New owner

Just bought a 2014 Silverado double cab LT 4x2 with the 4.3.  92,000 miles, one owner, clean Carfax.  Looks like all service has been kept up, and the dealer serviced and prepped it before drive out.  Was going to have the brakes checked and maybe run a can of Seafoam or injector cleaner through a tank of gas.  If the truck is running fine, should I drive it for a bit then do the coolant, rear diff, and transmission fluid and the next oil change?  Anything else? 

My my first impression of the 4.3 after driving a 365hp EcoBoost and 395hp Coyote for the past two trucks is actually really positive.  I don’t tow anything more than a 4 wheeler, and I like that the motor makes torque at lower RPM.  The frustrating thing about the Coyote engine is that it doesn’t make much torque until it’s revved higher than most normal driving situations require.  I think this truck will work good for our family, so I want to keep the maintenance preventative instead of reactive, so any advice would be appreciated.  Financially, we need the truck to last 5 years and about 100-120k miles, though I will drive it until death do us part if it’s willing to keep going after that.  

2 hours ago, Txbluelacy said:

Just bought a 2014 Silverado double cab LT 4x2 with the 4.3.  92,000 miles, one owner, clean Carfax.  Looks like all service has been kept up, and the dealer serviced and prepped it before drive out.  Was going to have the brakes checked and maybe run a can of Seafoam or injector cleaner through a tank of gas.  If the truck is running fine, should I drive it for a bit then do the coolant, rear diff, and transmission fluid and the next oil change?  Anything else? 

My my first impression of the 4.3 after driving a 365hp EcoBoost and 395hp Coyote for the past two trucks is actually really positive.  I don’t tow anything more than a 4 wheeler, and I like that the motor makes torque at lower RPM.  The frustrating thing about the Coyote engine is that it doesn’t make much torque until it’s revved higher than most normal driving situations require.  I think this truck will work good for our family, so I want to keep the maintenance preventative instead of reactive, so any advice would be appreciated.  Financially, we need the truck to last 5 years and about 100-120k miles, though I will drive it until death do us part if it’s willing to keep going after that.  

Welcome to site, and Congratulations on your new to you truck!!!

When in doubt, change the fluids, it will help you sleep better knowing everything is fresh.

You may not have the power of those ford engines, but at least you won’t have to deal with oil consumption or timing chain problems. Timing set rebuild on a Ford is something I hope to never have to do again. 

I have a 5.3 because I hate 90* V6s and need more power than they offer, but they are a good engine. Grumpy Bear may chime in, he’s got one and is a fan IIRC. 

As stated, keep fresh fluids in it all around and it’ll last well past your mileage goal, mine for all vehicles is 300k. 

Edited by dukedkt442

2 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Shoulda kept the Ecoboost but welcome anyway

My EcoBoost leaked coolant at the turbos, and the truck chewed through a rear differential in less than 75k miles, without towing anything other than a 4 wheeler on a 5x10 trailer.  It just wasn’t a good truck.  I’m not dogging the EcoBoost.  Both the 2.7 and 3.5 are generally good motors.  

Congratulations on our new truck and welcome to this forum.  The new 4.3  V6 (2014+) is an outstanding engine with ample power.  Its bigger brothers (5.3 & 6.2) have even more power  and are also excellent choices.  My truck is a little heavier than yours (4X4 Crew Cab) and frequently pulls a travel trailer.  The only time that I would have preferred the bigger engine was when I was considering a trailer that exceeded my towing capacity of 7,000 lbs.  Fortunately,  the new trailer we ended up purchasing came with a GVWR of 7k lbs.  After 4 years of driving this truck daily, I've never encountered a situation when I needed more power.