Rear leaf spring clunk

I have a 2017 Sierra. There is a clunking in the rear end I've narrowed it down to the band clamps on the driver side leaf spring are loose so the leafs move and clunk when driving.

Anyone have the same issue?

Should warranty cover this or a TSB?

I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

I also have a 2017 and get the same banging or clunking as you. There are 3 TSB's for this well known issue. First one says to clean and lube the leafs, second one says to tighten the U bolts, third is replacement. I'm currently waiting for both sets of leaf springs to arrive for my truck that has the high mileage of 15k.

I also have a 2017 and get the same banging or clunking as you. There are 3 TSB's for this well known issue. First one says to clean and lube the leafs, second one says to tighten the U bolts, third is replacement. I'm currently waiting for both sets of leaf springs to arrive for my truck that has the high mileage of 15k.
How many times have you had your truck in for this issue for them to agree to replacement?
I'm bringing mine in to the dealer for the first time, but I am not going to keep going back either they replace them the first time or I'm going to a spring shop and I'll pay to have have it fixed.

I have this issue too. I'm pretty sure anyone with a 1500 who gets their truck dirty has this issue. Its a design issue with the OEM leaf springs. Fleet truck owners don't really care if the truck makes noise, so neither does GM since fleet trucks consist of most of their sales. The only people buying GM half-tonnes privately are the poor folks (like me) who haven't figured out that GM is not even remotely close to the same company they were 15 years ago.

The noise is caused by dirt getting in between your leaf springs. Its like this in all the K2 series trucks. There is no permanent solution other than to replace the springs with aftermarket.

Some folks are just power-washing the springs on a regular basis. Others are sticking rubber sheets or bicycle tire inner-tube chunks between the leafs. Some have had luck with aftermarket silicone lube spray. A lot of folks just live with it.

The TSB that GM has is a low-cost band-aid to get you to go away until the warranty expires. The noise will always come back. In the 2019s, GM replaced the leaf springs with springs made from composite, finally catching up to what Ford and Ram started doing in the mid 2000's.

For the K2 series, they have your money already so they don't care.

If it bothers you, and you can't afford aftermarket springs, something like this is your best solution.

So got the truck back from the dealer they of course cleaned and greased between leafs. And they changed the insulator pads between all the leafs. Driving home there is no clunking so we will see only time will tell. The manager also said if the clunking returns they will change both leaf sets under warranty. Hopefully he keeps his word.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:37 PM, Eddie 70 said:

My 2014 was doing it and I did the rubber pads and bicycle inner tube fix. Been quite as a field mouse since.

large.20190914_100944.jpg.9954d944c572ff29c8d7ad7bf6573acc.jpg

How did you install? Did you take apart the springs to install that or simply jack up the truck and shove it in there?