Bottle Jack Improvement

AE1M

So when looking at the front end and the jacking process of putting the jack under the control arm (which I prefer so the tire doesn't sag down) to change a flat, there is not much metal to get the top of the bottle jack secure IMO.  I decided to use a hockey puck but wanted to make sure it was centered on the bottle jack.   I built this centering adapter.

I cut two wooden 3" disks from 3/4" plywood.

499972786_3indisk.jpg.f1144ed2002b1a7b39763252853dea12.jpg

Then I cut a 1.5" hole in one of the two making a plywood donut.

781345907_3inhole.jpg.0101d4385196c09f54737d2628a0e515.jpg

Now arrange them with the donut one on the bottom, solid in them middle, hockey puck on top.

367344846_3stack.jpg.cbee6734dd68bea999b96af0924852fe.jpg

Used wood glue for the disks and industrial adhesive between solid disk and hockey puck

stack.jpg.0852c221514c4926ce41c693d2ed4a62.jpg

Finished product sits perfectly centered on the bottle jack to which I also attached a larger base for stability

done.jpg.6c68a8a253ba0a56942dff93ed0d2546.jpg

Now a bit more confident to jack up the truck with the bottle jack.

Rather have a bottle of Jack.

This arrangement adds about a total height of about  3" with the base, solid disk, and hockey puck.

Feel much more secure.

Bob

• Like 1

I'm with diyer, floor jack and jackstands for me, but I run a vehicle up on blocks when possible. I do have a seldom used bottle jack, but use it for chores other than automotive. The most dangerous jack to me is the hi-lift jack, favored by the serious off road jeep enthusiasts. More years than I want to admit to, I worked for a farmer that called the hi-lift jack, a COFFIN jack, probably for good reason, maybe it went back to years of yor when they were used to lift fully loaded horse drawn wagons.

I get what you are trying to accomplish, but that's a lot of work for a jack you should rarely if ever need to use, only in an emergency.

If you are jacking the truck up in your garage for maintenance, there are many better options available.

Plus where do you store that thing? As it no longer fits in its "home" with all that wood attached to it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I get what you are trying to accomplish, but that's a lot of work for a jack you should rarely if ever need to use, only in an emergency.

If you are jacking the truck up in your garage for maintenance, there are many better options available.

Plus where do you store that thing? As it no longer fits in its "home" with all that wood attached to it?

I have the under-rear seat storage organizer and it fits in there laying on it's side.

49 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

How do you jack the truck up under the control arm?    Honestly Ive never had an issue with the narrow base and Ive abused the heck out of it.

Just sounds dangerous. ?

This was recommended by my service advisor, if lift by the frame element the tire hangs down and so you have to extend the bottle jack very high.

46 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Floor jack under the frame for me.

Lifts in every shop let wheels hang.

To each thier own.

:)

Not an option when traveling, especially on hunting trips where nearest garage is nowhere near.

Hey mook

As far as I know most vehicles come with a botle jack.

Have used them when neccessary but prefer floor jack and jack stands in the garage.

When I hunted and RV'd I carried a cheap floor jack and lumber for jacking.

It is a truck so not hard to carry.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Hey mook

As far as I know most vehicles come with a botle jack.

Have used them when neccessary but prefer floor jack and jack stands in the garage.

When I hunted and RV'd I carried a cheap floor jack and lumber for jacking.

It is a truck so not hard to carry.

Yeah I know!  They are dangerous is all I am saying.

50 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

They certainly are.  I will not get under a car  without resting it on a jackstand but im totally comfortable jacking a truck up on flat pavement or surface with one.

For sure. Obviously the bottle jacks are not the best solution, but they are compact and work in a pinch. I tested mine out to confirm it has adequate extension. I would have no hesitation to use it on the side of the road to put on the spare tire if needed. Of course you wouldn't climb under the truck, you only need it lifted for 5 minutes to swap a tire.

How many of you have used the emergency jack ever? I've never needed one on my own car in 20 years, but I have helped 2 people put on a spare with their own OEM jack (both scissors). I don't get all the fuss about this jack that you may use 1 time for the life of the vehicle at most.