Rear leaf spring clunk

im going to do this as soon as it cools off some, i was hoping the dealership would get them changed out if i complained enough. im taking my truck back to the dealership every oil change to complain about the leaf springs and this horrible 8psd transmission. other than those two hunks of chit i like my truck. i wish i would have ordered a 6.2 and 10 spd but ill run this one until its almost out of warranty and trade it in. maybe by then they will figure something out. I loved my 2008 Seirra Denali 270,000 trouble free miles, so im not ready to give up on GM yet because the other trucks are fugly compared to the GM trucks...yet

5 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

How did you install? Did you take apart the springs to install that or simply jack up the truck and shove it in there?

What I did was place a floor jack on the frame just in front of the rear wheel and jack the truck up. This will spread the leaves out.  Taking the wheel off will make it easy to slide your rubber pieces in between the leaves. I slid each piece of inner tube as far forward as I could. Folded the excess over and used a tie wrap to hold it in place. I bought the biggest inner tube they sell at walmart. Cut the valve out. Held the ends of the tube up in one hand and cut it in half. Then cut each half in two again so I wound up with 4 approximately equal parts.

• 4 years later...

Bought a 1/8 inch recycled rubber sheet from Amazon for less than $3 and cut into strips as wide as the leaf springs. Slid into the gap and pried open the leaf to get the rubber strip closest to  connection to the other leaf.  Zip tied the strip to the spring and it was like a light switch.  No noise. No clunk.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...