New guy, need help my friends!

Hello all, newbie here. I tried a search and got like a billion unrelated hits, I know this has been covered..

just bought a 2017 Silverado from dealership, 37,000 miles so warranty just went away. 4 days after purchase the lovely touchscreen goes black. Take it in, they have it for 3 hours and tell me the diagnostic machine is broken, so they can’t diagnose until next week when I bring it again unreal. Now I’m just livid with this place.

The screen still works, back up camera comes on. They tell me it’s 1 of 2 things, either the HMI or another part. They wanna charge me $200 if it’s 1 part and $700 if it’s the other, saying both need to be programmed at a cost of $300 to do so.

Has anyone fixed their own or gone with an aftermarket system? Thanks in advance

Throw an effing fit.  Are you telling me they didn’t warranty a new (used) truck for 1yr/12K miles?  The rip off used car dealer on the corner probably gives you 30 days or more (feel free to use that when you’re enlightening them). Seriously, don’t accept this shit.  Get loud.  Stay polite, but make sure everyone can hear you.  Speak to the owner.  Not the manager, the OWNER.

At the very least, they should cut you some serious slack.  Like their cost of the parts and no labor.  But even that is insulting.

Spend some time looking over your paperwork.  Did they say they inspected the truck?  If so, let them know how miserably they failed.  Is there any out clause?  Threaten to return it.  Are you positive there’s no warranty of any kind?

This ain’t over. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Throw an effing fit.  Are you telling me they didn’t warranty a new (used) truck for 1yr/12K miles?  The rip off used car dealer on the corner probably gives you 30 days or more (feel free to use that when you’re enlightening them). Seriously, don’t accept this shit.  Get loud.  Stay polite, but make sure everyone can hear you.  Speak to the owner.  Not the manager, the OWNER.

At the very least, they should cut you some serious slack.  Like their cost of the parts and no labor.  But even that is insulting.

Spend some time looking over your paperwork.  Did they say they inspected the truck?  If so, let them know how miserably they failed.  Is there any out clause?  Threaten to return it.  Are you positive there’s no warranty of any kind?

This ain’t over. 

I think your shock  supports the idea that there is more to this story.  Was it a GM dealership? Was there some sort of "as is" agreement? 

The screen only comes on when I put it in reverse. These thieves offered me nothing. I’ve sent a very long email to the owner of Carl Black Chevy. The sales manager actually had the stones to tell me that I should have gotten the extended warranty, if not I should have tried for a crystal ball. I’m beyond livid.

.02 guess  - There was a software update to my '16 for problems sometime in late '17 for the screen going blank ........in fact the update also automatically updated my Nav maps and gave me a new trial version of the traffic reports.

Mine had done it once prior to the mandatory update and I had pulled the RDO fuse to kill power to the screen circuit and reboot the radio head......video returned and lasted until the update..

Wow... this absolutely sucks !!   Like others have said, shame on dealership for not offer any kind of warranty.  I could understand if you went back 15,000 miles  and 18 months later,  but 4 days?   Just a thought .... have tried calling the 1-800 # for GM customer service?  You never  know ... they may side in your favour, it’s just a phone call.   Good luck....

Just finished a scathing email to the dealership. Got a call within 10 minutes from my salesman. Stated he called the owner of the dealership at home and forwarded the email. Stated I should be expecting a call in the morning. We shall see..

1 hour ago, bentarm13 said:

Just finished a scathing email to the dealership. Got a call within 10 minutes from my salesman. Stated he called the owner of the dealership at home and forwarded the email. Stated I should be expecting a call in the morning. We shall see..

There you go.  Hang in there.  They don’t want you to plaster this all over social media.  Be polite but firm.

I had the black screen. Just eeked in prior to bumper to bumper running out.

They tried a new hmi cable, and ended up replacing the head unit as well.

Keep up the good fight. This issue, if both the hmi and head unit need fixing is most likely well north of $1000.

Best of luck.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Update! The dealer got the diagnostic cable in. Took in my truck and they immediately placed me in a loner (truck not a spark!!). Called me 4 hours later, need a complete new stereo and HMI. Also need a new rear view mirror because mine keeps sagging like the bosom on a....I’ll stop here. $1400 total, yup $1400. Then the service manager asks me if I would be willing to pay the $125 diagnostic fee and GM will cover the rest. Now that’s how you keep a customer happy. 
Now we wait, manager said I need 4 different parts and with the strike it could be a couple days, a week, longer to get em all in. 
Wish me luck my fellow Americans!

Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy driving a brand new truck for the next few weeks. When I took my crew cab 1500 in first they gave me an Encore and after they replaced my cam and lifters my #6 injector failed within a couple weeks. Took it back expecting them to fix the problem they likely caused. This time they put me in an Envision and they told me the injector isn't under warranty and it's not their fault it failed. So, needless to say not thrilled with my dealer experience. I ended up replacing all 4 bank 2 injectors today myself for $400. Dealer wanted $1400.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk