Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed (OBDII scan tool)

dye

Question

I just did the brake pipe kit install on my '01 K2500 Suburban.  I have a friend with a Bosch scan tool that is able to command the ABS unit to run its self-bleed routine.

What I am missing is the "how to" properly do this procedure.

I have access to the Chilton's for my year Suburban, and it has a "Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed" section.  It starts out with a full normal bleed, followed by

Step 10: Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Automated Bleed Procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test.

Sadly, no mention is made of the actual mechanics of the "Automated Bleed Procedure".  

Could someone cue me in?  How many test sequences need to be performed.  Truck running, or not running?  I assume the procedure lets air in the ABS block to get pushed out towards the calipers.  Do you need to crack a bleeder on each of the three circuits (rear, RF, LF)  to make room so the air has someplace to go?

I did search the forums, with no success.  Thanks in Advance!

4 answers to this question

Once you start the procedure, the scan tool will tell you what to do next. They walk you right through it.

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

Once you start the procedure, the scan tool will tell you what to do next. They walk you right through it.

It is a Bosch tool, not the GM Tech-II.  It really doesn't tell you what to do, gah.

That's strange. My Autel goes through the whole procedure step by step.