10 speed Allison Transmission

Purchase two brand new Denali trucks with the 10-speed transmission diesel motors and having a problem with hard shifting come especially as ID accelerate to a stop and the truck lunges forward and if I'm not careful feel like I could hit somebody in a crosswalk. I know some of these trucks take time to learn owner's shifting habits but seems to be a little extreme and worried about taking it into the dealer to be told that the off-road fuel might have done this do to my other vehicle losing warranty because the dealership said I had off-road fuel in the truck which I've been told by the EPA doesn't even exist anymore since 2012 I know it's a little bit of a sarcastic comment but has anybody had problems with lunging

Someone said in another thread that these are not Allison transmissions.. Something about them being jointly designed/manufactured by Ford and GM. 

I believe they were talking about the gas 1500’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transmission for the HD's was co-developed by GM and Allison (built to Allison specs) but it is built by GM. It says Allison because it meets Allison specs and they passed their testing. Therefore officially, according to GM, it is an 'Allison branded 10-speed transmission'. 

The 10-speed for the 1500 was a co-development between GM and Ford.

• Like 3

The transmission for the HD's was co-developed by GM and Allison (built to Allison specs) but it is built by GM. It says Allison because it meets Allison specs and they passed their testing. Therefore officially, according to GM, it is an 'Allison branded 10-speed transmission'. 

Wonder what country they were built in. I’m sure it’s cheaper for greedy GM to build it using their 3rd world child sweat shops than Allison to build their own.

• Like 1

Mine is shifting perfectly.

As for the off-road fuel, it has red dye to identify it. It is exactly the same fuel just has the red dye to identify off highway and the road taxes have not been paid.

Commercial vehicles can be fined for using it, but it perfectly fine for the engine.

The 10 spd in the 1500 has nothing in common with the 10 spd behind the Duramax

Edited by powerhaulic
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, TXGREEK said:

Wonder what country they were built in. I’m sure it’s cheaper for greedy GM to build it using their 3rd world child sweat shops than Allison to build their own.

'murica. 

Same as previous generation. But it's in a different GM plant. (Flint now) toledo

Guess that makes the shipping cost less than before.

Edited by redwngr

Has anyone else felt that the truck with the ten speed coasts a lot easier? My 2016 LML with six speed would slow down much faster without brake. I now need to apply brake much more when approaching stopped traffic or stop sign. Not all bad just different than what I’m used to. Exhaust brake doesn’t seem to affect it either.   

28 minutes ago, dlockwood26 said:

Has anyone else felt that the truck with the ten speed coasts a lot easier? My 2016 LML with six speed would slow down much faster without brake. I now need to apply brake much more when approaching stopped traffic or stop sign. Not all bad just different than what I’m used to. Exhaust brake doesn’t seem to affect it either.   

Yes I feel like it takes a little longer to slow down if the brakes aren't applied.  My 2016 almost always seemed like it was one gear too low while coasting.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:47 PM, ApertureX said:

Well that's a relief! 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, redwngr said:

'murica. 

Same as previous generation. But it's in a different GM plant. (Flint now) 

Guess that makes the shipping cost less than before.

A1000 6sp was built in gm plant in Maryland.  10sp is being built in gm plant in Toledo, Ohio.

44 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

A1000 6sp was built in gm plant in Maryland.  10sp is being built in gm plant in Toledo, Ohio.

Thanks!

Are they building the 10 speed for the 1500 in Romulus?

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, dlockwood26 said:

I believe what you are experiencing on the slow down is due to the 3.73 gears in the differential where as the 2020 is equipped with 3.42 gears.  Big difference.