper

Edit: on the exhaust tips, pic on post below

• Thanks 1

Thanks! What about that tab at the top of the exhaust tip, is a u clip needed there? The diagram on GM parts doesn’t help much.

Apologies, I meant all of the clips go on the exhaust tips. Insert the clips in this direction with the threaded part facing down for the two sideways one and then facing towards the back of the truck for the top one. 4e66d629adb6f6399cfe11d1cfc18a33.jpg

11 minutes ago, RadoPhan said:

Apologies, I meant all of the clips go on the exhaust tips. Insert the clips in this direction with the threaded part facing down for the two sideways one and then facing towards the back of the truck for the top one. 4e66d629adb6f6399cfe11d1cfc18a33.jpg

Perfect, thanks!