Power Steering Fluid Cooler

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab 4.3l 5-speed stick, owned it since new and won’t give it up until they pry my hands of the wheel.

Obvious power steering leak, a real gusher, but exactly where not so obvious. After a couple rounds of degreasing the area I was able to tell the fluid was running out of the frame rail. Took a bit to figure out the cooler is hidden inside the frame rail. No fluid leaks anywhere else, so it has to be the cooler I believe. Inquired with a GM dealer with VIN and they said that cooler (26046912) was discontinued years ago and does not show up in anybody’s inventory. Running tons of searches I am coming up with nothing that looks like it would tuck in there. Has anybody got a reasonable work around, replacement part number or a line on an aftermarket cooler? I have started the used and junk yard circuit as well. It’s not my daily driver anymore, but has to be roadworthy soon.

I guess that’s where I’m headed with my question...what is a reasonable and safe re-plumbing option if I can’t find a direct fit? Of course, GM in Italy says they have one for 93 Euro, plus shipping. Bet returns are a challenge. I have tried car-parts.com once already with no joy.

Brian, IMC (new to me) seems to be wholesale only...is there a way around that.? If I’m looking at the right place...Appears to be web catalog only so I’m missing your page 89 reference...my truck may not be all GM parts, but I have always tried to maintain the original configuration, so you have my attention with this idea.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/search.aspx?searchTerms=power steering cooler

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=89

LMC is not wholesale only. Looks like they only have the lines without the cooler for the 4.3.

While I do prefer to "keep it stock", txab posted the cooler I would use if I had to repair it and OEM parts were no longer available.

• Like 1

Muddkatt...My error...I read the other post as IMC not LMC...I appreciate the correction and info. LMC is new to me too. I see your point about the 4.3L  only listed without cooler, and the coolers only listed for the bigger engines. I have already ordered the line without the cooler to get it moving again from your link. Worst case I use it to add another external cooler. The silly 'cooler' I do have is only about a foot of tubing stuffed inside the frame rail...behind the air dam below the bumper...how much cooling could it actually do? 

Thank you all for the help, I think I just found my favorite GM truck forum.