10 speed Allison Transmission

2 hours ago, Lfod1836 said:

I believe I read or saw in a video somewhere that the HD's starts out in second gear when not under load. This prevents tire spin and excessive wear.

It starts in 2nd (per my iDash gauge) unless the tow haul mode is engaged or M1 is selected. Starting in 2nd doesnt bother me from a stop. I do feel it is a bit slugglish from a rolling stop, like a slow yield or trying to cross traffic in a hurry.

Edited by sdelam

• 7 months later...

I'm new to this forum and am respectfully requesting some help.  For a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD with the 6.6 liter Duramax diesel engine and the Allison branded 10 speed transmission 10L1000, does anyone have a factory torque spec for the 16 bolts that fasten the transmission oil pan to the transmission case?

Edited by Montana Skies

• 3 weeks later...
I called the dealer about the hard shift from highway speed to a stop, and the service rep told me this was completely normal for this transmission.  He said there was nothing they could do, and it will probably go away after a few thousand miles.

Not sure if I believe him, but maybe I'll give this truck another couple of months before I start looking at other dealers.

Doesn’t sound right. Have 12k miles on my truck. Probably 3/4 of that towing. Never experienced what you’re describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a 2020 GM duramax, 2351 kms and my transmission is shot, has to be replaced. Dealer advised GM will not let them diagnose the problem and a new transmission is being shipped. After doing a bit of research it appears these new 10 speeds have lots of issues, GM needs to step up. After spending almost $100k CAD ($74/ 75k USD) this is BS,  GM not only should offer to replace the tranny but should actually provide a new vehicle in my humble opinion. Most other industries provide replacement of their product with such major issues. Am really pissed off at at the moment. No wonder people buy Japanese/ Korean for their overall quality.

2 hours ago, CarlJ said:

Have a 2020 GM duramax, 2351 kms and my transmission is shot, has to be replaced. Dealer advised GM will not let them diagnose the problem and a new transmission is being shipped. After doing a bit of research it appears these new 10 speeds have lots of issues, GM needs to step up. After spending almost $100k CAD ($74/ 75k USD) this is BS,  GM not only should offer to replace the tranny but should actually provide a new vehicle in my humble opinion. Most other industries provide replacement of their product with such major issues. Am really pissed off at at the moment. No wonder people buy Japanese/ Korean for their overall quality.

Where are you hearing that they have a lot of problems with the new HD transmission? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second 2020 Silverado 2500. This first had a steering issue that I think was actually a faulty electronic power steering unit. It was bought Sept of 19. but it shifted like butter. My current '20 2500 drives like a dream.... except every 800mi or so, it will also lunge when shifting down to fist right before complete stop. I took it to dealer and they said there were no codes reported.  It seems like both issues I have had with both trucks started at about 1500mi

• 1 year later...

Ford developed the 10 speed that is used in the 1/2 tons

As I understand it each uses there own transmission control. 

(as published in the media, they also share a gm developed 9 speed fwd trans)

Each has their own HD transmission. 

GM builds theirs.

In media video introduction they discussed in interaction with allison during development  

Pics of the HD pickup transmissions:

cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

Ford HD 10 speed

F15-trans-2.jpg

GM HD 10 speed

GM/Ford 10 speed 

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...

10 speed wasn’t designed by GM and Allison. Joint effort with Ford, GM and Zed F. Zed F gearbox. Ford designed theirs for their trucks an GM designed theirs. Allison did do testing on them, but it already was a done deal. 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, KennyL said:

10 speed wasn’t designed by GM and Allison. Joint effort with Ford, GM and Zed F. Zed F gearbox. Ford designed theirs for their trucks an GM designed theirs. Allison did do testing on them, but it already was a done deal. 

This is not true.  Ford and GM initially worked together on HD trans.  They decided not to continue the relationship and GM worked with Allison to complete the project.  I'm not sure where ZF part is coming from.  ZF has never been involved with GM.

#iworkforGM

On 12/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, KennyL said:

Yea no, ZF was not involved.