Adding Factory Fogs to LT

Has anyone ever had any experience adding factory fog lights to a 2016-18 Silverado? I have a 18’ LT that did not come with fogs and I was planning on buying the OEM bumper with the fog slots, fog lights, harness and switch.. but when I called the dealer they said that it would require “reprogramming” of the module and it may not work? Seems sort of odd that Chevy would not give you the ability to add OEM fog lights.. 

Its been done before. How bad do you want them? Obviously your 18 would have a different bumper, but the idea is the same.

Here's a thread you can check out:

Edited by aseibel

GM has no programming to make it work. 

If you buy all the factory stuff you have to put an aftermarket switch to make them work anyway.  GM doesn't make an accessory kit, therefore they have no calibration for the BCM to make it all work.  The one GMC we attempted here was missing the printed circuit relay in the fuse block too. 

I can buy a LOT of aftermarket lighting for $1400 in parts that would be spent on for nothing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Its been done before. How bad do you want them? Obviously your 18 would have a different bumper, but the idea is the same.

Here's a thread you can check out:

Pretty bad honestly, the last two days here in Pennsylvania have been pretty foggy and visibility with my headlights was pretty poor. From and aesthetic standpoint, I do like the look of the OEM fogs. They break up the bumper a little bit, in a good way.

Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out now..

30 minutes ago, newdude said:

GM has no programming to make it work. 

If you buy all the factory stuff you have to put an aftermarket switch to make them work anyway.  GM doesn't make an accessory kit, therefore they have no calibration for the BCM to make it all work.  The one GMC we attempted here was missing the printed circuit relay in the fuse block too. 

I can buy a LOT of aftermarket lighting for $1400 in parts that would be spent on for nothing. 

Really? I thought I could just buy this and it should work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GM-14-2017-SILVERADO-SUBURBAN-SIERRA-HEADLIGHT-FOG-LIGHT-SWITCH-23187804/192614794236

1 hour ago, GTPprix said:

FYI we can program to enable these in the factory way you just have to wire them in :) The icon will display on the dash as well etc. 

Besides the fog lights can you program in Hill Descent?

2 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

Pretty bad honestly, the last two days here in Pennsylvania have been pretty foggy and visibility with my headlights was pretty poor. From and aesthetic standpoint, I do like the look of the OEM fogs. They break up the bumper a little bit, in a good way.

Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out now..

Honestly if it’s for visibility I wouldn’t bother. They look nice but they don’t do a whole lot. Go to Rigid or BajaDesigns and get a decent set of pods or a light bar OR you can get your lights retrofitted like I am going to do with a nice projector and HID kit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DominatorZ71 said:

Honestly if it’s for visibility I wouldn’t bother. They look nice but they don’t do a whole lot. Go to Rigid or BajaDesigns and get a decent set of pods or a light bar OR you can get your lights retrofitted like I am going to do with a nice projector and HID kit.

This is true. I know each model truck is different, since they all have different headlights. But on my 15, the headlights are very good. Turning on the fogs doesn't change much, it may illuminate the edge of the road better right at my "hood line" of vision, but it does nothing more than 20 feet in front of me.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, DominatorZ71 said:

Just out of curiosity, is your truck lifted or leveled? Two of my friends have K2’s with fogs.. one with a 2.5 level and 20” wheels, one bone stock.

When my friend without the level has his fogs on, you’re right, they don’t do a whole lot.. but when my other friend has them on it seems to make quite a noticeable difference due to the lack of rake/downward front end angle negated by level I’m assuming.

49 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Just out of curiosity, is your truck lifted or leveled? Two of my friends have K2’s with fogs.. one with a 2.5 level and 20” wheels, one bone stock.

When my friend without the level has his fogs on, you’re right, they don’t do a whole lot.. but when my other friend has them on it seems to make quite a noticeable difference due to the lack of rake/downward front end angle negated by level I’m assuming.

My truck is lifted 5" and yes the light output was decent was factory but not worth more than $200 imo. Better options out there.

• Like 1

I did some digging around and actually found a used OEM bumper in excellent condition for $175 and a new set of OEM fogs on eBay for $200. So it looks like I’m going to go the OEM route. 

Seems like I got pretty luck in both cases, as most used bumpers seem to being going for upwards of $500 and before I for the eBay listing for the fogs I bought I couldn’t find a new OEM one for cheaper than $200, let alone two.

We’ll see how the bumper looks in person though. It looks pretty good in the pics..

• Like 1