Cooling your engine down with fans

bradleyheathhays

This may sound like a stupid question, as I'm prone to ask sometimes. But...I drive a '96 Cherokee with the inline 4.0 non-interference engine and it doesn't like driving in the heat so much. Since I'm a car down right now I'm driving it a LOT more than I used to. After a lot of driving in this hot weather it starts slower, but still starts and runs ok.

So to help it out I've been raising the hood and putting 2 box fans right on top of the engine to help it cool. I hadn't thought about it but my Mom asked if cooling it down too quickly could be bad for the engine. And since I don't know I thought I'd ask here.

Any harm in using my method to cool an engine down much more quickly than normal?

I'm impressed with your mother!   I agree that the fans won't cause harm, but I question the need.  Why is the vehicle over-heating?  When the theory is that the engine heat is preventing the starter from working,  and you don't know why, take it to a mechanic.  I appreciate that there is a cost factor but I would be worried that the subsequent problems will only be worse!