My Truck is Possessed

typ0

I took a ride over the weekend and stopped out in the boonies to eat. While stopped I start to hear faint music and think it must be a buggy coming down the road blasting their stereo. Didn't think much of it. But it doesn't get closer, or further away. I lean over and put my ear against the door speaker and it's coming from my truck. I look at the dash and it is black, no power. I pull my keys out of my pocket and I'm looking at the dash with no power, the drivers side door is open, my keys are in my hand and the stereo is faintly playing a song. There is no radio reception where I was, I don't have XM radio, and I don't have the song that was playing with me. About a minute later it stops.

I can't think of how this could be possible. Unless someone has a better solution from this world, I'm going with it's possessed.

Demonic possession probably isn't covered under the warranty. Maybe I could of had it exorcised on GM's dime.

That's a great suggestion. I don't think so, but hard to say for sure. I had thought of maybe a skip, but I think that would be too weak with the truck off.

I looked at the map and there is a 12,383 ft mountain a few miles away but they usually don't put radio stations that high. I might be back in that area in a week or two. I'll try the radio and see if I get any strong stations. 

I'd be real surprised if I picked up FM, or anything with it off. But it did pick up something once, so who knows. It will be difficult to scan for channels though. :)

A few years ago, my wife drove my truck to work while I changed oil in her car. I met her and another lady she works with for lunch to swap vehicles. When we came out from lunch I walked up to my truck and music was still playing. The doors were locked and I had the keys in my pocket. I have no idea how it happened that music still was playing and it has never happened again, as far as I know.

That's a great suggestion. I don't think so, but hard to say for sure. I had thought of maybe a skip, but I think that would be too weak with the truck off.

I looked at the map and there is a 12,383 ft mountain a few miles away but they usually don't put radio stations that high. I might be back in that area in a week or two. I'll try the radio and see if I get any strong stations. 

I'd be real surprised if I picked up FM, or anything with it off. But it did pick up something once, so who knows. It will be difficult to scan for channels though. [emoji4]

You also mentioned you were in the boonies. I live very close to boonie area, and CB is very much alive here, and on my highway commute.

Some of those truckers are using biiiiiiiig amplifiers, that signal will bleed into anything and come out of your speakers if you aren't actively using them. It's common for someone to play most if not all of a song to get attention.

I don't use an amplifier, but instead a big 55" whip on the roof. Range is outright impressive on that with a standard 4 watt radio and even further on sideband. But it's clearly intended for the amplifier crowd, as it's rated for 3500 watts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Short story of it is this. Your truck isn't possessed. RF interference and coupling onto unshielded conductors is a funny thing.

Radio stations are given limits on transmit power by the FCC, but that doesn't always mean they abide by it. There are also plenty of "pirate" radio stations run from personal property.

It causes anomalies as you describe, which is why the FCC tries to control it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I took Christine our for a ride on Friday the 13th and the theme from Poltergeist started playing.... 

Nah, I'm kidding. I did take it back to the same spot and there are no AM or FM radio stations there as I stated in my first post. I did want to double check and make sure that was the case. 

In my previous experiences with any type of bleed through I was very close to a transmitter with the electronics on. Having bleed through with the truck off in an area that doesn't pick up radio stations with the radio on  doesn't seem likely to me. Maybe the atmosphere can produce a hot spot that would be strong enough to pick up with the power off, but I don't know if that is even a possibility. 

Not a big surprise really, I've had things that were possessed before. First it was the wife, then the house, now a truck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

You’re onstar- GM listening device was sending subliminal messages to you. Brainwashing you towards your next GM purchase.emoji83.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days, I would not be surprised. They must have turned it up a little too loud.

• Like 1

There's another thread in this forum about their radios staying on after they turn the truck off, pull the key, and open the driver's door.  I've had it happen, and I've had the opposite happen, didn't remote start my truck, and shortly after I opened the driver's door, the radio was playing.  It even did it after remote starting the truck.  But as for the faint sound coming through, that's a first.  I know a guy, back home, if he turned on his CB amplifier(s), his transmissions would bleed through TV, home stereos, and even the sound system in the church 2.5 blocks away (their wireless mics were operating about the same frequency that he was using). 

Where is this place? 

I bought this apartment building as investment property, while cleaning out the basement found a box with bunch of wires and headphones that get signal from a base station that you hook to a tv or radio.

I turned on the headphone, there were still batteries in it and it was playing like 50s music but creepy sounding 50s music. I turned them off and basically left lol

Another day i tried again and same. The base station isnt hooked up, basically just a wireless old headphone.. still playing the same style music. I threw the entire box of wires and such out right away.

Dont need that in my life ?