Exhaust tip removal DIY

I’ve had mine done since October ‘19 and have not had any issues thus far. Now, I don’t drive my truck a ton and keep it near spotless all the time.

The ID where the exhaust hits it has dulled from the carbon but the rest is still brand new looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are now powder coated. The chrome just didn't seem to belong on my truck. I'm pretty happy with the result. Subtle change, probably not for everyone. 

Screenshot_20200327-165823_Gallery.jpg

Edited by AKinlaw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AKinlaw said:

Mine are now powder coated. The chrome just didn't seem to belong on my truck. I'm pretty happy with the result. Subtle change, probably not for everyone. 

Screenshot_20200327-165823_Gallery.jpg

I like that a lot! Wish it was a full shot of the rear so I could see both of them. Currently the only chrome on my TB is the tips. I didn’t want to black them out because the bumper is already black so I may do this instead.
Do you think the powder coating is necessary? I was thinking of sanding them down, coating in zinc, then some good flat spray paint. 

Thanks. IDK if powder coating is necessary.

I came across a powder coating company on ebay, sent them my paint code, and they took it from there. I sent them back my takeoffs for a partial refund. 4fbd73a66d67ffaa7c003dfe1832ea6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AKinlaw said:

I didn't think to take a good "before" pic, but I cobbled this together to give an idea of the difference. 3fa9e9984897d50885c8b0ccce0758c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks good. A little hard to tell from afar though. But it goes very well with the black bumper. 

AKinlaw

Any link to the Ebay seller where you got the tips powder coated? Did you supply the tips or did they do it all? My truck is same color and love have they look.

MaxZ71

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-Silverado-Sierra-Exhaust-Tips-Satin-Silver-Metallic-OEM/254538055252?hash=item3b43a67e54:g:N0YAAOSwHQReaXxj

That's a link to the exact item. He sent me a coated set of takeoffs and then when my chrome ones were removed I sent them to him for a partial credit.

You can see they are even using my truck photos on their ad now (with my permission of course). Good luck!

ETA: I should mention too, they were great to work with. Fast shipping, and gave me the $50 refund the same day my takeoffs arrived at their shop. 

Edited by AKinlaw
  • Like 1

MaxZ71

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-Silverado-Sierra-Exhaust-Tips-Satin-Silver-Metallic-OEM/254538055252?hash=item3b43a67e54:g:N0YAAOSwHQReaXxj

That's a link to the exact item. He sent me a coated set of takeoffs and then when my chrome ones were removed I sent them to him for a partial credit.

You can see they are even using my truck photos on their ad now (with my permission of course). Good luck!

ETA: I should mention too, they were great to work with. Fast shipping, and gave me the $50 refund the same day my takeoffs arrived at their shop. 

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!! Now to decide on matte or gloss black on my gloss black bumper [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just took mine off in about 10 minutes without removing the bumper step. The key was using an air ratchet with 10mm socket. Has anyone sprayed there own with high temp gloss black paint? Im going to sandblast the chrome off first. Then I’m going to use Rustoleum high temp primer and then use Rustoleum high temp gloss black spray paint.