Is a blown head gasket common on 6.6 Duramax?

lelenb

I just bought a new to me 2014 GMC 2500 HD Denali and I got a really good deal on it because my better half works at my local Chevrolet dealer and it has 142k miles on it.  The truck blew a head gasket on a family vacation and they chose to trade it in on a new truck to continue their vacation.  The truck has been deleted, EGR and DPF, and it has 142K mostly highway miles on it.  Other than the delete everything else is stock and it runs fantastic and I live in Idaho so I don't have emissions testing.  The mechanics at the dealership said the truck was in great shape and that I should get it.  I got a print out of the repair and the parts used on the repair is three pages long and it also has quite a few hours of labor in it and it would probably cost $5k for the repair.  The truck is fast, amazingly clean inside and outside, and under the hood is immaculate and I want to love the truck but I have a nagging fear of high cost repairs. 

Is a blown head gasket a common problem on the 6.6 Duramax with stock boost? 

Was more common on the 04.5 - 07.5 models, but is not unheard of on other years, including the 14.  Might go poke around on duramaxforum.com as there are a few more folks over there with setups like what you have. 

Edited by Colossus