Exhaust tip removal DIY

Work in progress- pics and better detail added this afternoon

Just high level notes so I don’t forgot my write up...

Main goal: Remove plastic footwell in each corner of rear bumper to easily access the 3 bolts holding the exhaust tips

1. Remove three 7mm screws on inside of bumper

e9f98fcfcbf076530699fc36e2cd01e2.plist

2. With trim tool, lift up and remove the outside tread pad on the bottom of the footwell.

e448ab4991238a9e054fbab916e104d3.jpg

3. Remove the five T-15 screws holding the footwell liner to the bumper frame.

b255298a9381f03311b8c4d20c0f3f9f.jpga00d7b2cde623fef0aff9a957ce95295.jpg

4. (Hardest part) pull out plastic wells by releasing the 3 plastic clips holding the trim to bumper.

Once they are out it’s three 10mm bolts that hold the tip in.

fbb3371ec578595e3576b1d4b0a76660.jpg

db65d7bc6999e879303cfd3bf9447a1e.jpg

Enjoy! 336a265d3cedc0032a5009572adb4b38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by txab
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

This is the method I used to get to mine, only way i could get to those two top bolts with the tools i have.

Note that my truck had a sensor connected to the back of the plastic foot hole cover. I had to disconnect that before it would come out.

Good write up!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is the method I used to get to mine, only way i could get to those two top bolts with the tools i have.

Note that my truck had a sensor connected to the back of the plastic foot hole cover. I had to disconnect that before it would come out.

Good write up!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks

yes that’s step 1: remove three 7mm bolts.. still working on adding pics and more detail...

Removing the bolts is one hurdle... getting them back in is also a bitch

33 minutes ago, laqualo said:

I just picked up a 2019 and want to get the duel tips ceramic coated  . Can i still drive the truck with the tips removed while there being coated ?

yes, the tips are there for looks only.  Mine are currently off and will be for about 3 weeks, I am getting mine hydro dipped.

yes, the tips are there for looks only.  Mine are currently off and will be for about 3 weeks, I am getting mine hydro dipped.

What is hydro dipping?

I was able to score a 2nd set on eBay.. link below

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123739909295

4 hours ago, PabloK said:

What is hydro dipping?

Simply put, hydro dipping is transferring graphic films onto a substrate (painted or primed) by means of floating the graphics on the surface of the water then dipping the substrate into the water through the graphics. The graphics wrap around the substrate and stick to it. That’s how the wood grain looking plastic was done in most of the GM trucks.

Edited by Wheelguy
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, PabloK said:

Work in progress- pics and better detail added this afternoon

Just high level notes so I don’t forgot my write up...

Main goal: Remove plastic footwell in each corner of rear bumper to easily access the 3 bolts holding the exhaust tips

1. Remove three 7mm screws on inside of bumper

2. With trim tool, lift up and remove the outside tread pad on the bottom of the footwell.

e448ab4991238a9e054fbab916e104d3.jpg

3. Remove the five T-15 screws holding the footwell liner to the bumper frame.

b255298a9381f03311b8c4d20c0f3f9f.jpga00d7b2cde623fef0aff9a957ce95295.jpg

4. (Hardest part) pull out plastic wells by releasing the 3 plastic clips holding the trim to bumper.

Once they are out it’s three 10mm bolts that hold the tip in.

fbb3371ec578595e3576b1d4b0a76660.jpg

db65d7bc6999e879303cfd3bf9447a1e.jpg

Enjoy! 336a265d3cedc0032a5009572adb4b38.jpg

I have been growling at these exhaust tips since April. Finding an easy way to get them off has ended in frustration at least 4 times... No more!!!! They are off and will be dropped at the powder coater on Tuesday. This right up was awesome!!!! It takes about 10 minutes on each side with an air ratchet. Thank You for the right up!!!!!!!!

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:50 PM, Andy Chabot said:

I have been growling at these exhaust tips since April. Finding an easy way to get them off has ended in frustration at least 4 times... No more!!!! They are off and will be dropped at the powder coater on Tuesday. This right up was awesome!!!! It takes about 10 minutes on each side with an air ratchet. Thank You for the right up!!!!!!!!

Andy

glad i could help... i agree it's a pain in the ass design....  took me a while to figure out what i was doing.

• Like 1

I think the CarbonPro version of the 2020 AT4  comes with black tips. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy those updated tips when the part numbers become available rather than coating the 19 ones. 
 2020_at4_tips.png.e445680e9eec43c4c79822186de9b92d.png

The 2019 chrome ones are $175 each Msrp..

I found a set of factory takeoffs on eBay for $90.

Dropping them off at powder coater... $20 eaxh..

That was my plan of attack

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PabloK said:

The 2019 chrome ones are $175 each Msrp..

I found a set of factory takeoffs on eBay for $90.

Dropping them off at powder coater... $20 eaxh..

That was my plan of attack

Wow, didn't think they were that expensive from factory. In that case, your approach makes sense. 

On a slightly tangential question, anyone know how to search for the part#s for our truck without taking it off the truck to see? When i had my Cadillac, i could browse it's part#s on gmpartsdirect... etc. I can't seem to do that for our trucks. You can only browse accessories. 

Wow, didn't think they were that expensive from factory. In that case, your approach makes sense. 

On a slightly tangential question, anyone know how to search for the part#s for our truck without taking it off the truck to see? When i had my Cadillac, i could browse it's part#s on gmpartsdirect... etc. I can't seem to do that for our trucks. You can only browse accessories. 

The market will be flush with chrome factory tips I’ll prob sell my extra set here shortly for like $50.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123739908154

$50 each

They are chrome.. they look black in the add

This is the guy I bought from

• Thanks 1